S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

To Tune or not to Tune, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_racer
Long term impact I wouldn't stress, because the tunes have been out for so long now they've worked out all the kinks when it comes to longevity.

Im running GIAC full stage 2 w/DSG tune, injectors, Forge Cooler, intake/exhaust... etc... And have had ZERO issues except on 116 octane fuel..... But I have a dealer hookup who won't TD1 me.. and NO I won't post it up publicly sorry lol

If you're in Florida, PM me and Ill share the love
The true question, and a better fitting for your thread title would be: To TD1 or Not to TD1
Thinking about the GIAC tune, stage 2, what is your day to day gas mileage...I know I shouldn't worry about it but just curious.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A piggyback would get me a tune in a heart beat.

Even if it was 80-85 percent of what a pure tune would get. The only reason is I do not want the TD1 hassle.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is my first forced induced car in a LONG time (my last forced induced car was a SAAB). I'm just amazed at the difference a software flash does to my car! But these modern cars are expensive to repair, my personal opinion is to wait till the warranty has expired.

Now go out and enjoy your car, drive it like you stole it and when you pass the 50k miles....get flash of your choice.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you asking this question then you already set your mind. The question is how long you going to last before tune your car.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hell yea!

APR Stage II with pulley, AWE exhaust. Do it. You'll wear the manual tranny out a little faster...but, life is short. It's a hell of a quicker ride. Of course...I need to get it de-flashed so that I can get the fuel rail recall fix..but, oh well. Did I say, life is short??
Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Funny that I have been asking myself this exact same question for my 2015 S4 w/8800 miles. I don't want to void my warranty either, so I'm thinking of adding bolt-ons first (ie. exhaust, intake, suspension, etc).

Please do update if you pull the trigger to do the APR stage II. I'm interested in your experience after some months.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Anyone with new issues after a stage 2 ECU upgrade?

I have a 2011 S4 Imola Yellow, prestige, ADS, 6 MT, just past the 100,000 mile mark and my extended warranty is now up. I have had no issues with this car, no check engine lights, nothing!. It burns no oil too. My boss has a TTrs APR stage 3, and is having issues with passing emissions and check engine lights. How much I want to do an APR Stage 2, if I start having issues, the tune shop would be a major hassle getting to for it is a far distance to get to. Has anyone with a stage 2 run into check engine lights or other issues after getting the upgrade?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I decided to try the ChipWerks piggyback tune. I installed it about three weeks ago and it works great. I'm sure that it is not as good as a complete flash or not even close to a phase 2 with a pulley. That may come later in life. But for now the piggyback does what I want it to do with a noticeable increase in power after 3500 RPM. When the time comes for service I will remove it prior to visiting the dealer. I did a lot of research and based on my location where there is good gas available and at sea level it is great.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sfg57
I decided to try the ChipWerks piggyback tune.
Any negative side-effect so far with the Chipwerke? Such as jerkiness or daily drivability?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Manual Transmission?

I continue to be interested in this, but feel the technology does not have enough in-field customer experience.

It also seems experiences have been mixed. I have four impressions of that collective experience so far:

-vastly lower cost compared to alternatives.

- Nice acceleration improvement for the price

-easy to install and remove.

- allegedly no detectable codes.

– throttle response issues.

– Check engine light issues

When I got the Juicebox for my BMW the only impression I could get about it was that it was dependable and effective and no hassles at a low-cost.

The only issues with the Juicebox were installation confusion, or people needing help with advanced ethanol, racing, water injection or other applications.

Does anyone here have one installed with a manual transmission S4?

I want this, but it doesn't feel comfortable yet.

Quick Reply: To Tune or not to Tune, that is the question