Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-present

If you had to do it over again... (Options)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 268353

Default If you had to do it over again... (Options)

Hi guys, first post...

Looking to pick up an S4 in the next 4-6 weeks, depending on how fast I can unload my Ford Raptor for the right price... Currently in the fun, but agonizing stage of choosing a new car, and pouring over the options.

I'm about 90% set on the S4 at this point, as I basically want the fastest, most fun sports sedan I can get my hands on. It was between this, or the (you already know) the 335xi. Both similar price once you option them out, but the appeal of so fewer Audi's on the road has me leaning towards the S4. In SoCal, the 3-series is as popular as a Ford Focus.

My question:

Those with newer model S4's, if you were to purchase again, are there any options you WISH you had purchased, but didn't? Or on the flipside, options you thought you wanted, but in the end don't have any use for them or wouldn't add a second time around?

Obviously, with this car approaching the mid 60's optioned out, I want to get all I can but AVOID options that I may end up just having no use for down the road... my wife is already going to be a bit tweaked if I spend 60K, haha.

Any insight would be helpful! I can't help buy build it online with every damn option added. haha.

Matt
BlueSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158

I would have gotten Estoril Blue instead of Moonlight blue.

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 258160

I too would have gone with the Estoril Blue. As for options, I'm not sure if I would get leather again. Very glad I got the sports diff and the manual transmission.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 266070

Go with the S4
Old 10-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 266070

DO not get an automatic though mainly because 1 their boring to drive, and 2 their much slower.. a buddy of mine has the 7spd and got stomped on by a car or 2 last night
Old 10-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 251538

I'm very pleased with the Napa leather seats, adaptive suspension and sport differential. For me, well worth the extra cost.

Nice to have options I could live without...carbon fiber trim and 19 inch wheels
Mods: EuroCode Shifter/Milltek Non-Resonated Exhaust/Alu Kreuz Stabilizer/ECS Mesh Grille/Red Supercharged Badges

2012 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet / 1961 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible

Last edited by GRMick; 10-07-2013 at 03:13 AM.
GRMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 244011

Actually, I would option it exactly as I bought it off the dealer lot. I like the leather and love the sport diff and adaptive damping. I originally wanted Carbon Fiber trim but had to settle for stainless steel. I have come to really appreciate the stainless still with piano black around gauges now, and since it is no longer offered I am really glad I have it.

I also like Estoril but have read too much about maintenance difficulties / swirling so I would just pick another color. Similarly, I skipped adaptive cruise because I have read it is not ready for prime time yet and that you have adaptive cruise or regular cruise, not both (once you get it you are stuck with it). I'd like to have adaptive cruise that works well for long highway drives (doesn't leave large gaps or jump on brakes when someone cuts you off) but think it is a few years away,
RickFLS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 244011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarks91 View Post
DO not get an automatic though mainly because 1 their boring to drive, and 2 their much slower.. a buddy of mine has the 7spd and got stomped on by a car or 2 last night
It is well established that DSGs are not slower than manuals. It is the opposite. I can appreciate the idea of having a manual, but at least get the facts straight. Perhaps your buddy sucks at driving and is still better off in the DSG because he wouldn't be able to drive the manual.
RickFLS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 217470

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSVT View Post
Hi guys, first post...

Looking to pick up an S4 in the next 4-6 weeks, depending on how fast I can unload my Ford Raptor for the right price... Currently in the fun, but agonizing stage of choosing a new car, and pouring over the options.

I'm about 90% set on the S4 at this point, as I basically want the fastest, most fun sports sedan I can get my hands on. It was between this, or the (you already know) the 335xi. Both similar price once you option them out, but the appeal of so fewer Audi's on the road has me leaning towards the S4. In SoCal, the 3-series is as popular as a Ford Focus.

My question:

Those with newer model S4's, if you were to purchase again, are there any options you WISH you had purchased, but didn't? Or on the flipside, options you thought you wanted, but in the end don't have any use for them or wouldn't add a second time around?

Obviously, with this car approaching the mid 60's optioned out, I want to get all I can but AVOID options that I may end up just having no use for down the road... my wife is already going to be a bit tweaked if I spend 60K, haha.

Any insight would be helpful! I can't help buy build it online with every damn option added. haha.

Matt
The only thing I probably would change is my color choice. The ibis white is so hard to keep clean. Maybe the advanced key but that comes standard now.
27,000 miles

2005 Honda S2000
Suzuka Blue Metallic
47,500 miles

2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750
Blue/White
11,000 miles
slasher016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 232913

Really a matter of taste--in my opinion there are really just three must have features...MMI....sports diff...B&0.

The rest is very tast/preference specific.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 255182

I would basically do things identical, I really wanted Nappa leather but could not locate a car with the rest of the options I wanted, after having the Alcantera I'm very happy with it. I basically skipped on adaptive cruise, ADS and blind spot monitoring. I don't ever use cruise (even on road trips) and I make a habit of looking in my blind spot every time I change lanes so those are useless features to me. ADS.... Maybe but I'm pleased with the standard suspension on the car.

2008 Hummer H2

2002 Corvette Z06
MVR 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 234754

Send a message via AIM to Creatre

I probably would have added Nav. I didn't get the Nav because I didn't use it much on the B8 A4 I had, and it saved about $3k. However, there are a lot of features that are added by the Nav, other than the actual nav unit itself, that would be 'nice to have.'
Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 217140

I enjoy all of the options on my car (see sig). If I was ordering new, I'd add adaptive suspension. The stock is fine, but for $1K, I'd appreciate the ability to dial between slightly softer and harder than what I have today.

Things I like I didn't think I needed:
- smart key (or whatever it's called).
- adaptive headlights (they turn with the wheel.

Things I'd skip if it was financially needed:
- 19" wheels. I have Titanium, which included the 19s. I will be getting 18s for my winter rubber. I think I could live with 18s and just swap rubber instead of a whole wheel. If you're upgrading to another style or size wheel, save and get 18s.

PS I love my ibis Titanium, so the blackout option (whatever) would be on my list to keep. However, I love Estoril Blue, which would not need Ti like package.
Tweakophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 268353

Wow, thanks for the response guys!

The things I'm the most unsure of, are to get the Nappa leather over the suede... and the Adaptive suspension or not.

Is the Nappa leather the "soft" plush leather? I really like the high end leather some cars have, that's very soft to the touch.

The reason I'm still only 90% sold on the S4, is the lease deals vs buying... If I BUY this car, then I'll likely get the S4 for sure. If I end up leasing, I would likely go 335i only because their lease rates are just SO MUCH better (as we all know).

My wife really prefers the Audi's too... so it's an easy choice if I end up wanting to buy. I have about 30K equity in my Raptor, so it will be easy to just dump that into an S4 I suppose, instead of leasing.

Thanks guys!
BlueSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 53054

I've ordered 2 B8 S4s. My 2010 had 18" wheels (which I later swapped for 19" Rs4 style wheels) Cf trim, Sport dif and Leather. I cound not justify the B&O radio or Nav. Like the car just fine. I added the B+0 nav aand the 19" wheels on my 2014, I am really not really impressed with both the radio and the nav. But most will tell you they are "must have " options. I do like the keyless entry which now is standard. What I have ordered is what I consider to be the "esential S4".

6 MT but DSG is fine
Sport dif
Leather seats, Alcantera also fine
CF trim. I do like the new layered trim but just won't pay $1100 for it.
B&O
Nav
19" wheels.

Anything else is gravy.

Last edited by DrGP; 10-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.
DrGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 240085

Quote:
Hi guys, first post...

My question:

Matt
Well this is my second, first was basic the new one has almost everything. I miss the smoother ride that the basic had with 18's on it but the roads in Texas aren't that bad so I'll live with that. The new car has the sports diff and just for the feel of rounding corners with confidence is a must. If you can get the B&O stereo with out the NAV that's what I'd do. The Leather I Love It, had it on both. The car comes well equipt by it self but I think for safety the SD and for audio B&O.

Terry
texasDFWS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 176194

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetywork View Post
As for options, I'm not sure if I would get leather again.
So Alcantara over the Nappa? What's wrong with the leather?
BigBluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158

Quote:
Is the Nappa leather the "soft" plush leather? I really like the high end leather some cars have, that's very soft to the touch

I chose the alcantara personally. Keep in mind that it isn't suede, it's plastic. IMO this makes it superior to suede because it won't wear out as fast, it's much stronger, and you can clean it with harsh chemicals like Isopropyl Alcohol (yes the manual actually suggests that).

Comfort wise, you don't slide around on it and it feels great to the touch, it's a tad warm, but your sweat won't ruin it because it's not actually leather.

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 265537

I ordered ADS, dealer (friend) said it was a must and for $1k, it's almost a no brainer.

Also went with Alcantara. Test drove the Nappa for like an hour and left really sweaty. Also much prefer the two-texture interior.

B+O was another too cheap to pass up option.

I think MMI and Sport Diff are a must.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267571

I wish I had ADS - but I wanted to get my car sooner without a special order. From what I've read, it's not something you absolutely need since I like driving all the time with a stiffer suspension anyway (i would never use comfort) - but it's nice to know you can change it if you want.
chains007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement