S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 B8 S4 click behind the gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 B8 S4 click behind the gas pedal?

Hey guys,

I just got my brand new S4 2 weeks ago. Outstanding car so far! I would appreciate if someone could help me on the few questions listed below:

1- I hear and feel a slight click just behind the gas pedal when I start to drive slowly. I've read elsewhere that the cause of this has not really been solved yet by Audi. From reading other posts, a lot of people seem to be experiencing this... Is it just a normal check upon starting (ABS for example) or it may be something more serious?

2- The S-Tronic is awesome but sometimes jerks and the shifting of gears at low speed is quite rough even in Auto mode. However, it seems to get better when I press the gas pedal more firmly rather than «babying» it... Any advise on this? I'm pretty sure there is no problem with it and this is just the normal setting and functioning of the S-Tronic...

Thank you all,

Nicolas
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

S-Tronic is still, at its heart, a clutch-based transmission. There's no torque converter to buffer speed differences between the engine and drivetrain, so low speed shifts may occasionally result in some whiplash.

The worst I've experienced was when I immediately accelerated after coming to a stop (metering light on freeway on-ramp had just turned green). There was a strong bump as the transmission struggled to reverse the disengagement of the clutch. It reminded me of the time when my foot once slipped off the clutch pedal in my old B5 S4. Ouch.

Anyway, the key is to be careful about transitioning between deceleration/coasting and acceleration. You'll soon figure out when you'll have to give the transmission a little bit of time to sort things out.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

1- I haven't noticed anything with the accelerator noise, so I can't help you there.
2- Since you have the drive select, have you tried using comfort mode? If you do not like the way it shifts and you are accelerating lightly, his mode should help the shifts be more smooth than the auto mode (which is the one in which the car always starts).
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I noticed the clicking behind the gas pedal also. Only happens once when I start to drive off after the car has been shut off. Didn't really think too much of it. I figured it was just one of the car's quirks.

The jerkiness of the car is due to the S-tronic. It's not a torque converter automatic. It acts like a manual transmission car with a novice driver if you are not smooth with your input. Once you get used to the S-tronic's tendencies you will get better at smooth takeoff's. Just remember that a computer is shifting a manual transmission for you. You can't just mash the gas and expect it to be smooth, it won't behave like an auto. I even have stalled the S-tronic once before I learned how to drive smooth with it. Now that I've been driving it for three months I find it to be very smooth until I want it to be hard. You will get used to it.

My favorite thing is if I need a sudden surge of acceleration, say trying to squeeze into a hole in traffic, is to use the pedals to downshift, and just take off like a bat out of hell into the spot. Rev-matched S-tronic downshifts are a thing of beauty. I can't wait till I get my AWE exhaust installed to fully appreciate this feature.

Last edited by Muray; 07-06-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Muray
I even have stalled the S-tronic once before I learned how to drive smooth with it.
How did that happen? I just ordered a 6MT and was giving serious consideration to what I thought was a very fine S Tronic system but this is the first I have heard of this! Care to elaborate?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. Heard the click, like others, only once per day after it has been off for a while. No concerns.

2. The DSG may still be learning your style as well. Also, like S. Lin said, it does seem worst when you come to a stop and immediately gas it to get going again. If stopping, make a deliberate stop for a second or two and you will get a smoother take off. I have the gear display activated on mine and it stays in 2nd a long time when stopping. I think if you gas it without coming to a complete stop, it gets confused a bit right when it is about to d/s to 1. You'll get used to it and it will get used to you and it will all be smooth.

There is a also a stop/go mode that the transmission senses and you can see if it is on or off w/VAG. My theory is that is effects how it shifts. Haven't played with it a lot, but it is in there.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was slowing down to a red light in Dynamic mode, and I was almost stopped. Then the light switched to green and I had the road in front of me completely cleared, so I gave it full gas. The engine just bogged and died. My guess is the S-tronic was still in 2nd or 3rd gear as the car came to almost a full stop and when I gave it a full stomp on the gas it didn't have a chance to downshift and killed the engine. Surprised the hell out of me but it kind of cool that the S-tronic is no ordinary slushbox.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've have the gas pedal click too and was wondering what it was. Would be interesting to hear what it is if anyone knows.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pertaining to the gas pedal click, I thought it was related to the auto door lock feature. Cuz immediately after I feel the click, the auto lock kicks in and locks the door when reaching that certain mph speed. Not sure if that's just a silly guess of mine. But it seems to only occur during that scenario.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had my 2016 S6 for a couple of months now and I started hearing/feeling the click behind the accelerator about a month ago, I guess. It will only do it if the car has been off for a little bit and it won't do it until I really start to go on a main road, like say i'm pulling out of the neighborhood onto a busy street and want to get up to about 40...it'll click when i get up to about 15 mph.
I have noticed it to the point that I anticipate it haha. But.. i just chalked it up to the car "setting in" or something to do with it being an Audi and being fancy lol. I'd really like to know what it is, but seeing that this conversation is over 4 years old and mine is doing it now, i guess it's just an Audi thing.