S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anybody else had problem with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else had problem with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT?

The thread separated from the sidewall of one of my tires resulting of course in a flat tire.

Much to my surprise, I also found out that 2 of my 3 other tires where about to do the same. The thread has begun to separate from the sidewall on these tires also.

Has anybody else experienced a similar situation?

I find this unacceptable as it could have been extremely dangerous.

Sorry if my description is not clear. English is a second language for me.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had them as the OEM tire on my 2010. Thought they were great. Got 21K miles on them before replacing and they still had some tread left. Never have had an UHP Summer tire lasted that long for me. Any idea how old your tire were? BTW, your English is good enough.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How old are the set of Dunlop SportMaxx GT tires in your car? Are they the original? Rubber does get brittle over time. Here is a nice article on Tire Aging from the TireRack website (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...p?techid=138):

Nothing Lasts Forever...and Tires Are No Exception
Tires are manufactured by bonding rubber to fabric plies and steel cords. And despite the anti-aging ingredients mixed into the rubber compounds, there is a realization that tires are perishable, as well as a growing awareness that some tires will actually age out before their treads will wear out.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice, issued June, 2001, states, "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

"Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process. In ideal conditions, a tyre may have a life expectancy that exceeds ten years from its date of manufacture. However, such conditions are rare. Aging may not exhibit any external indications and, since there is no non-destructive test to assess the serviceability of a tyre, even an inspection carried out by a tyre expert may not reveal the extent of any deterioration."

More recently, the Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association (JATMA) recommended practice, issued May, 2005, states, "Customers are encouraged to have their vehicle tires promptly inspected after five years of use to determine if the tires can continue to be used (recommends spare tires be inspected as well). Furthermore, even when the tires look usable, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were made more than ten years ago be replaced with new tires. Additionally, because in some cases automobile makers--based on the characteristics of the relevant vehicle--stipulate in the owner's manual the timing of tire inspection and replacement. Please read and confirm the content of the owner's manual."

Several European vehicle manufacturers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual. However, it should be noted that European recommendations must include driving conditions that include roads like the German Autobahn, which allows vehicles to be legally driven at their top speeds for extended periods of time.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the tires that were on the car when I got it in February 2010. I am not sure about the mileage as I am in Canada and use winter tires for several months every year. I would say they had approximately 20 000 miles and had about 4/32rd left.

I have attached a picture of the tire that blew out and a picture of one of the 2 other tires that were about to do the same. As you can see the thread has separated from the sidewall. I would be extremely surprised if this is normal.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else had problem with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT?-img_2721.jpg   Anybody else had problem with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT?-img_2722.jpg  

Last edited by Denis54; 03-19-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis54
These are the tires that were on the car when I got it in February 2010. I am not sure about the mileage as I am in Canada and use winter tires for several months every year. I would say they had approximately 20 000 miles and had about 4/32rd left.

I have attached a picture of the tire that blew out and a picture of one of the 2 other tires that were about to do the same. As you can see the thread has separated from the sidewall. I would be extremely surprised if this is normal.
Yup, that's 7 year old rubber you got there. They may even be older than 7 years depending on when those were actually manufactured. At that age, the rubber has already deteriorated and it no longer has the same properties as fresh rubber. This is what I suspect. I have not had a chance to experience catastrophic tire failure like what you did in the past. But, I did own a car that had a 7 year old tire and the rubber was developing cracks all around it. I managed to get it changed out even it still had some tread left. It would have failed catastrophically at any time if I didn't.

Remember that rubber is an organic substance. It does dry out and get brittle over time.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis54

Patch it or plug it?