S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Can't decide between Audi or BMW, well there's more than that.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say the C400 4MATIC Mercedes with the V6 turbo is the first car that is showing up the original 2010 B8 S4. The steering isn't as good, but everything else is better. The power comes on smooth and fast. The Burnmeister audio package is standard and is B&O quality or greater. Full LED headlights are standard. The nav screen is iPad size and it's actually usable.

The C63 AMG is going to be a real monster.
Attached Images   
Old 09-29-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by westwest888
I have to say the C400 4MATIC Mercedes with the V6 turbo is the first car that is showing up the original 2010 B8 S4. The steering isn't as good, but everything else is better. The power comes on smooth and fast. The Burnmeister audio package is standard and is B&O quality or greater. Full LED headlights are standard. The nav screen is iPad size and it's actually usable.

I 100% agree and AMG on any Benz is the only way to go. The problem is I live in DC/MD that means snow 5months a year. A non-all-wheel drive (All AMG have Rear Wheel) is kind of suicide. That being said Mercedes has the best engines(aside from that W12 monster VW has), exterior, and in some cases interior IMO. If I lived in Cali or Miami and AMG would be my daily.

For Your Consideration: My uncle, who lives in VA, bought a 2014 S-Class with 4Matic and last christmas he got stuck on the side of the road in 1/4 inch of snow. The car was undrivable. I don't remember EXACTLY which S-Class he has so please take what I say with a grain of salt. But for me personally, once I saw that, I moved off all Mercedes. This is why in my original post I refer to the Benz as "crap"
Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

AMG's cars have always intrigued me but the lack of a manual transmission was the turn off for me. However as I age, I'm finding that automatic transmission isn't so bad after all. I'm one of those, "if it came with a manual, I'd get the manual" type. I do enjoy the interaction that a manual transmission provides but my preference is changing. I recently took a test drive in an E63 AMG and the torque was...there are no words to describe it...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1/ Most of the AMG models are coming with AWD because they have such insane horsepower.

2/ The Mercedes that got stuck probably had the wrong tires (summer). Driver error.

3/ The C63 with be using a dual clutch for the first time. MCT, I think. These are getting really good and are living up to their marketing hype for the first time in a generation. The PDK in my Boxster is the first "automatic" I've used that really nails it.

Last edited by westwest888; 09-29-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi vs the rest of the pack

Alright

Having read the initial question and all the responses, it comes down to what will make you the happiest. If all you worry about is repair cost, depreciation and lease rates, then get a Ford or something. We owned a S4 that my wife used as a daily driver. No problems...
Just a great car, dsg was terrific and the car moved fast enough for her. Either do the S4 or go home and be miserable about what you should have leased.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi has the best AWD system in the business. Subaru stole it. BMW and Merc systems are crap by comparison.

If you want AWD and a MT with a performance engine over 300 bhp the Audi S4 is the only way to go IMVHO.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I like the simpler lines of the Audi compared to all the junk sticking out or bolted on many BMWs and AMGs...seems that the higher the performance the more crapped up the design is. thus, the Audi is a much more stealth performance machine and will not attract law enforcement as much.

Best
Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by westwest888

Agree the c63 will be a beast. The C400 emphasizes luxury over sportiness per Mercedes from what I've read. I don't really think it's an S4 competitor...there are rumors of a c450 sport model which would compete head to head with the S4. I could get over the C class's somewhat strange styling but I doubt I could ever warm up to the Fisher Price nav screen drooping on the dash as if it had a broken mount.

Hdcs4
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HDCS4
Agree the c63 will be a beast. The C400 emphasizes luxury over sportiness per Mercedes from what I've read. I don't really think it's an S4 competitor...there are rumors of a c450 sport model which would compete head to head with the S4. I could get over the C class's somewhat strange styling but I doubt I could ever warm up to the Fisher Price nav screen drooping on the dash as if it had a broken mount.

Hdcs4
The C400 has a nicer interior than the new A3. Though the A3 does a much better job than the CLS.

The tablet look nav system is probably better than what Tesla has, in that it has lots of redundant buttons, spin wheels, gesture pad, steering wheel and voice controls.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Audi has the best AWD system in the business. Subaru stole it. BMW and Merc systems are crap by comparison.

If you want AWD and a MT with a performance engine over 300 bhp the Audi S4 is the only way to go IMVHO.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I like the simpler lines of the Audi compared to all the junk sticking out or bolted on many BMWs and AMGs...seems that the higher the performance the more crapped up the design is. thus, the Audi is a much more stealth performance machine and will not attract law enforcement as much.

Best
The AMG is going to have the electric sport diff technology.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default bmw vs audi

Hi,
I was faced with the same exact choice back when I was looking for my car - a used Audi S4 6speed vs a used BMW 335xi automatic. With brand-new cars, i think the S4 comes with more features stock than the BMW 335xi - so it's a bit more economical there.

The manual transmission was hard to find in the S4, and next to non-existent in BMW - which was already a disadvantage for the BMW. But with used vehicles, the BMW was definitely the more economical choice - given comparable vehicles specs, miles, features, etc - used 335xi's were at least 5k-7k $ cheaper than S4's.

About a year after I bought my used 6-speed 2011 S4, my buddy bought himself a brand-new custom ordered RWD 328xi and paid very close to the amount that i paid for my used 13k mile CPO Audi S4 - so that just goes to prove that you could get a used BMW for the same or cheaper.

I've spent a good amount of time driving and riding in his car as well, and certainly the interiors in his 2014 BMW are just as good as, if not better than my 2011 Audi. The BMW has its own charm and is a different beast than the Audi - i just love my S4 though.

Ultimately, it is a very personal choice - you should drive the specific vehicle you are about to purchase, whether it is the 335 or the S4 - if you are happy with the drive, then I don't think you'll regret it.
I have never looked back and said I wish I had got the Bimmer - every time i drive my S4, I only love it more.

Some pictures of the two cars next to each other (my buddy is an avid photographer):

My 2011 Audi S4 6MT right next to his 2014 BMW 328i (RWD)

His 2014 BMW 328i & my 2011 S4 6MT in the background