S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

CUSTOM RS4 Fog Light Grills (S-line) *DIY w/ PICTURES & VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CUSTOM RS4 Fog Light Grills (S-line) *DIY w/ PICTURES & VIDEO

First post here on the forums

So I don't understand why the choices for fog light grills for the s-line bumper are so limited, the only one I found was real expensive and had a load of complaints about the fitment

Anyway I really wanted to match my fog light bezels to the glossy rs4 front grill I have on my s4 and couldn't find any purchase options so with some inspiration which I found on the forums from "S4Tokyo" and some google images I decided to fab up some custom ones.

My criteria were:
- Gloss Black Mesh Grill behind the inserts to match my RS4 front bumper grill
- Black Carbon Fiber finish on the bezel itself to accent the CF Vinyl wrap I did on the amber reflector inside the headlight
- And lastly a Gloss Finish on the whole piece

Step 1: Remove the Grills
- This couldn't have been more simple, both took around 15 seconds to remove
- Simply pinch or compress down on the grill to release the tab and pull with some force, comes right out (Had 0 broken clips)

Pinch like this before pulling

Step 2: Cut out the Passenger Grill insert
- As we know our Driver side grill already has open slits but our passenger one has no gaps and is one solid piece (Or at least mine did lol)
- In order to be able to see the Black Mesh behind the grill we obviously have to remove this plastic backing
- I first taped off the edges of each insert to give me a guideline while cutting to en sure I didn't cut to high on any of the inserts
- I used the flat circle rotary head of my dremel and made a general outline to cut out the bulk of the plastic
- Then I put a finer circular head on the dremel to do the precise parts and clean up all the rough edges (This took about a full hour to get perfect)

- I timelapsed the whole process so you guys can see on the video below how i did it

Before

After

Step 3: Get ready for CARBON FIBER!
- I was going to paint them gloss black with a rattle can but you never get the real high gloss finish out of those rattles so i decided to sand down the grills with some fine sandpaper to get all the rough edges off / give the paint a grippy surface to stick to, and dropped the grills off to get hydrodipped in Black CF with a gloss clear coat.

Dull and Sandy

Nice and Glossy after the dip!

Step 4: Install Black Mesh
- Currently working on this step I have to make sure the mesh has a permanent bond to the bezel I don't want to have to re-do this project at any point
- So here is the grill I will be cutting down to size and installing, as well as the bonding agent I will be using to join the two.

I Will keep you guys updated should have them finished and installed on the car this week.
Leave some Feedback and comment with any questions! Haven't made too many DIY's so I'm sure I left some stuff out

Step 4: Mesh Insert Completed

So this part was easily the most difficult part of the whole project

- The first step is to get a marker and draw a general outline for the insert
- Once you have your general outline test fit it and make adjustments accordingly it was really hard to make sure you couldnt see any gaps in the mesh when looking at them straight on, the good part is the mesh is very flexible and forgiving so you can really mold it to all the dips and curves of the actual bezel housing
- Make your cuts and adjustments carefully cuz once you cut too much its a bitch to try and move your general outline piece around to hide it, (Did this on the first one I installed took me a while to maneuver it to get it just right)

- Once you have it fitted I took some old shoe lace and zip ties and secured the grill so it wouldn't move when I applied the glue
- If you use zip ties to hold it make sure you put some paper towel or cushion in the front of the tie so you don't damage the clear coat on the grill

- Next take your adhesive and apply it along the edges where it wont be seen in the front
- I applied it using a tooth pick and a Qutip
- Let it dry for 24 hours and YOUR DONE!

Finished Product!:

Very Last Step is to snap the chrome rings back on

On the car:

Best Part about this mod is theres obviously zero fittment issues because your using the OEM bezel
Whole thing cost me $200 well worth it IMO looks so complete with the RS4 Grill and other Carbon Fiber add ons I have on the car

DROP SOME FEEDBACK & ENJOY!!!

Danny