S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

"Adaptive Cruise" terminology, did I get hosed by a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Adaptive Cruise" terminology, did I get hosed by a dealer?

I bought a 2015 S4 from an out of state dealer and just got the car.

The reason I bought out of state was because I could not find an S4 in the old interior style, with adaptive cruise and in the color I wanted. So I bought a pre-owned from a dealer (car has 8500 miles on it)

The listing included the following features (below) but it doesn't have the autonomous cruise control using radar, it just has "regular cruise"

-Prestige Package
-Drivers Assist Package
-Adaptive Cruise Control

My question is, does Audi call "regular cruise" "Adaptive Cruise Control", or does the car need to include "Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go"?

I'm trying to determine if this was an error on my part (stupidly should have confirmed in writing or via a photograph to verify it had the feature I wanted.

Unfortunately the dealer took the listing down from their site so I have very little if any proof that this feature was listed, and it was not in the contract, so I may not have any recourse.

the one peice of "evidence" I have is the secondary window sticker says "Adaptive Cruise Control". This is a "secondary sticker" on the windshield (possibly added by the dealer), NOT the official "window" sticker. Unfortunately the window sticker does not mention "Adaptive Cruise Control".

Any advice from you guys?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,067 Likes on 741 Posts

No, the regular cruise control is not called adaptive cruise. Also if you don't have adaptive cruise, then you also don't have the driver assist package as the adaptive cruise only comes with the driver assist package. If you don't have the radar sensor in the front, then you don't have adaptive cruise and you don't have the driver assist package. Looks like the dealer sold you a car different from what was advertised. The other way to tell if you have adaptive cruise is from the stalk. Adaptive cruise has a Distance +/- switch at the top and in the Audi Drive Select individual settings you can adjust the behavior of adaptive cruise from Comfort to Dynamic.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-06-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

If the official window sticker does not say Adaptive Cruise Control then it is likely not installed. There is only one Adaptive Cruise control, its features (like Stop and Go which wasn't part of CC in the early MYs) vary dependent on Audi model and year but ACC always includes one or two radar sensors in the front and the ability to adjust speed and distance based on traffic conditions. If you don't have at least one radar sensor in the front then you don't have adaptive cruise control. Another component that is part of ACC is the wiper stalk with the option to set the distance (in addition to speed).
Old 06-06-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the help.

What is in the Driver's Assist Package outside of ACC?

Is it just the automatic braking in emergency?

I do have the blind spot warning lights.

Do you have any suggestions if there is any recourse for me?

Here is the listing of the car which has been syndicated to edmunds.com and still showing up:
Used 2015 Audi S4 Prestige quattro Sedan in Dallas, TX | Edmunds.com

Chris

Chris
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Driver Assist Package in the 2015 S4 consists of ACC and Dynamic steering. Side assist was made standard as of MY2014. Emergency braking is a secondary function of ACC. You can read more about Dynamic steering on the Audi technology portal if you are not familiar with the technology.

Dynamic steering ? Audi Technology Portal

I would say you have legal recourse against the dealer for false advertising. You may wanna get Audi of America involved, however, it is not uncommon for dealers to misstate the options on a car. It's not necessarily intentional. When buying used, you should always call up AoA with the VIN and get a copy of the original Monroney sticker.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

You can find the 2015 S4 order guide at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...ation-2864721/

Driver Assist includes ACC and Dynamic Steering

Check the sticker in your manual or in the trunk near the spare tire, it should list all the options in your car, then check http://vag-codes.info/files/options/...tion-codes.pdf, 8T1 to 8T9 should be the cruise control options available in the S4.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the help guys. The dealer admitted full fault. I'm going to ask them to return the vehicle as I do not want the car without ACC.

Its going to be tough for them to cancel the car loan and get a refund for the sales taxes but I'm optimistic.....

Only thing sucks is this combo is extremely difficult to find..

When is the 2017 ready for delivery?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good luck. Just one more piece of info, given ACC seems to be high on your priority list. The ACC in this generation doesn't have stop&go. It deactivates below 16 mph and it can't be activated below 19 mph. This may sway you towards the new S4, which not only has stop&go, but also traffic jam assist. However, I don't know when the new S4s are starting to come in, but it will be MY2018.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Active cruise control? I hardly ever use the regular CC. Not sure why you want ACC but its your car and you should get what you want. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Active cruise control? I hardly ever use the regular CC. Not sure why you want ACC but its your car and you should get what you want. Good luck.
2015 RS5
I had to get ACC as part of the packge to get dynamic steering. I felt as you do but after using ACC l really like it, especially when on two lane roadswith no hope of passing. Keeps me from following too close and getting rock chips on my car.

On the lnterstate l go to the left lane to avoid slower traffic. Not a necessity but l enjoy it.

Quick Reply: "Adaptive Cruise" terminology, did I get hosed by a dealer?