S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S-tronic issue jerk at full stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the dreaded gearbox malfunction warning twice in the last ten days. I took my car to my local dealer for a look. My car is now out of the basic 80,000 km and now into the second 40,000 km extended with a minor deductible. The warning light came and went. No issues with the tranny seems to be working fine. My service rep. said not to worry unless the light remains on. My GTI with now 212,000 km with DSG has been flawless. It might be time to get rid of this S4 while it still has some value and under warranty. I fear a tranny replacement in the near future and with my luck after my extended warranty passes.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't experienced the bucking when slowing to a stop issue. However, I've noticed that if I put the car into dynamic and do a full throttle pass of another car(s), that on occasion, right after I lift off the throttle, I feel and hear a sort of banging sound from the rear of the car (kind of like something is decoupling) - rather hard to describe. It seems to be less of an issue if I ease off the throttle more slowly instead of just taking my foot completely off the throttle. I think it's an issue that others have written about as well. Didn't mean to take this thread too far off topic ...
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure enough the problem is still there and it seems to be getting worse the longer I'm in traffic. It also seems as if heat is the issue because when the car is cold it shifts like a champ.
I'm just tired of running back to the dealer and pretty much predicting what they will tell me when I get it back. Sounds something like "The tech took it on a road test and it did not reproduce the same issue that was in question". All they are doing is resetting what was reset last time and performing clutch adaptations. I really don't think it's a software issue, it's 100% a hardware issue.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I read over in the A3 forum that an owner had this identical problem. They replaced the TCM and problem was gone.

Here is a link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2834663

DSG Problem Solved is the title.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Audicted2quattro
Got the car back from the dealer last week. This is what was done: Performed clutch adaption, cleared fault codes in 3 modules (which were coded wrong). Instrument cluster, central elec., comfort and conv. No TCM faults found. In the process I lost my lap timer and the option the control the windows with the remote.

Seemed like the problem was fixed. However, in 1 hour of bumper to bumper traffic it is back again but now the jerking during a stop in more subtle. The new thing is while taking off it sorta bucks as if you are driving a manuel and you get off the clutch too fast. Sure enough it is going back today..

I'll keep you guys posted.
I have only had the jerky bucking issue frrm a stop. its rare that I have it but I do have it and it drives me nuts. I am thinkibg of starting a thread about this issue only. Maybe we can get some answers

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 10-09-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

OP was the issue ever solved? After having the carbon buildup cleaned, I found my car started jerking. It's only in traffic when crawling to a stop. Since my car shows the gears, I know its when she drops into 1st gear. Truth is... it shouldn't drop into 1st at all it shouldn't even be in gear.

I have a VAG and been debating trying to reset my DGS on my own. Haven't seen anyone do it on the b8 s4.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TO407S4
OP was the issue ever solved? After having the carbon buildup cleaned, I found my car started jerking. It's only in traffic when crawling to a stop. Since my car shows the gears, I know its when she drops into 1st gear. Truth is... it shouldn't drop into 1st at all it shouldn't even be in gear.

I have a VAG and been debating trying to reset my DSG on my own. Haven't seen anyone do it on the b8 s4.
Hello all,
Has anyone reset the DSG adaptation? My issue only started after I had a service on my car. (carbon buildup cleaning)

I have some spare time for once tomorrow and would like to reset it.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TO407S4

I have a VAG and been debating trying to reset my DGS on my own. Haven't seen anyone do it on the b8 s4.

Mine was never fixed. My S4 had a slew of issues, including a B&O sound system tha kicked off now and then (which the Audi shop could never fix), the A/C lost some ability to blow cool air and my rear diff leaking twice. I fought hard into getting AoA to buy back my S4 through the FL Lemon law (I didn't need an attorney to do this) which fortunately they did because of the issues. Funny thing is on the morning of the buy back appt, I pulled the S4 out and once again I saw the same rear diff leak! I am glad I got rid of the car. I missed it over an 18 month stretch because it really did drive nice when it was working properly but I made lemonaid out of lemon (pun intended) when I used AoA's buy back money 18 months later to get into an R8.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audicted2quattro
I noticed lately when driving in traffic when the car get's hot (oil temp 215F) and when I take off, then come to a complete stop the tranny jerks forward a bit. Just a little while a go it felt like someone hit me from the back, that's how bad it was. Wondering if anyone had any of these issues.
I had this then after two weeks the gear stopped and turned to be a mecatron failure cost a fortune

Last edited by SandBoxCity; 01-12-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Jump in Transmission when coming to a stop ?

2008 Audi S4 Carrio - Transmission jumps when coming to a stop. Oddly enough I have confirmed this only happens when my air conditioning is on, (It does not happen when my air conditioner is off) ! Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem and suggestions for resolving ?