S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi MMI Connect does 3G on AT&T

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi MMI Connect does 3G on AT&T

Just got my 2014 S4 Prestige Estoril Blue, and figured I'd post up that it is indeed possible to get 3G with ATT. Not sure if I missed a newer thread, but everyone seemed to be stating that you could only get 2G. I swapped my phone sim in to test it, and sure enough it said 3G. Default APN was "Broadband", but switching it to "Phone" with blank usrname and pass seemed to work better. I hooked up my laptop to the hotspot to verify, and got 2-3gb down and 0.70-0.80 up with a ping of 60ms. Seems a lot better than what most were getting with T-mobile. Ran to the AT&T store, and added the new device to my share plan for $10 more a month. Rep had to redo some settings for the sim 3 times, but eventually it started to send and receive fine.

Hope this helps anyone that might have been turned off with the old info. Loving the new car!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Holy crap I'm trying this out on mine!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you have to change any other configuration?
I just tried what you said, either with Broadband or Phone as APN and did not work on mine.
Also, what is the software version of your MMI? I'm on HN+_US_3G_P0566 and was wondering if there is a way to update to latest version P0726 I guess??

Pictures will help ppl to try as well

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

What is the advantage of Audi Connect?

Looks to me like it could be useful on trips if you have passengers who want to use their computer.

We use our iPhones which seem to work just fine unless you are in a cell dead zone...we have several in the mountains. If it ran off satellite it would be better in the mountains (except for tunnels...cell does not work there either). We have ATT and it's 4G locally on our 5S iPhones.

Salesman told me it was handy on trips and you can just pay for a single month instead of paying every month.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill

Looks to me like it could be useful on trips if you have passengers who want to use their computer.

We use our iPhones which seem to work just fine unless you are in a cell dead zone...we have several in the mountains. If it ran off satellite it would be better in the mountains (except for tunnels...cell does not work there either). We have ATT and it's 4G locally on our 5S iPhones.

Salesman told me it was handy on trips and you can just pay for a single month instead of paying every month.
I see a lot of pros by using it, not only for trips but on daily basis, starting by Google Earth and street view, not to mention voice commands like online destination instead of manually adding a address (street, number, city, etc)... I found that really useful.
Also POIs, including closest gas station when you are running out of fuel.
The cons is that we could use our phones data plan for the connection - Tethering (phone as a hotspot), instead of paying additional.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll grab some of the version info off my MMI, and let you guys know.

Connect is good for looking up locations real quick on the NAV, and the Google maps is pretty cool. I probably won't use it much, but I figure for $10 a month it's worth it.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill

I feel like I've answered this exact question previously...
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like I'm currently on HN+_US_AU3G_P0715. Is there a difference with the AU3G vs just 3G? Would be nice to see a change log on version differences too if anyone has one.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabio Corsi
I see a lot of pros by using it, not only for trips but on daily basis, starting by Google Earth and street view, not to mention voice commands like online destination instead of manually adding a address (street, number, city, etc)... I found that really useful.
Also POIs, including closest gas station when you are running out of fuel.
The cons is that we could use our phones data plan for the connection - Tethering (phone as a hotspot), instead of paying additional.
You can still use voice command without having Audi Connect, right?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
You can still use voice command without having Audi Connect, right?
And you can use Navigation still after Audi Connect expires, right???

Quick Reply: Audi MMI Connect does 3G on AT&T