S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First two drives

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adg44
The S4 (but not the A4), along with every A5 and S5 has a soundaktor.
You own/drive a B9? Or are you just talking in generalities?

Last edited by aj6; 03-29-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carys4
Hi - could you please do me a huge favor and post pics of your car? I will be ordering the same color (Navarro exterior/Grey interior, Prestige, sport) this Friday and wanted to see more pics of the Navarro Blue. Thanks in advance
I have some crappy ones right now. Some from the dealer and a couple I took in overcast skies. All I can say is in person it looks very nice and I've gotten lots of compliments.

No idea why this posted upside down
Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lawgone
I have some crappy ones right now. Some from the dealer and a couple I took in overcast skies. All I can say is in person it looks very nice and I've gotten lots of compliments.

No idea why this posted upside down
Wow thank you so much!!! I am more excited now about the color choice! I really appreciate it - and didn't even mind the anti-gravity shots.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The sales rep indicated the alcantara was "fairly easy" to clean but nowhere near as easy to keep clean as the leather. He also said, that in the long run the leather is more durable.
Alcantara is a high-grade microfiber that is not as expensive has high-grade leather, but more expensive than standard leather. It has a high level of stain resistance for a fabric, though admittedly less so than leather. However, it requires less maintenance than leather and is not prone to drying out and cracking. I can understand that some people prefer the feel of leather, but I would not choose leather over Alcantara simply for long-term durability.

Last edited by JD15; 03-29-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carys4
Wow thank you so much!!! I am more excited now about the color choice! I really appreciate it - and didn't even mind the anti-gravity shots.
You're welcome! I think you'll love it when you see it in person. It really stands out from all the gray, black and white cars on the lot. But whatever color you get, you'll love the engine...how it performs and especially how it sounds
Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
You own/drive a B9? Or are you just talking in generalities?
I'm just providing the facts regarding which models are equipped with a soundaktor.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
The S4 (but not the A4), along with every A5 and S5 has a soundaktor. To essentially turn this off, just go to individual mode of drive select and choose comfort for engine sound.

There are two actuators for the exhaust which open in sport mode. One before the rear drivers side muffler, and one on the outer tailpipe of the passenger side muffler. These are operated independently so you have one, two, or four tailpipes open at any time.
I don't think the right terms are being used. Soundaktor (German for "sound actuator") is a vehicle audio system used to simulate engine noise in the cabin of some Volkswagen automobiles.

It is used in the S3 but NOT the S4/S5, not in the previous gen or now.

The organic sound changes are made by the use of valves in the exhaust path, switched on or off through Audi Drive Select.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:41 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the guy with the 10 year old car is a bit of out touch.

I asked an owner in the other forum and he says it doesn't have a soundaktor. That's consistent with the report from the review. That's good news!

Last edited by aj6; 03-30-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
I don't think the right terms are being used. Soundaktor (German for "sound actuator") is a vehicle audio system used to simulate engine noise in the cabin of some Volkswagen automobiles.

It is used in the S3 but NOT the S4/S5, not in the previous gen or now.

The organic sound changes are made by the use of valves in the exhaust path, switched on or off through Audi Drive Select.
The previous gen (B8) S4/S5 definitely has a Soundaktor. I don't know about the current generation (B9). Also, it does not use the audio system to simulate engine noise like BMW's system. The Soundaktor is a speaker mounted outside the passenger cabin just under the windshield. It uses the firewall and windshield as an amplifier. Audi says it plays back a recording of the engine to enhance the engine noise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor
Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The previous gen (B8) S4/S5 definitely has a Soundaktor. I don't know about the current generation (B9). Also, it does not use the audio system to simulate engine noise like BMW's system. The Soundaktor is a speaker mounted outside the passenger cabin just under the windshield. It uses the firewall and windshield as an amplifier. Audi says it plays back a recording of the engine to enhance the engine noise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor
That link does not say the B8 S4 uses it...it says the S3. The B9 definitely doesn't. It uses a mechanical valve in the exhaust to change the sound in Dynamic mode.

Quick Reply: First two drives