S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Subwoofer Installation in 2010 S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's in the rear deck? Is that the factory sub?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angina
well, it is your trunk, so I think protecting the sub would be more important than looks.. Still, its a great clean install.

So the stock amp is still in use to power the rest of the speakers, and you have an aftermarket amp to power just the new sub? Is the stock sub the one located in the rear deck right next to the audison amp in the pics?
I already contacted my installer this morning, and asked them to fabricate some kind of grill to protect the speaker. I'm sure they'll be able to come up with something.

Yes, the stock amp is still powering the rest of the factory system. The new Audison amp is only powering the new sub. The sub next to the new amp is the stock sub, which is simply disconnected for now. If I decide to upgrade the rest of the speakers in the car, then the factory sub would be removed to make room for another multi channel amp.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Did you turn off the B&O GALA function, when you added the sub woofer (this what the Mercedes guys did, when adding a sub woofer, they just disconnected the microphone).

Where specifically did you tap the input signal to the new subwoofer amplifier from?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've been playing with the GALA function, toggling it off and on myself. Hard to hear a difference at this point. Also trying to see what sounds better in the DSP - Driver or Front settings.

I'm not sure where the installer tapped the input signal from, I can ask him when I talk to them about the speaker grill.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is the subwoofer I used

Hertz HX3000D.4

Amplifer:

Audison LRx 1.1k
Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyee
I've been playing with the GALA function, toggling it off and on myself. Hard to hear a difference at this point. Also trying to see what sounds better in the DSP - Driver or Front settings.

I'm not sure where the installer tapped the input signal from, I can ask him when I talk to them about the speaker grill.
Makes sense to disable it, since the mic will only pickup sounds the stereo is not producing, and it could attempt to alter phase on stock sub to cancel out the bass it's picking up from the aftermarket sub. Then again, it could build it's data from the sound input not output, in which case it would only listen for noise made not by the music being read (rather than coming from the speakers, a subtle but key difference).
Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks really clean. I'm not an expert on audio, but I thought you needed a box with a sub in order to "move" air. Effectively, you're using your right rear 1/4 panel as a box. I wonder where the air escapes?

Can I ask what the materials and the install cost?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old style and lower end subs need a port to move the air. Higher end subs and those which are specifically designed (and can handle higher power inputs) usually use sealed enclosures. This helps response times, as the vacuum created keeps the higher power and dual voice coils from throwing so far, as well as help pull the cone back "home" when the power is removed at the end of each cycle.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

all i can say is that this ish is hot.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like it. I like it a lot. You upgraded but still kept it very stock looking. Well done. If I may ask, what did it run, all tallied, out the door?

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Installation in 2010 S4