S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

I'm over Automatic Audi

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm over Automatic Audi

I just finished purchasing my new work car after my TDI Sportwagen (6mt) left me on the side of the road for the 3rd time in 14 months. My new car is also a manual even though I drive over 30k a year. It certainly makes the 30+ thousand miles go by a lot faster. As I shopped I was disappointed at what wasn't available in a manual but pleasantly surprised at what was at times. What really shocked me was the newest Audi's were all automatics including the A3 Diesel.

My early driving days as a kid were in audi's golden age of growth. The new A4 was out and completely put Audi on the mainstream map. The 90 Quattro cars and Quattro Coupe were within price reach of younger working class. A trip to the dealer would result in a plethora of cars, colors and options. You could find a yellow A4 station wagon in manual, an all aluminum S8 (that car hasn't lost its identity) you had to S cars in all sort of flavors And even A6's and Allroads with the S4 drivetrain. The new TT couple was revolutionary and the next gen B6 A4 gave you tons of build options.

I couldnt afford anything on an Audi lot but there wasnt another brand I wanted more than the 4 rings. It was such a unique brand. Now I'm at the point in my life where I can finally afford to buy one and I no longer have interest. To completely eliminate the manual transmission is simply sad and dissapointing. Audi built a wonderful car in the A3 even though it has a haldex unit. The size, the lines, the packaging, the engine choices but no manual is just mind boggling to me. To build the next S cars in a standard automatic really made me reflect on why I fell in love with the brand and what that brand means today. If you have driven the SQ5 its hard to argue that the 8speed in that car was a slush box. It was very tight and quick particularly in sport mode but the S4 isn't an suv, it's an image car. It's dissapointing this is The new image for Audi.

I have no issues owning and loving past Audi cars but it's definitely a sad day as I come to the realization that there won't be any in the future. Reading no more manual S cars feels like a knife in the back. This isn't to stir up an argument, attack automatic fans or petition Audi. Just a sounding board. I adored Audi and had an obsessive loyalty to the brand. Now it's just displaced to what the brand used to be.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Many of us are in 100% agreement but are resigned to the fact that our MT choices are pretty much depleted across all car lines. It's a sad day, but one that we knew was coming for quite a while now.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, I'm not on board with the next S4 going torque converter automatic, however, I also have no interest going back to manual transmissions anymore after 15+ years of driving them. The sweet spot IMO for a GT or sport sedan is the dual-clutch transmission. I've yet to drive an implementation of the ZF8 in this segment that matches the responsiveness and connected drivetrain feel of a dual-clutch in manual mode. I've driven several Audis and BMWs with the ZF8. It's just not there. The RS7 and Jag X-type are still on my list, but they are not in this segment, but supposedly the implementation in those cars rivals a dual-clutch. Personally, the dual-clutch is it for me now. In manual mode it provides the responsiveness, feel, control and fun of a manual transmission with the convenience of a fully automatic mode for daily driving comfort. That's what a GT is all about. Comfortable for everyday and long distance driving, but still providing driving thrills when demanded. A manual transmission is fun, however, it's a pain in the rear in traffic etc. no matter how one turns and twists it.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Completely agree with you, it's not like what it used to be. The early 2000's was Audi's prime time in the US... Wagons, lifted station wagons, etc. and they all came in manual or auto. Try getting a Audi Wagon today. And if you want a manual, forget it. I blame it on the stubborn, lazy people of America (and rest of world too), People think FWD SUVs are better than cars/wagons. I don't know where the perception of "SUVs are safer" came from. But it needs to end. as much as I hate saying it, I see why Audi is phasing out the manual gearbox, for a daily driver, having a manual would get old real quick. It stresses me thinking about it, having to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, holding a coffee in one hand, and using the other hand to shift. Haha. But I see no reason it should be phased out on the S models. At least give the option.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree 100% with the original poster.

Nothing but manuals for me since 1989. After driving the family hand-me down, an 84 Pontiac Sunbird, when I left for South Africa for a year of work, I decided it was time for a manual. Having never driven one in my life, that first morning commute to work in a Golf, on the wrong side of the road, was interesting to say the least.

Returning, I went through some junker Civics, and my first new car purchase was a 92 Eclsipse AWD.

Then I saw a B5 A4, and was smitten.

Been rowing the 5 speed of my 99.5 Santorin Blue A4 since then. 17 Years, 241,000 miles and it is still my daily driver.
Reading reviews of the A4/S4, and seeing that they finally managed to tame the yuuuge grill, I was elated. Time for an upgrade. ...after I finally convinced my self that what I paid for the A4 in 99 plus inflation, plus making much more money, plus house being paid off I could get the S4. Then the realization of no manual....what's the point. Don't want it, don't wnat anything auto. I want to drive it, not the other way around.

I know autonomous vehicles are coming, it's inevitable, and traffic will likely improve because of it, safety will improve. But it'll be so damn boring.

So I guess I'll save some coin....The short list.
Old S4 (yuuge grill? probably not)
Golf R
Golf STI
CC + Mods
Accord V6 + Mods
Civic + Mods
Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know this may be heresy...

… but if you are looking for a performance sedan with a manual transmission - please don't forget the Chevrolet SS. I know its not European, but it is a very sophisticated beast and overlooked by the public. Great deals can be found for well under $43K and the performance cred (braking, handling, etc) is world class. Plus, parts cost are "Chevy-friendly" - or should I say "Holden Commodore friendly".

I assumed I will be flamed for this, but after owning nine Audi's, belonging to the Club and volunteering at events, I have paid my dues and I will say what I feel ;-)

Don't laugh until you have a spirited test drive in an SS - the motoring press considers this car a well kept secret for the cognoscenti. Our 2014 S4 is nearing the end of its lease, and I am considering a last of the B8's in Nogaro Blue - or branching out. The World is full of interesting cars…

Happy Easter or to The Spirit of renewal and the joy of life awakened (Christianity not required)

Eric

PS to Slack - great list of affordable wonderful cars. I loved my "R32" and my Honda Preludes - the modern V6 Accord Coupe is another sleeper that needs just a hint of mods to wake it up. The GTI with the Track Package is a real hoot. The STI/Evo are more expensive to insure here in CA than my RS5 (yikes). When I asked my agent why, she responded - "half the STI's in CA end up stolen or wrecked in the canyons". I though she was just speaking hyperbole, but on my first day on the legendary Rt33 north of Ojai (back in 2011) in my new S5, I passed a scene where they were extracting a brand new STi from a tree (driver critically injured, passenger dead). I have since encountered three wrecked cars on my canyon loops - one was a BMW driven by a drunken fool and two others were (you guessed it), blue STI's crumpled. How sad as they are fantastic cars hobbled by testosterone. As an old fart (57), I am blessed with low insurance rates that help make cars affordable.

Last edited by eric strauss; 03-27-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Chevy SS is awesome. Some are even cheaper then $40k depending on dealer. They have magnetic ride too! Plus it can always be rebadged as a Holden! Cool vehicle. There's also the Cadillac CTS-V, another nice alternative with a manual.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

The Chevy SS appears to come only in RWD version.

There are not enough selection of preformance US vehicles with AWD.

I am so over RWD vehicles with traction issues and tracton control kicking in.

Last edited by m444; 03-27-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed. if you need AWD there's basically nothing out there.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Auto Emergency Braking Could Be Final Nail in Coffin for Manual Transmissions

This isn't good for manual transmissions...

Remember the days when you could pretty much get any Audi model with a manual transmission? good times. End of an Era I guess.

Quick Reply: I'm over Automatic Audi