S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter Tires for 255/35R19

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires for 255/35R19

A relatively new owner of a 2015 S4 B8 fully loaded (except I really really wanted self-folding wing mirrors but that option isn't available here although it's in the manual).

Now I need winter tires for the MA and NH style winters.

For various cash flow reasons I can't spring this year for separate 18" rims and elsewhere in this forum someone said that they had very good snow handling and performance (especially on icy roads) with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 255/35R19. Now Tire Rack doesn't list this size but Michelin says it has inventory available and a West Coast chain Big O tires has them. And the price seems to be quite good.

So now some questions:

Is it that good an idea to put winter tires on the OEM 19" rims?

Does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 series?

Should I use the 255/35R19 size or go up to a fatter ratio like 45?

I am a babe in the woods when it comes to tires (in fact all the issues with rims and offsets etc. frighten me off) so I don't really understand the ramifications of increasing the aspect ration or decreasing the width which can improve handing in deep snow conditions apparently (that I am unlikely to face, graded but icy roads being what I normally encounter).

Philip

2015 S4 Sebring Blue | B8 | MT6 | Black Optic | DSG | Sport Differential | ADS | Fine Black Nappa | MMI Nav + | B&O
Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the PA4s on my S4 with 18 inch rims and they are amazing tires in the winter. They were the best snow tires available for the car when I purchased them (based on my research) and they have not disappointed at all. They easily handle the winter in NH on this car.

I can't speak to your questions about running them on 19s but I believe you can add the folding mirrors with some after market parts and possibly vag com. Search on the forums here and there should be more info.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I run 255/35/19 PA4's and they've been great winter tires through all kinds of crazy stuff. I previously ran 18" XIce on my 2010 and the grip was marginally better in very heavy snow but the PA4s are very good for performance winters. If going with 19's I recommend staying with stock sizing. On paper narrower 245's will give better performance in deep snow but I doubt you could tell the difference.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sworksone
I run 255/35/19 PA4's and they've been great winter tires through all kinds of crazy stuff. I previously ran 18" XIce on my 2010 and the grip was marginally better in very heavy snow but the PA4s are very good for performance winters. If going with 19's I recommend staying with stock sizing. On paper narrower 245's will give better performance in deep snow but I doubt you could tell the difference.
Thanks guys (boondagle too). I am sold on them now.

Philip

** 2015 S4 Sebring Blue | B8 | MT6 | Quattro | 3.0L | 333HP | Black Optic | DSG | Sport Differential | ADS | Fine Black Nappa | MMI Nav + | B&O **
** 2004 TT Ocean Blue | 8N | MT6 | Quattro | 1.8L | 225HP **
Old 10-09-2015, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sworksone
Sworksone, can you share how much they cost each? Thanks,
Old 10-09-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TygerTyger
Sworksone, can you share how much they cost each? Thanks,
They were around ~$350 CAN each two years ago. At the time it was a really good price.