S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Replace Valve Covers w/ Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Valve Covers w/ Gaskets?

My B7 S4 is at the Audi shop for 75k service, there is apparently some oil leaking from valve covers, Audi USA recommendation is apparently to replace valve covers when replacing the gaskets, at something like $700 per for new (high temp plastic) valve covers. Sound right? I guess there is no way to check the integrity/shape of the old valve covers.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MarshallB
My B7 S4 is at the Audi shop for 75k service, there is apparently some oil leaking from valve covers, Audi USA recommendation is apparently to replace valve covers when replacing the gaskets, at something like $700 per for new (high temp plastic) valve covers. Sound right? I guess there is no way to check the integrity/shape of the old valve covers.

Thanks!
No, you don't need to replace the covers unless they are warped. Are they the aluminum version or the composite version? What year is your S4?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joeycuccaro
No, you don't need to replace the covers unless they are warped. Are they the aluminum version or the composite version? What year is your S4?
How do you check to see if the valve covers are warped? Eyeball it? 2006 and mine are plastic. Couple of pics attached.

They also want $300 to put in a new fuel filter, $85 for the filter, $225 for labor. Is there anything tricky about getting air out of/pressurizing the fuel system?
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How do you check to see if the valve covers are warped? Eyeball it? 2006 and mine are plastic. Couple of pics attached.

They also want $300 to put in a new fuel filter, $85 for the filter, $225 for labor. Is there anything tricky about getting air out of/pressurizing the fuel system?

Where are you located? I do work on the side at a fraction of that. Those prices are ridiculous. Your covers would be warped if you had excess leaks coming from the covers. The plastic ones don't warp, which is why they replaced the aluminum ones.

Sounds like someone is looking to take you for a ride. $225 for fuel filter labor?!? It can be done in 20 minutes. Run away from this dealer.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where are you located? I do work on the side at a fraction of that. Those prices are ridiculous. Your covers would be warped if you had excess leaks coming from the covers. The plastic ones don't warp, which is why they replaced the aluminum ones.

Sounds like someone is looking to take you for a ride. $225 for fuel filter labor?!? It can be done in 20 minutes. Run away from this dealer.
Rye Brook.

Yeah, I might be done with that dealer's service shop. I just ran over there and leaking is not bad, service rep had one of the mechanics speak with me, he said they preferred to replace valve covers, and when they don't the cars often come right back with leaks. As I was waffling service rep then told me that if I cancelled the job I would have to pay for the cover they had to order (they had one in stock). He also pointed out that if I did the job with the new cover it would be guaranteed for 12 months. Parts guy, who is nice, told me they did three sets of B7 S4 valve covers in the last year, and that is probably out of 50-100 valve cover gasket jobs (one of the larger dealers in the area, should be easy to guess who given where I live).

Decided to put it off, service rep then told me he would not charge me for the part, but that the shop's policy is to take the cost out of his commission. The word commission explains a lot.

I will clean things up and keep an eye on it (maybe also check torque on bolts), and when it bugs me enough (and is warmer) I might just do the gaskets myself and see how that goes. Or get you to come do the work :-)

Annoys me that I let them get me on the fuel filter, I could have easily done that myself. Pick up the car later today, we'll have an interesting chat about the labor for that ...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Rye Brook.

Yeah, I might be done with that dealer's service shop. I just ran over there and leaking is not bad, service rep had one of the mechanics speak with me, he said they preferred to replace valve covers, and when they don't the cars often come right back with leaks. As I was waffling service rep then told me that if I cancelled the job I would have to pay for the cover they had to order (they had one in stock). He also pointed out that if I did the job with the new cover it would be guaranteed for 12 months. Parts guy, who is nice, told me they did three sets of B7 S4 valve covers in the last year, and that is probably out of 50-100 valve cover gasket jobs (one of the larger dealers in the area, should be easy to guess who given where I live).

Decided to put it off, service rep then told me he would not charge me for the part, but that the shop's policy is to take the cost out of his commission. The word commission explains a lot.

I will clean things up and keep an eye on it (maybe also check torque on bolts), and when it bugs me enough (and is warmer) I might just do the gaskets myself and see how that goes. Or get you to come do the work :-)

Annoys me that I let them get me on the fuel filter, I could have easily done that myself. Pick up the car later today, we'll have an interesting chat about the labor for that ...
I would walk away from this place. Is it a bunch of **** that they are telling you they "like to replace" the valve covers during the gasket change. Well, of course they do if they can make profit off a $700 set. It especially annoys me that they want to replace your composite covers. I could understand if you had aluminum because they are known to warp.

I am in NJ. If you are somewhat local, please let me know when you need maintenance work done. Hate seeing people being robbed by dealers like this
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would walk away from this place. Is it a bunch of **** that they are telling you they "like to replace" the valve covers during the gasket change. Well, of course they do if they can make profit off a $700 set. It especially annoys me that they want to replace your composite covers. I could understand if you had aluminum because they are known to warp.

I am in NJ. If you are somewhat local, please let me know when you need maintenance work done. Hate seeing people being robbed by dealers like this
Actually $660. But EACH, so $1320.

I thought the main problem with the aluminum covers was the coating flaking off, inside and outside. Anyway, they are not leaking badly so it can wait a bit, and I can clean things up and keep an eye on things to better diagnose location of any seeps/leaks. Also I found your very good how-to post on this, so I might give that a whirl when it warms up a bit, and I am not too far from the Tappan Zee and your offer is noted!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually $660. But EACH, so $1320.

I thought the main problem with the aluminum covers was the coating flaking off, inside and outside. Anyway, they are not leaking badly so it can wait a bit, and I can clean things up and keep an eye on things to better diagnose location of any seeps/leaks. Also I found your very good how-to post on this, so I might give that a whirl when it warms up a bit, and I am not too far from the Tappan Zee and your offer is noted!
Wow the price must have went up from the last time i checked. Always worth a try to do it yourself. Only caution is the rear bolt covers. If you would like to bring her down let me know! Glad you decided against them replacing the covers. Very smart move
Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow the price must have went up from the last time i checked. Always worth a try to do it yourself. Only caution is the rear bolt covers. If you would like to bring her down let me know! Glad you decided against them replacing the covers. Very smart move
Joey are you still around. I have some questions that only your expertise on the B6 can help with. Valve covers, abs module and abs sensor.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pnice1p
Joey are you still around. I have some questions that only your expertise on the B6 can help with. Valve covers, abs module and abs sensor.
Still around. Shoot me an email at joeycuccaro at gmail dot com