S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How much oil does your S4 use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I needed to top up every 10K km with half a quart. Warning- the electronic oil gauge is not 100% accurate. I had an experience where I filled it with half a quart and the Low Oil light remained on. Talked to dealer who recommended driving the car for half hour and recheck. Light remained on after driving another hour. Since it was weekend and after hours, couldn't get hold of dealer. Added another half quart. Light remained on. Problem is that the actual gauge doesn't come on if the Low Oil light is lit. Because I was on a road trip, I added a total of 3 quarts with no change in the light status. Brought car in to dealer first thing on Monday. They said that I overfilled but couldn't explain why Low Oil remained on. Funny part is that Service told me that you can buy a dipstick but you have to store it in the trunk after using it because you can't close the hood with the dipstick in.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by canman
I needed to top up every 10K km with half a quart. Warning- the electronic oil gauge is not 100% accurate. I had an experience where I filled it with half a quart and the Low Oil light remained on. Talked to dealer who recommended driving the car for half hour and recheck. Light remained on after driving another hour. Since it was weekend and after hours, couldn't get hold of dealer. Added another half quart. Light remained on. Problem is that the actual gauge doesn't come on if the Low Oil light is lit. Because I was on a road trip, I added a total of 3 quarts with no change in the light status. Brought car in to dealer first thing on Monday. They said that I overfilled but couldn't explain why Low Oil remained on. Funny part is that Service told me that you can buy a dipstick but you have to store it in the trunk after using it because you can't close the hood with the dipstick in.
Here is why you overfilled it and what the dealership needs to do about it -

There is a HOOD SENSOR that is faulty. The MMI will not recalculate the oil level if it thinks the hood has not been opened, so you add and add and there is no change shown. This has happened to about 4-5 B8 S4's so far, they need to order a new hood sensor for you.

I can't believe that the shop had no idea why this was happening, it's not like I am a mechanic and I have seen and heard of this.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy

There is a HOOD SENSOR that is faulty. The MMI will not recalculate the oil level if it thinks the hood has not been opened, so you add and add and there is no change shown. This has happened to about 4-5 B8 S4's so far, they need to order a new hood sensor for you.

I can't believe that the shop had no idea why this was happening, it's not like I am a mechanic and I have seen and heard of this.

Thank you for telling me that. They did ask me if I opened the hood and closed it. I told them that I had to open up the hood and close it every time I added oil!
Calling my Audi Service now...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also can close the hood with the dipstick. Amazing that a dealer would tell you that you can't.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had mine low, but never a warning after my dealer service at 5K, I personally don't think they fully filled it, as a couple days after the service when I checked the MMI it showed me at 3/4 on the meter, and I know we use the same dealership Doc...
Same for me on my first service.Now I am at my second service for 24000km (about 15K mi.) and the electronic gauge is in between min. and max. and most of my driving distance is in town. Stop and Go, combined with à couple of hard starts ;-)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Mine burns none. My previous car didn't either. I broke both in aggressively with the Motoman technique (same as DrGP uses).
Same here. Did factory break in recommendations and at 12K, little or no oil consumed.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dipstick

Originally Posted by canman
Simply not true. Buy the correct dipstick from Audi or any of the tuners. It costs about $15 or so. It replaces the plug on the top of the valve/cam cover on the right bank. Although my electronic dipstick works perfectly, the manual dipstick is even more fool proof!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

no appreciable amount is used between changes in my car. Verified by dipstick and MMI. Definitely a fan of the aggressive break in, no oil use on my last 3 vag products that i used this technique.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How many miles were you at since the last service? WAZZU_STU had just rolled 30K on his B8 S4 when we stopped for him to add a qt. I had mine low, but never a warning after my dealer service at 5K, I personally don't think they fully filled it, as a couple days after the service when I checked the MMI it showed me at 3/4 on the meter, and I know we use the same dealership Doc...
Well, yeah, it's been 7500 miles or so since the first oil change, and there's a chance they didn't add enough.... but this is the 2nd time I've put some oil in there, unless they drain it when they change the water pump.

Doesn't really bother me either way honestly.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm one of the them and NWS4GUY gave me this same advice too. He was right on. I added a quart and a half before I said to myself, something ain't right, and I stopped. Glad I didn't hurt the engine.I think this is a serious design flaw. I'll bet somebody somewhere has f'd up their car this way.

Quick Reply: How much oil does your S4 use?