S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 - B8 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 - B8 Reliability

Hey all,

This is my first post here, so I'm sorry if I get it wrong or ask dumb questions. I'm not big on forums. Anyways -

I'm looking to get a "new" car for a graduation present to myself. I am looking at an S4 B8 or an S5. I really would prefer a 3.0T engine because of the easy tune-ablility without having to drop 14K on a supercharger. However, I've only been able to find high mileage S4s in my area. One I'm going to go look at today is a 2012 S4 with 70K milage. I was wondering the reliability of the S4 (and even S5) at this milage. I currently have a '13 Mazdaspeed3 with almost 60K miles that has given me no problems, but I can't seem to find a lot of info about high milage S4s and S5s. Could you guys ben of assistance?

Also - Disclaimer: I am not planning on dropping a tune in the car immediately. I'd probably drive a year or so first. But when I do, I'd rather it be easy which is why I'm leaning towards the 3.0T engine more the the 4.2 V8.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 04-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 4,2 V8 is a gas guzzler and not a great engine. The 3.0t is a superstar. Had a 4.2 in my B6 S4. Bought a 335i instead of getting a B7 S4. All S5 convertibles and 2013 and later Coupes have have the 3.0t engine S4/S5s have been remarkable reliable. But don't expect it to be the same as the Japanese cars. Bought my 2011(my 3rd B8 S4) 2 yrs ago with 49k miles. Now have 63k and have only had to put on brakes, battery and tires. Some have had issues with the DSG trans. I always advise buying an extended warranty with any used German car without a factory warranty. BTW, the S4s are in high demand and short supply. Dealers know this and deals and discounts are not common. Good luck on your search. BTW, How old are you?
Old 04-12-2016, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having had an S4, two S5's and an RS5...

… my sense is that if you find a stock S4, you should be in pretty good shape. My advise is; the fewer factory "upgrades" (such as active dampers) and mods (chips, etc) - the less problems you have.

With repeat to tuning, more power is always nice to have, but the 3.0 liter S4 is wonderfully balanced and plenty powerful - the torque is just wonderful digging our of corners. Any engine performance upgrades will likely squelch any warrantee. Where the S4 can easily improve is in the handling and braking departments. Plenty of options there that will not reduce reliability and really improve the performance of the car. Which begs the question - what are you planning to do with the car? Canyon runs and twisties are my passion, so handling is a premium. If I wanted drag race, I would get a Chevy SS that is bombproof in a straight line…

Keep us posted,

ERic
Old 04-13-2016, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies. I'm honestly not planning on doing much with it, I just want a fun daily. I don't race or have mountain roads readily available.

So the issue is that I've found a s4 for a decent price. However, it has been modded. 2012 with 71k miles, Apr pulley and stage one Apr tune. It also has some springs. Clean car fax, and service up to the 65k mark I believe within that car fax. They are offering a cpo warranty but idk if that warranty covers tuned cars. I'm worried about the mileage because I am aware that this isn't a Japanese car which is what I'm used to. I'm having a pre purchase inspection done on it tomorrow, but even if that is clean, I'm still hesitant since I don't know a lot about audi. I generally work on cars myself. I drove the car yesterday and it was very fun and I loved the interior.

Any advice?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is a link to the car that I'm looking at:

The Luxury Autohaus, Inc: 2012 Audi S4 - Marietta, GA

Thanks again for any help!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks good not no sports differential. What is price?
Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spyder91290
This is a link to the car that I'm looking at:

The Luxury Autohaus, Inc: 2012 Audi S4 - Marietta, GA

Thanks again for any help!!!
Am I missing something or is there no Nav or Sport Diff? Also, the front grille is aftermarket and missing the outer Audi rings.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I checked in out in person. The front emblem is back on, idk why they posted it without in the pictures. There is no Nav and idk if it has the sports diff. Again, I'm new to this and don't really know what to look for. That's why I'm reaching out to those that do.

Price is $26,700
Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, I'm having a different Audi dealership do a PPI on it before I consider buying as well.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spyder91290
I checked in out in person. The front emblem is back on, idk why they posted it without in the pictures. There is no Nav and idk if it has the sports diff. Again, I'm new to this and don't really know what to look for. That's why I'm reaching out to those that do.

Price is $26,700
Good idea on Audi dealer running VIN and do an inspection.
The price should reflect the higher mileage, and lack of both those options which tend to be desirable.
At almost 70k mileage, I'd be most concerned with getting a warranty and if that is going to cost you 2-4k, I'd say you are better off finding a lower mileage car, possibly at an Audi dealership that would CPO one.

Quick Reply: S4 - B8 Reliability