Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-present

REVO ECU for b8 s4

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 225923
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Default REVO ECU for b8 s4

Has anyone had any experience with this ECU upgrade as of yet? The numbers look pretty impressive for just an ECU upgrade (no pulley). 384hp at the wheels...I'm definitely tempted and was wondering if anyone had advice or experience with Revo?
__________________
Current:
2012 S4 Monsoon Gray Prestige MT6 Titanium

Gone, never forgotten:
2008 S4 Black MT6
2007 Range Rover Sport Silver
2002 BMW M3 Coupe Black Manual
2000 BMW M5 LeMans Blue Manual
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Conv Manual
1972 Jeep CJ5 Fiberglass body, 5spd, inline 6, 32's on 3 inch lift
DRAndeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Banned
Account #: 159658
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,746
Default

lol

One guy dyno'd HIS DAD'S car with a REVO tune and it got 384 whp on a dyno that constantly reads way higher than just about any other dyno on earth. (yes, that's auditurd2.0T's dad's B8 S4...and he pretends its his just like he used to pretend his dad's RS4 was his...and used to lie about quarter mile results achieved with that car etc.) He is also one of the least respected, most-likely-to-lie scammers on these here Audi forums.

Take the 384 whp number and throw it out. Wait for about 10 different dyno numbers (if you really must base a decision on dyno numbers, even though you're going to drive your car on the road/track/strip, not the dyno) and then get a feel for the peak whp, peak wtq, curve and overall delta vs. stock on that same car same dyno...and then get excited.

Until then, it's just a bunch of noise and marketing.

REVO has developed a tune, no hardware (and won't), and a lot of internet arguments. Their 384 whp poster boy is a lying scumbag who was laughed out of every forum he has posted on for cheating, lying and basically being an all around low quality individual who nobody trusts anything that comes out of his mouth. I'm sure REVO are nice guys, even though the company was started when a couple of guys bolted their APR jobs with APR's computers and trade secrets to start REVO. I'm also sure their tune will be decent, but they're not putting another penny into your car...so you're just kind of giving them your money, rather than investing in the devlopement of your platform.

GIAC has developed half of a tune, no hardware (and won't). Their poster boy is another lying scammer who was laughed out of the RS4 forum when caught lying about the capabilities of his VF supercharger, tuned by GIAC. Turns out he was a compensated under the table spokesman for VF, used in guerrilla marketing to pretend to just be a happy customer to promote the **** kit. He is also a GIAC dealer. Starting to make sense yet?

APR has been hitting it out of the park with this car for over a year. They are investing in your platform, and have developed good software that WORKS, an exhaust, a pulley, a pulley tune, a cooling system upgrade, an intake, and are hoping to give you a stage III supercharger upgrade of some sorts.



Why people would want to abandon the one company who is supporting your platform in favour of a REVO dyno from a notorious douchebag is beyond me.

OP - you may not have known all this, so I don't want you to think I'm yelling at you. I just get tired of watching people get misled and sold hype without seeing the bigger picture. For the record, I'm also an 'APR hater' according to many on this site, so if I'm recommend you give APR your money, despite earning that moniker, that should tell you it's a pretty frigging clear recommendation.

Last edited by sakimano; 01-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.
sakimano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 53054
 
DrGP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 12,159
Default

Nice to see an unbiased post. I personally don't know anything about the individuals who ACTUALLY HAD THEIR CARS DYNOED. BUT AWE did them all on the same day with the same dyno. Since AWE has no tune of their own, I doubt that there was any monkey business going on. But the results showed the Reo performed very well especially against the APR stage 1 and 2 cars that were there http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...evo-S1-numbers. Granted there was a small sampling of cars and tunes. But Its all that is really out there at this time. BTW, I have no tune on my car and am not likey to get one. Just interpreting the data as produced by the cars that were at the AWE dyno day,
DrGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 189837
 
PsYkHoTiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 438
Default

The stage II car there (socfan12) is having misfire issues and spitting out error codes (in a few cylinders) that is in the process of getting diagnosed (looking like the injectors are having an issue). Just in the interest of full disclosure.
__________________
Current: 2013 Audi RS5 | Sepang Blue | Matte Alu-Optic | NAV

Former: 2011 Audi B8 S4 | Ice Silver | DSG | Sport Diff | APR 93 stage II+ V2

Last edited by PsYkHoTiK; 01-18-2012 at 12:34 PM.
PsYkHoTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 194127
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 564
Default

ye AWE dyno day had some people upset.... APR 2.0 software didnt put down what was expected even with all APR upgrades but Arin and the guys at APR already are looking into it. REVO car seemed to fair well too. No GIAC cars from what I heard
__________________
2011 /S4 Ibis/Magma ->RS4 Grille/Deval CF Rear Diffuser/StubekCF Lip/ETMS Piano Black Trim/P3 Vent Gauge/AWE S-FLO Intake/Eurocode MeisterWerk STS/EuroCode Front&Rear Sways/EuroCode Adjustable End Links/Eurocode AluKreuz/Ti-Codes/H&R OE Springs/Miltek Non Res/180Custom 4300K HID FOGS/LEDS Throughout/VAG-COMED

Worked on only by me and EUROTECH MOTORSPORTS!
BaLLZDeePNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 82684
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 193
Default

Hi All,

Old but new member here (used to have a modded B5 S4 when living in Australia and now getting around in a 650hp 07 Sti in Singapore).

About to buy a daily driver (B8 S4) and wondering if anyone can tell me how easy it is for a custom tune on these cars?

Reason I ask is because I intend on running methanol injection along with the pulley and tune upgrade, obviously the tunes from APR won't handle such a system..

Cheers
Rob
__________________
Used to own in Australia - B5 S4 -H&R coilovers | Borla exhaust | Giac Chip ET: 13.03 60ft: 1.804 MPH: 104.4
Now in Singapore with 07 STI (SOLD) running GT35 | Meth | exhaust cut out + EWG | 2.2bar boost | FMIC | Sleeved block fully rebuilt | 550AWHP | 0-60mph = 3.2 sec (v-box)
NEW - Blue S4 B8 | DSG | SD | ADS | 19's
rmonckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169140
 
NWS4Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,366
Send a message via MSN to NWS4Guy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonckton View Post
Hi All,

Old but new member here (used to have a modded B5 S4 when living in Australia and now getting around in a 650hp 07 Sti in Singapore).

About to buy a daily driver (B8 S4) and wondering if anyone can tell me how easy it is for a custom tune on these cars?

Reason I ask is because I intend on running methanol injection along with the pulley and tune upgrade, obviously the tunes from APR won't handle such a system..

Cheers
Rob
It almost will not happen Rob. The new Simos8 is a hell of a ECU to crack into, so few have been able to actually do it, that you would need to approach someone like APR and pay for a custom tune. It will likely be a few more years before knowing the in's and out's of this ECU becomes more common knowledge and tools are out to let more people try their hand at things.
__________________
Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

2010 S4 Prem+, Quartz Gray, S-tronic, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Gray Birch
StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR Stage 1 + exhaust

**** Have USB HEX-CAN Vag-Com cable if you need someone local to mod you ****

NWS4Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 85853
 
pkancel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38
Default

I just had Revo installed from a local tuner shop on our 09 A4 2.0T and yes I know this is the S4 forum. I decided on Revo after looking at a few. I had Stasis on our 2010 A6 3.0, which was ok and I had Neuspeed back in 2003on an A4 1.8.

My suggestion is do your homework and decide what you want. Everyone has an opinion and unfortunately some opinions here arent based on personal experience but may be based on a direct relationship with one of the suppliers or possibly they got a deal.

What I did was specifically ask this tuner shop, what I should expect from Revo's tune. Even though it stated approx 35 to 60 on Revo's website, I realize there are a lot of factors that make up those numbers. Octane, add ons, etc. These tuner shops usually work with several tuner suppliers, Revo, APR, etc so if you have one you trust, you'll get a better idea from them.

The shop told me to expect between 20 to 25 with 91 Octane, obviously higher if I use Octane booster or put in 99 Octane. So 20 to 25 HP is pretty good considering the cost was 499 including the ECU dock that allows me to reset to stock. The best part is it was local, took one hour and now the car feels like it should. Not overly aggressive to the point I need to worry about something breaking but just enough to have fun and enjoy it more than stock.
pkancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Banned
Account #: 159658
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS4Guy View Post
It almost will not happen Rob. The new Simos8 is a hell of a ECU to crack into, so few have been able to actually do it, that you would need to approach someone like APR and pay for a custom tune. It will likely be a few more years before knowing the in's and out's of this ECU becomes more common knowledge and tools are out to let more people try their hand at things.
custom tuning is a waste of money at this level. You guys have very simple bolt on parts. No need. The ECU is tough to crack, but it is very smart also, and will adapt quite nicely with these simple mods.

as for tuning your own ECU, that will maybe come eventually. Even then, I wouldn't do it. I know some people in B5 land swear by it, and its fun...but those aren't the fastest cars out there so what's the point really (other than fun). Hell some people swear by fixing their own teeth too without creditation. Doesn't make it right.
sakimano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 220316
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I have had the Revo tune on my 12 s4 since the beginning of the year. I chose it because i live about 15 min from KMD tuning in NJ. I actually called to ask a few questions and they said they could fit me in that day(could not refuse). The tune is great. This is my first Audi and it felt like something was missing untill the tune. I have not had any experiance with the APR tune so cant compare. i just know the tune has put a smile on my face and gotten rid of ANY remorse i had for selling my SRT8.
Bgm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169140
 
NWS4Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,366
Send a message via MSN to NWS4Guy
Default

I'll have to agree, with the way that ECU's have progressed, how much Audi is leveraging them to make so many adjustments and calculations, as well as introduction of direct injection and variable valve control (which is the obvious next itteration of this engine I think), you could easily get far outside of your ability and cause significant harm to your engine.
__________________
Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

2010 S4 Prem+, Quartz Gray, S-tronic, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Gray Birch
StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR Stage 1 + exhaust

**** Have USB HEX-CAN Vag-Com cable if you need someone local to mod you ****

NWS4Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 222571
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
Nice to see an unbiased post.
LOL

To the OP. I have a REVO tune and it works great. Lot's of power and great every day driveability.

Great gas mileage too if you don't step on it http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...o-fuel-economy check thread #27

Cheers
tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 112957
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 31
Default

I've had the revo tune for a few weeks and love it. I dyno'd before and after on the same dyno and saw about 76hp gain (also had an AWE intake fwiw).

Here's the before after graph
Click the image to open in full size.

Just sharing my situation for the OP. Not trying to start anything with Saki!
ImprobabilityDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Banned
Account #: 159658
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprobabilityDrive View Post
Just sharing my situation for the OP. Not trying to start anything with Saki!
hey dude, honest people with their feet on the ground will never have a problem with me. Liars, scammers, cheaters and **** talkers will though. Anyway, I look at it like this:

1. having new choices in tunes will be great for you guys because it will improve all of the tunes. Nevermind the maps...just the fact that APR is busting their *** to make flashing at dealers available is great for you guys, and its only because REVO is showing they can do this now that they put that plan into overdrive. Without REVO offering flashes, I bet APR would never have stalled on that till the middle/end of next year.

2. if you guys buy tunes from a company that only makes tunes (REVO/GIAC), you won't be funding APR's development of future go fast parts for your cars. That's good for us RS4 guys so we can keep up so by all means, buy REVO and GIAC!
sakimano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169140
 
NWS4Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,366
Send a message via MSN to NWS4Guy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakimano View Post

2. if you guys buy tunes from a company that only makes tunes (REVO/GIAC), you won't be funding APR's development of future go fast parts for your cars. That's good for us RS4 guys so we can keep up so by all means, buy REVO and GIAC!
LOL nice
__________________
Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

2010 S4 Prem+, Quartz Gray, S-tronic, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Gray Birch
StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR Stage 1 + exhaust

**** Have USB HEX-CAN Vag-Com cable if you need someone local to mod you ****

NWS4Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 222571
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
lol

One guy dyno'd HIS DAD'S car with a REVO tune and it got 384 whp on a dyno that constantly reads way higher than just about any other dyno on earth. (yes, that's auditurd2.0T's dad's B8 S4...and he pretends its his just like he used to pretend his dad's RS4 was his...and used to lie about quarter mile results achieved with that car etc.) He is also one of the least respected, most-likely-to-lie scammers on these here Audi forums.

Take the 384 whp number and throw it out. Wait for about 10 different dyno numbers (if you really must base a decision on dyno numbers, even though you're going to drive your car on the road/track/strip, not the dyno) and then get a feel for the peak whp, peak wtq, curve and overall delta vs. stock on that same car same dyno...and then get excited.

Until then, it's just a bunch of noise and marketing.

REVO has developed a tune, no hardware (and won't), and a lot of internet arguments. Their 384 whp poster boy is a lying scumbag who was laughed out of every forum he has posted on for cheating, lying and basically being an all around low quality individual who nobody trusts anything that comes out of his mouth. I'm sure REVO are nice guys, even though the company was started when a couple of guys bolted their APR jobs with APR's computers and trade secrets to start REVO. I'm also sure their tune will be decent, but they're not putting another penny into your car...so you're just kind of giving them your money, rather than investing in the devlopement of your platform.

GIAC has developed half of a tune, no hardware (and won't). Their poster boy is another lying scammer who was laughed out of the RS4 forum when caught lying about the capabilities of his VF supercharger, tuned by GIAC. Turns out he was a compensated under the table spokesman for VF, used in guerrilla marketing to pretend to just be a happy customer to promote the **** kit. He is also a GIAC dealer. Starting to make sense yet?

APR has been hitting it out of the park with this car for over a year. They are investing in your platform, and have developed good software that WORKS, an exhaust, a pulley, a pulley tune, a cooling system upgrade, an intake, and are hoping to give you a stage III supercharger upgrade of some sorts.



Why people would want to abandon the one company who is supporting your platform in favour of a REVO dyno from a notorious douchebag is beyond me.

OP - you may not have known all this, so I don't want you to think I'm yelling at you. I just get tired of watching people get misled and sold hype without seeing the bigger picture. For the record, I'm also an 'APR hater' according to many on this site, so if I'm recommend you give APR your money, despite earning that moniker, that should tell you it's a pretty frigging clear recommendation.
You should be thankful to REVO for coming out with a better stage 1 tune than APR. That made APR scramble to get a v2.0 out so you guys can have at least the same...

As to the hardware, there are other companies making as good or even better exhausts and intakes than APR so good for all of us.
If APR would be the only game in town it would be great!! lol only one taste of koolaid at the price they want to charge us.

Competition is good. Don't be afraid, you will still be able to buy all your stuff APR, even your clothes
tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 48454
 
primetime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
You should be thankful to REVO for coming out with a better stage 1 tune than APR. That made APR scramble to get a v2.0 out so you guys can have at least the same...
LOL! Really? All but one set of times I have seen for Revo tuned S4's are less than impressive... I could care less about dyno #'s since we don't drive/race our cars on dynos... I won't call Auditude's numbers BS because he posted legit timeslips and had witnesses... I am just not sold that they were done on 93 fuel... Not to mention they were run in basically a mineshaft with -1300 DA's... As for APR scrambling... Go back and read some of my dragracing posts... I haven't been on v1 for quite a while...
__________________
Slow B8 S4...
Slower TT-RS...

DSG paddle shifters for A4, S4, S5, etc... pm me if interested...

Pulley tool for removing 3.0L TVS1320 blower pulley... pm me if you need to use it...
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 222571
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
LOL! Really? All but one set of times I have seen for Revo tuned S4's are less than impressive... I could care less about dyno #'s since we don't drive/race our cars on dynos... I won't call Auditude's numbers BS because he posted legit timeslips and had witnesses... I am just not sold that they were done on 93 fuel... Not to mention they were run in basically a mineshaft with -1300 DA's... As for APR scrambling... Go back and read some of my dragracing posts... I haven't been on v1 for quite a while...
Ok I'll go read some of your dragracing posts. In the meantime could you PM me the price and availability of a set of paddle shifters for my S4?
tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 112957
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
LOL! Really? All but one set of times I have seen for Revo tuned S4's are less than impressive... I could care less about dyno #'s since we don't drive/race our cars on dynos...
Agreed, I think 1/4 times are more relevant in real world. I just posted the dyno graph because it seemed more relevant to OP's question.

I ran a 13.14 @ 104 stock, and with the tune the best I could do was 12.89 @ 108. Conditions were pretty similar both days, but with the tune my launch control isn't working properly, so I royally screwed up the launch on just about every run (1.9 and higher 60 ft all day, vs 1.7 when stock). I couldn't get it right and as the day got warmer the times just got slower. The 4mph increase in trap speed was consistent and that made me happy. I think when LC is fixed it should do another tenth or two quicker (or if I can practice the non-LC method and get it down well enough). This is on 91 oct.

For now I think APR stage 2 is still king of the hill, that extra torque down low makes a big difference. For reference, on the day that I ran 13.14 @ 104 stock, there was a stage 2 car there (on 100 oct) running consistent 12/2 @ 112.
ImprobabilityDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 48454
 
primetime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
Ok I'll go read some of your dragracing posts. In the meantime could you PM me the price and availability of a set of paddle shifters for my S4?
Sure I'll shoot you a PM in a minute... Also, sorry I was heading to a meeting and made my reply quickly and as I re-read it I sounded kind of like a dick which wasn't my intent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprobabilityDrive View Post
Agreed, I think 1/4 times are more relevant in real world. I just posted the dyno graph because it seemed more relevant to OP's question.

I ran a 13.14 @ 104 stock, and with the tune the best I could do was 12.89 @ 108. Conditions were pretty similar both days, but with the tune my launch control isn't working properly, so I royally screwed up the launch on just about every run (1.9 and higher 60 ft all day, vs 1.7 when stock). I couldn't get it right and as the day got warmer the times just got slower. The 4mph increase in trap speed was consistent and that made me happy. I think when LC is fixed it should do another tenth or two quicker (or if I can practice the non-LC method and get it down well enough). This is on 91 oct.

For now I think APR stage 2 is still king of the hill, that extra torque down low makes a big difference. For reference, on the day that I ran 13.14 @ 104 stock, there was a stage 2 car there (on 100 oct) running consistent 12/2 @ 112.
Totally agree... Also, as Saki has pointed out numerous times APR is developing the whole platform not just the tune... That however, doesn't mean the other tunes aren't as good or can't be better... I just would like to see more data and support... It will be another fun spring/summer/fall for the platform... I plan to be 11.5 or lower on this blower and with no spray!
__________________
Slow B8 S4...
Slower TT-RS...

DSG paddle shifters for A4, S4, S5, etc... pm me if interested...

Pulley tool for removing 3.0L TVS1320 blower pulley... pm me if you need to use it...
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2012, apr, audi, b8, custom, ecu, giac, injection, methenol, revo, s4, stage, tuning, v2, v20


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community