S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2012 s4 - thermostat and check engine light issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 s4 - thermostat and check engine light issues

I am on my 3 rd back to the dealer in about a month. First time the car was throwing a add coolant warning and the engine temp was shooting very high. Had the car towed in and they replaced the thermostat and was fine for 3 weeks. Then the check engine / emission control light went on. Took her back in and they replaced a sensor that was logging 20 degrees too high and causing the light to go on. No issues with the car or engine. Brought her back last week and the same light is on again. Car is at the dealer and throwing the same code. They are to work with Audi corporate today.
Any one with similar issues?
This is my first Audi and I love the s4. My factory warranty comes due in August 2015 and as I have Over 10k in warranty repairs in 3.5 yrs and 35k miles I have asked Audi to help w the extended warranty. I am young a car lover but refuse to buy another Audi if this is the amount of **** that goes wrong. 10 k plus (current issue not included) in less than 4 yrs on a new s4.
Thoughts? Are you guys/gals having just as much in issues?

Key issues:
- rear differential replaced
- 2 front b&o speakers replaced
- sirus radio module and attentena
- thermostat replaced
Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your problems. I am on my 3rd B8 S4. So far I have had my WP crap out and road debris punctured my IC intercooler. Both left me stranded on the side of the road. Other than that, no problems with the cars. I know that doesn't help you, but I think your car may be non typical. If i were you, I would consider trading the car for something else. Otherwise, I would want an extended warranty that had extensive coverage. Audi will sell you one from Fidelity, but it will not be cheap. For the most part, these S4s have been prety reliable for a German built car.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure if I can make you feel better, but as a reference I have a 2010 with 75k miles and I have never skipped a single maintenance schedule from Audi. I change the oil and filter every 5k and trans fluid every 30k. Spark plugs changed every 30k.

Here are the issues and costs for me after warranty expired:

1. Bad Steering Rack: $1800 (Audi)
2. Bad Wheel Bearing: $300 (Replaced myself, very easy.)
4. 65K service $150
5. 75K service $700
6. Uses about 1 quart of oil every 2k miles (known problem with S4)
7. Broken visor clip (Still broke, but a $40 replacement)
8. Suffers from low speed hard shifts occasionally (gonna try the upgraded trans mount)

Audi has always given me 10-15 percent discount on repairs or service every time I have asked.

Not bad in my opinion for this car or maybe I have been lucky. As noted below I also have been running mods for about 30k miles, which is why I do certain maintenance more often.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammi20
Not sure if I can make you feel better, but as a reference I have a 2010 with 75k miles and I have never skipped a single maintenance schedule from Audi. I change the oil and filter every 5k and trans fluid every 30k. Spark plugs changed every 30k.

Here are the issues and costs for me after warranty expired:

1. Bad Steering Rack: $1800 (Audi)
2. Bad Wheel Bearing: $300 (Replaced myself, very easy.)
4. 65K service $150
5. 75K service $700
6. Uses about 1 quart of oil every 2k miles (known problem with S4)
7. Broken visor clip (Still broke, but a $40 replacement)
8. Suffers from low speed hard shifts occasionally (gonna try the upgraded trans mount)

Audi has always given me 10-15 percent discount on repairs or service every time I have asked.

Not bad in my opinion for this car or maybe I have been lucky. As noted below I also have been running mods for about 30k miles, which is why I do certain maintenance more often.
None of those issues seem unusual or unexpected. Parts do wear out .
Old 07-09-2015, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE - Sorry for the delayed response. The dealer along with Audi resolved the issue after having one of their techs from Germany come in to the dealer. Basically they needed to reset the Cooling software after the thermostat replacement. For whatever reason it was creating a false alarm after a few weeks and would throw the same check engine light on. I have had it back for a while now and its been good.

Audi also offered to split the 4 yr platinum extended warranty with me so that gives me 4 yrs / 48 k now. So feel much better about keeping the car.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammi20
8. Suffers from low speed hard shifts occasionally (gonna try the upgraded trans mount).......
Sounds like future mechatronic issues?
Old 07-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default $1200 thermostat replacement

I can feel your cooling issues pain! Just got done paying $1,200 for a new thermostat installation at the dealer. Car is an '11 S4 with 60K miles and was part of the thermostat recall back in 2011. So, this is the second t-stat its had so far. I hope this isn't a trend...
Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin3
I can feel your cooling issues pain! Just got done paying $1,200 for a new thermostat installation at the dealer. Car is an '11 S4 with 60K miles and was part of the thermostat recall back in 2011. So, this is the second t-stat its had so far. I hope this isn't a trend...
I remember when you could change a thermostat for around $8 and 15 min. of your time. I miss the 60's.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin3
Sadly it is a trend, mine was also replaced before, and went out. There are numerous instances of the failing thermostat
Old 07-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iNfiNkC
Sadly it is a trend, mine was also replaced before, and went out. There are numerous instances of the failing thermostat
That sucks. I get it that stuff breaks on cars, but you just wish that someone would have figured out a better placement or access to the t-stat. $1,200 is pretty crazy.

I lurk on R8 talk (dreaming...) and it sounds like a number of folks have had leaking magnetic ride shocks to the tune of $4K. So, it can always be worse. Although, come to think of it, I would rather pay $4K for new shocks on an R8 than $1.2K for an new t-stat on an S4!!!!

Quick Reply: 2012 s4 - thermostat and check engine light issues