S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 Audi S4 Engine Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Audi S4 Engine Mod

Need some help from the experts on this forum. I bought a certified preowned 2011 Audi S4 this Jan. Check Engine light turned on a few days ago. Took it to an Audi dealer (didnt buy the car from this dealership) and was told that the engine was modified (TD1 Code) thus voiding my warranty. I didn't modifiy or do anything to the Engine since I bought the car. Went back to the Audi dealer I bought the car from and was told that according to there service records no engine modifications were made to the car so they are not resonsible for it. In other words they are washing there hands off of this car and I'm stuck with a car that no longer has the engine warranty.

Is it possible to find out when the engine was chipped? As per the first dealership it was a software modification. Any other advice on how to rectify this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it may be time to talk to an attorney. Maybe even the local or state prosecutor in charge of fraud investigations, for the selling dealer.

BTW, chipping the car does not automatically void the warranty. It only voids it in cases where the chip could have influenced it. You did not say what error the CEL pointed out.

Last edited by gforaker; 08-25-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, a car with a modded engine or ECU CANNOT BE CPO'D. If in fact an Audi dealership did certify your car with a modified ECU, they would either have to make good on the repair or I would contact AoA and file a complaint. Not a computer expert, but I would think that there would be some way to tell when the ECU was modified. If you do not get any satisfaction from AoA, then the recommendation on contacting an attorney is a good one. My used 2011 had service records from previous owner , including name and address. If you could find out the previous owner, He might be able to confirm the car had a tune, thus getting you off the hook. Not sure about privacy but I believe an attorney could make them release that info. Previous owner would not have any liability .

Last edited by DrGP; 08-25-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
FYI, a car with a modded engine or ECU CANNOT BE CPO'D. If in fact an Audi dealership did certify your car with a modified ECU, they would either have to make good on the repair or I would contact AoA and file a complaint. Not a computer expert, but I would think that there would be some way to tell when the ECU was modified. If you do not get any satisfaction from AoA, then the recommendation on contacting an attorney is a good one. My used 2011 had service records from previous owner , including name and address. If you could find out the previous owner, He might be able to confirm the car had a tune, thus getting you off the hook. Not sure about privacy but I believe an attorney could make them release that info. Previous owner would not have any liability .
Pretty sure a basic checksum would be able to detect the changes. I'd be pissed at the dealership.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check with GIAC, Revo and APR to see if they have records of the VIN and when it was tuned. Use that information to go to AoA to prove the certifying dealer didn't do their job. Demand a refund or new car. If necessary, consult attorney if you don't get anywhere, as others have suggested.

This isn't the first thread I've seen like this one. Some dealers really don't do much of anything when "certifying" a used car. Sorry to hear you have this headache.