S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Wheel size on new order

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel size on new order

The wife and I are set up for a European delivery on Oct 20. We live in Ohio and I know how awful Summer tires can be here in the Winter so I ordered it with the 18 inch wheels and all weather tires. I am starting to have second thoughts, but don't want to buy a second set of wheels.

How bad will handling be affected with 18 inch vs 19 inch wheels and do all weather tires come in the 19 inch size for the S4? I know that the 19 inch wheels will look sportier, but that ranks much lower on our list.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you don't want to buy a second set of wheels I would stick with the 18" with the all season tires especially in the areas up north. I had the 18" wheels on my previous S4 and the handling is still great but I agree with many others that the 19" 5 spoke wheels look much sportier on the S4.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have some options, No, you cannot order an s4 with 19" A/s tires. Also when you do order the s4 with 18"" A/s tires you get a 130mph speed limiter rather than the 155 that comes with summer tires. Here's what I would do. Order the car with 19" wheels and summer tires. Buy a set of 19" A/s tires and swap them on your car. Then sell the lightly used summer 19" . That should not be hard to do. Winter performance difference between 18" and 19" tires should be minimal.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
You have some options, No, you cannot order an s4 with 19" A/s tires. Also when you do order the s4 with 18"" A/s tires you get a 130mph speed limiter rather than the 155 that comes with summer tires. Here's what I would do. Order the car with 19" wheels and summer tires. Buy a set of 19" A/s tires and swap them on your car. Then sell the lightly used summer 19" . That should not be hard to do. Winter performance difference between 18" and 19" tires should be minimal.
I guess I wasn't clear. You mentioned something I considered, but wasn't sure if tire manufacturers make all season tires in the Audi size 19" wheels. I knew that they are not available for European delivery, only 18" all season or 19" Summer. If 19" all season are available, I could have the local shop swap them out and change back when Winter is over. It is not good to change tires off wheels too often, but I probably would not buy new Summer only tires after they were worn out.

The lower speed limit should not really be a factor for us aside from driving on the autobahn after delivery.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gforaker
I guess I wasn't clear. You mentioned something I considered, but wasn't sure if tire manufacturers make all season tires in the Audi size 19" wheels. I knew that they are not available for European delivery, only 18" all season or 19" Summer. If 19" all season are available, I could have the local shop swap them out and change back when Winter is over. It is not good to change tires off wheels too often, but I probably would not buy new Summer only tires after they were worn out.

The lower speed limit should not really be a factor for us aside from driving on the autobahn after delivery.
You are wondering if all season tires are available in 19"? Plenty of choices if you just check www.tirerack.com, where you can see tires available that will fit your car.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

How bad will handling be affected with 18 inch vs 19 inch wheels and do all weather tires come in the 19 inch size for the S4? I know that the 19 inch wheels will look sportier, but that ranks much lower on our list.
I have 18's with summer tires and I've driven all the way up to and past the limit and have no real signs of side wall roll. Really, no complaints. They also ride a tad smoother than the 19's.

It is true that you'll get a lower speed limiter if you order with all season tires.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

18 inch tires are available in both summer and All season varieties on the S4. The difference in handling between the 2 will be minor comparing summer tires to summers and a/s to a/s. If you are going to do A/s tires, I would keep them on year round
Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also live in Ohio and just leased an S4 with 18's. I went through the exact same thought process as you---better for winter driving in addition to it being a more low profile car (I have an R8 as well and wanted something more stealth). I have had the S4 for 2 months and I love it, and you will too. It's just a great car.
Here's what I just did---i bought a set of OEM S4 rims on craigslist with almost new (90% tread) Continental contisport contact3 tires for $675 (the seller was desperate to sell) on Friday and put them on at Firestone Auto. They look great, and I agree with everyone else that the 19's do make the S4 look much better.
You can get the car with 19's and then buy a steel set with Blizzaks or any winter tire from Tirerack.com and swap in the winter months. Agree, the 19" summer tires will not work with the Ohio snow.
Regardless, you will be very pleased with your new S4. It's awesome. Best of luck.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by beacon44103
I also live in Ohio and just leased an S4 with 18's. I went through the exact same thought process as you---better for winter driving in addition to it being a more low profile car (I have an R8 as well and wanted something more stealth). I have had the S4 for 2 months and I love it, and you will too. It's just a great car.
Here's what I just did---i bought a set of OEM S4 rims on craigslist with almost new (90% tread) Continental contisport contact3 tires for $675 (the seller was desperate to sell) on Friday and put them on at Firestone Auto. They look great, and I agree with everyone else that the 19's do make the S4 look much better.
You can get the car with 19's and then buy a steel set with Blizzaks or any winter tire from Tirerack.com and swap in the winter months. Agree, the 19" summer tires will not work with the Ohio snow.
Regardless, you will be very pleased with your new S4. It's awesome. Best of luck.
I got my last Audi with 19" summer tires and drove them through one of the worst winters the northeast has ever seen without complaint or issue. It was still better in the snow than my wife's front wheel drive A3 with all seasons on it. I really don't understand all the fuss.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, the decision was already made for me by Audi. European delivery in the last half of October apparently requires all season tires to be installed. That means 18".

If I can find "reasonable" nice 19" wheels here, then I can put summer tires on them and swap them out twice a year. I"m pretty sure the dealer would program out the reduced top speed of the 18" wheels. Still, I don't think the wife would OK an extra $4000 bill on her car.

Quick Reply: Wheel size on new order