S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

The S4 VS an A7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The S4 VS an A7?

Hi All,

New here and just got done doing some test driving. I'm looking to pick up my first Audi (CPO) and after test driving with my wife and son I narrowed it down to the S4 or A7. Very different cars....but both are great in their own way.

I'm probably just talking our loud here and trying to work things out. The fact that I'm posting this in this thread tells you which way I'm leaning.

I'm coming from a Dodge Charger R/T with the performance package. Size wise I'd say it's larger than an A8.

I would describe my test drive in the S4 as "Visceral". The seat fit me like a glove and the handling and acceleration top my Charger....especially the handling!.

The A7....."Beautiful". No denying the extra space either. That hatch back is very roomy and with the seats folded down...cripes! Does not have the "impact" that the S4 does but it still has decent performance. A cheap tune (much cheaper than tuning the S4) and your right is S4 territory....at least in acceleration. My wife is pushing for the A7.

Now for my big issue (and it might be just me but maybe you all can shed some light here). My job. I sell insurance to municipalities ranging from very rural/small townships to small cities. I can look successful.....but not too successful. My fear is that the A7 might be crossing that line. I don't need to give anyone a reason to go out for a bid. My success is not from raking my clients though.....I actually make less commission then all of my competitors. But I make up for that with volume.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is something to be said for the understated performance look of the stock S4. I used to have a Bright Red A5 S-line and whenever I had it in the parking lot of my office, customers would always come in and ask who owned the car. After 18 months with a dark blue S4, the only customer that has commented on it was another Audi owner. Funny, I think the color of the car makes a difference as well.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Skip on Nogaro Blue if you want to stay under the radar.....
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people won't be able to distinguish between an a4 s line from an s4. Coming from a Charger ST, I'm afraid you will be disappointed with the performance of the A7. Also remember that the A7 has no available manual trans. AND, it has a true automatic trans rather than computer controlled manumatic S tronic trans in the S4. Not sure there is a sport dif available in the A7 either. Both are nice cars. They have a similar engine, nice interiors, but somewhat different.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrGP
Most people won't be able to distinguish between an a4 s line from an s4. Coming from a Charger ST, I'm afraid you will be disappointed with the performance of the A7. Also remember that the A7 has no available manual trans. AND, it has a true automatic trans rather than computer controlled manumatic S tronic trans in the S4. Not sure there is a sport dif available in the A7 either. Both are nice cars. They have a similar engine, nice interiors, but somewhat different.
S7, different story.....
Old 04-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by togatown
S7, different story.....
Same for S6
Old 04-09-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you don't need the room the S4 is a great car.

7 series best looking Audi in the US market IMVHO. But way too big for me.

RS7 is a rocket. It has auto trans but the reviewers still love the car.

Happy hunting.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Coming from a Charger ST, I'm afraid you will be disappointed with the performance of the A7.

Actually a stock A7 and a stock R/T Charger would be fairly neck & neck.....a slight edge might go to the A7. The Dodge is a BIG car. It sounds great and it's fun to drive but its not really super quick. The S4 would dust it.

Now if you want to talk Hellcat Charger then you better show up with an RS7 and even then the edge probably goes to the 700HP Charger.

BTW, the S7 and RS7 are not viable options (darn).
Old 04-09-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Astropin
Actually a stock A7 and a stock R/T Charger would be fairly neck & neck.....a slight edge might go to the A7. The Dodge is a BIG car. It sounds great and it's fun to drive but its not really super quick. The S4 would dust it.

Now if you want to talk Hellcat Charger then you better show up with an RS7 and even then the edge probably goes to the 700HP Charger.

BTW, the S7 and RS7 are not viable options (darn).
Local dealer just sold a new RS7 that was on the lot. Why not viable options?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Local dealer just sold a new RS7 that was on the lot. Why not viable options?

Sorry....though it would be obvious, price.

I'm looking at mostly 2013 CPO S4's and 2012 CPO A7's.....that's my sweet spot for price range. Dealer not to far from me has a loaded 2013 S4 (Prestige with Sports Diff) with under 10k miles on it. There asking $46950 for it so if they are willing to negotiate at all if could be a nice deal on a very low millage 2013. I also found a fully loaded A7 (Prestige with the Innovation package and Adaptive Cruise) with 33K miles and they are asking $44,600 on it.

Quick Reply: The S4 VS an A7?