S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What mods won't void your warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods won't void your warranty?

Hi All!

So I am about to go pick up that B8 S4 I mentioned in another thread.

I read a bunch of info here and on a couple other forums but can't find a good list of mods that will NOT void my warranty. I see that Audi has figured out how to check for tunes and is voiding warranties for this.

There are a bunch of things I'd like to do to my new car:

1. Performance Wheel/Tire setup
2. Performance Coilovers
3. Tune
4. Upgrade Brake Pads, Lines and Rotors
5. Sway Bars and End Links

However, if I can only do the Wheels/Tires...I guess I might be happy at least during my warranty period.

Am I missing something that has already been posted? Apologies if I have, I tried a few searches but might be using the wrong keywords.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nothing will technically void your warranty, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act states that the manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if the failure of the component can be directly proven to be a result of a modification. Some dealers however love to just claim you are not covered due to a mod to not deal with any hassle. The big issue is if you are caught with a tune, you get a TD1, this means the car is marked so that if there is a trans or engine issue they can try to blame it on the tune and then you have to lawyer up to prove it was not a result of the tune if it was say a known issue etc - big pain in the ***!
If you put a tune on it, you will need to remove it before any dealer visit, Audi does not seem to be able to detect if a tune used to be on it, only if it is on the car when it is plugged into their network, but there is still some risk they will figure it out some day and if you car breaks down at the side of the road, you would have to have it towed to your tuners shop to be unflashed first, then to the dealer, a bit of a hassle.

Not much risk in putting on performance wheel tire setup - if you use OEM Audi wheels and OEM sizes, no risk (like say some S5 OEM 19" wheels with better offsets and PSS tires). Minor risk in aftermarket wheels especially if a significantly different size than stock available options. Coilovers they can blame worn bushings, CV joints and wheel bearings on, but risk is low and cost of those repairs if they deny is not that high. Sway Bars and End Links are about the same, they can't blame much expensive on them, but can possibly cause accelerated wear on some parts. Brake pads, lines and rotors should be no issue unless the ABS module failed and they wanted to try to blame it on your setup.

In most cases if it comes into the dealer in stock form they will warranty it, if it comes in with aftermarket parts on it, depending on the dealer they may or may not want to do the warranty work, it seems that some dealers are sensible and mod friendly and use their brain to determine if you caused the problem with a mod or not, others just flat out don't want to deal with it and have some corporate policy telling them to not work with you.

I have found that if you can find the smaller less corporate dealers, especially ones that will install mods for you, that they tend to be the better ones to work with - always worth talking to the Service Manager at the dealer to understand their perspective on it all before you find out the hard way their opinion.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:07 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you tune your car, Audi will detect it and automatically desiginate your car TD1. Engine warranty void. This will happen the first time they connect your car to the dealer's computer which is done when you take it in for service. The computer is programmed to look for a tune. The info is sent directly to Audi and the local dealer has no ability to circumvent it. This info has been related to me by my friend who is service Mgr at the dealership where I obtained 2 of my B 8 S4s. Some individuals have suggested buying an additional ECU and swapping them before service. Not sure that that is feasible or effective.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All will void the warranty if that mod messes up whatever part fails.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will a basic Roc Euro intake make Audi write a file on you or would you have to uninstall/reinstall the stock intake every time you take the car in for service?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There's 3 things that can go catastrophically wrong with this car. 1) the engine 2) the DSG 3) the sport diff. Luckily the sport diff has had almost no reported issues even among folks who track the car a ton. The DSG is sort of a mixed bag. The engine has been fairly bulletproof.

This really depends on what type of person you are. My car hasn't been to the dealer since I took delivery on it. Some people take it in for every brake squeal, dash rattle, exhaust resonance, spring bind or swaybar creek. If you're optimizing for performance and are willing to give up your grievances about noise, vibration and harshness, then mod away.

I wouldn't sweat hurting the engine with a software tune since the motor has been bulletproof. A software tune would void your warranty in a DSG failure event, which are somewhat more common.

I'd generally avoid playing with the intake as that's one of the things that can introduce contaminants and particles into the engine, jeopardizing its reliability. Particularly if you're not careful about replacing the cotton filters every year or less if you live in a bad part of the country.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am kind of on the fence on modding as a whole. I have been there and done that with my Subarus for the last ten years. Actually for the last 3 years I haven't done anything to my WRX other than maintenance.

The S4 already starts off on a much higher level of performance for me and I might just be happy with a nice set of light racing wheels and sticky rubber. I can take the mod money and spend it on more driving classes and track days.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Personal or vehicular weight loss. :-)
Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
If you tune your car, Audi will detect it and automatically desiginate your car TD1. Engine warranty void.
Incorrect. They can not void any warranty in part or whole due to the use and installation of aftermarket parts or tunes (the exception is any ECU that requires the seal to be broken and the housing opened, that voids the ECU warranty only.).

Now will a dealer try to deny a warranty claim for a tune? Sure, there are jerks out there. But ultimately they have to prove the tune (or any aftermarket part) caused the issue. So you may have to spend some time fighting them and making them prove it, this may include court time if it goes that far. That's part of paying to play, but knowing the law and the your rights are vital.

And even if they do prove one issue, the warranty is not "voided" for any future issues.

Originally Posted by DrGP
Some individuals have suggested buying an additional ECU and swapping them before service. Not sure that that is feasible or effective.
I've heard people think about it, never seen anyone try it, doubt it is feasible.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi can always say no. Then it would be up to you and your attorney to force them to do differently. It all depends to what length you are willing to go.

Quick Reply: What mods won't void your warranty?