S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

ESP off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP off while driving

Hey guys,

I've been searching for the answer but couldn't find it. Is it safe to turn traction off while your driving? Someone told me I should always stop before turning it off.

BTW next week getting Apr stage 2...so excited. Those of you that have stage 2 feel free to comment
Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ESP is your friend. Trust me.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Ok, I think you are asking whether it is ok to turn off ESP while the car is in motion or if you should come to a stop first. Stopping first is safer from a point of view of having to take your eyes of the road and press the button for 5 seconds until it's turned off, but the car itself doesn't care.

However, to the question of whether it is safe to drive around with ESP off, the answer on public roads is no. Leave that for the track. If you have a B8.5, then you can put the ESP in Sport mode, which gives you added driving dynamics with higher thresholds, but you still have a safety net if you screw up.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ravill
Thanks for the safety tip and will keep in mind
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Ok, I think you are asking whether it is ok to turn off ESP while the car is in motion or if you should come to a stop first. Stopping first is safer from a point of view of having to take your eyes of the road and press the button for 5 seconds until it's turned off, but the car itself doesn't care.

However, to the question of whether it is safe to drive around with ESP off, the answer on public roads is no. Leave that for the track. If you have a B8.5, then you can put the ESP in Sport mode, which gives you added driving dynamics with higher thresholds, but you still have a safety net if you screw up.
Yes, my question was more towards mechanical rather than safety. I'm always on S mode bc of the performance and sound quality of my AWE exhaust. For some reason I feel the cars more responsive when I have ESP off....
So I'm guessing your saying even while in motion it's okay to turn off ESP and wont cause any mechanical issues.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by blackserieS4
So I'm guessing your saying even while in motion it's okay to turn off ESP and wont cause any mechanical issues.
Correct. All it does is deactivating a piece of software that sits there passively most of the time monitoring a bunch of sensors and only steps into action if the car gets out of shape. I'm assuming you are stage 1 now? One thing that never gets mentioned in the context of tuning is that while tuning makes the car more powerful, it doesn't adjust the ESP programming to take the extra power into consideration.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct. All it does is deactivating a piece of software that sits there passively most of the time monitoring a bunch of sensors and only steps into action if the car gets out of shape. I'm assuming you are stage 1 now? One thing that never gets mentioned in the context of tuning is that while tuning makes the car more powerful, it doesn't adjust the ESP programming to take the extra power into consideration.
Thanks for the info. Only mods I currently have are Awe catback and intake. Jumping straight into Stage 2.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It takes a lot to activate traction control with proper driving, like a 90 MPH sweeper as you'd see on track. If you see traction control light up other times it's because you did something to upset the chassis.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed. I've racked up over 60k miles and I've never had the traction control light come on.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ravill
+1

Quick Reply: ESP off while driving