S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New member/S4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member/S4 owner

hello all,

Just purchased a 2016 S4 and wanted to check in here and say hello. Have owned 10 BMWs previously. Am loving the car so far.

I have two questions that perhaps someone here can answer. I have manual tilt/telescoping steering wheel and the telescoping works just fine, but I can't get the wheel to tilt. Salesman confirmed via email that the S4 wheel does indeed tilt. Has anyone had this issue?

Also, having trouble programming my gate remote into the homelink. Garage code works just fine, but it won't accept my gate remote for some reason.

Thanks and looking forward to participating in the forum.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome aboard...

… currently we have a 2014 S4 and a 2015 RS5. Coming from New England, I have been a nine-Audi Quattro fan. Now that I am in Los Angeles, we pummel the canyon roads and my wife and I are eyeing the BMW M4. I just celebrated my 15th year in the BMWCCA.

You will love the S4 for its incredible balance - it just does almost everything well. If you haven't already, join the NS Audi Club - the car discounts are great.

Your questions:

When new, the wheel is finicky - telescopic it back and forth and push/pull it up and down - it will tilt.

Also, programming my garage was a snap, but the gate was also finicky. I got it to work - keep trying as there are two methods in the manual. I am sorry but I can't remember which worked. But - we have gotten it to work for two S5's, an S4 and the RS5

Where are you from - come drive in the canyons of LA!

Happy Motoring

Eric

PS - here is a shot of our S4 - please post a picture :-)
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by exBMWguy
....Also, having trouble programming my gate remote into the homelink. Garage code works just fine, but it won't accept my gate remote for some reason.....
Try this: HomeLink
Old 12-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some brands of garage door opener are more difficult that others. Also, the directions in the owners manual aren't always accurate . It takes some perseverance and sometimes a helper to figure it out. But it can be done. After 10 previous BMWs, were you disenchanted with BMW or just impressed with the Audi. There are many BMW fanboys who would not ever look at an Audi since they KNOW BMWs are just better. BTW, I have had both
Old 12-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for the welcome and helpful replies!

In response to some of your questions. I'm from Orange County. And love the canyons in So. Cal. Lately have been riding them on my motorcycle more than my car as I'm coming from a BMW 550 and is was somewhat of a barge and not as fun as my previous BMWs, last two generations of M3s. After 10 BMWs and being labeled a blind faith serial buyer by a friend of mine, I chose the S4 as it was a good blend of everything I was looking for...value, proven platform, performance, luxury, etc.

Here are a few pictures:

Old 12-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got the tilt function to work. Applied steady firm pressure downward on the wheel for a few seconds and then it broke loose. I'm betting someone along the line forgot to remove some tape or strap on the tilt joint. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had the same experience with the tilt...

… push PUSH then it let go. I have likewise been accused of serial buying (nine Audis in a row). But now that I have left the snows of New England, rear drive is back on the table. I have been in the BMWCCA for 16 years. I will be very interested in your opinion of the S4 after a while. I am slobbering around the new M3, now that the six-cylinder is back

happy Motoring

Eric
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
There are many BMW fanboys who would not ever look at an Audi since they KNOW BMWs are just better.
I lived in Germany for 2 years and most of the Germans with which I worked told me "Americans buy BMWs, Germans buy Audi's because they are a better value purchase."