S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Order Date For 2017 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I think they seem to have excellent chassis engineers, but no money for putting finished quality in the product.
Exactly my belief. I do think Jag is on their way though. But they don't have many more chances in the US market. Especially if they blow the F-Pace intro here.

Originally Posted by Glisse
If I get sick of waiting for the B9 S4 to turn up, I'll probably go the same way myself.
You may get lucky in CH and see the new S4 before winter, but I don't think we have any chance of that now. I'll post pics on the other forum soon. Thanks for the good wishes and good luck to you.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was hoping to get the MY 17 S4 to replace my Infiniti Q50 sport Hybrid, but my lease is up in September, and it would appear that B9 S4 will not show its face in 2016… Dealers who want you to commit and order were telling me not to expect it before January at the earliest.

So i needed an alternative. I wanted an M3, but AWD is a must in Chicagoland. So i went with a 340xi, Msport, Track handling. I ordered it, and it wont be for a month or two. I may try a 2 year lease at delivery. I will be bummed with the B9 S4 does show up around delivery time.

The 340xi i felt handled great and i felt the interior, while not as fancy as i would like (compared to infiniti) it was still fine.

Interested if anyone else who needs a car before the B9 S4 comes out, considered the 340?

im excited about it, but I would definitely have jumped on the S4 if the timing was right...
Old 07-09-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in a similar position (except my lease was up in August). I ended up buying a 16' S3 which was available at a steep discount. Very happy so far. In terms of rear legroom there isn't a huge difference and I'm enjoying the agile 2.0T a fair bit. If the S4 was available I would have sprung for it but it was too long to wait.

I'm also in Chicago so Quattro was a factor.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anybody have any info on when we can start placing orders for this since its now MY2018 release?
Old 07-14-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by ahyiah
Anybody have any info on when we can start placing orders for this since its now MY2018 release?
The date is still months away because orders cannot even be placed in Germany yet and the US release always lags behind. Strangely, the Audi DE configurator for the S5 is already online.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 340i XDrive

Originally Posted by expiredyouth
I was hoping to get the MY 17 S4 to replace my Infiniti Q50 sport Hybrid, but my lease is up in September, and it would appear that B9 S4 will not show its face in 2016… Dealers who want you to commit and order were telling me not to expect it before January at the earliest.

So i needed an alternative. I wanted an M3, but AWD is a must in Chicagoland. So i went with a 340xi, Msport, Track handling. I ordered it, and it wont be for a month or two. I may try a 2 year lease at delivery. I will be bummed with the B9 S4 does show up around delivery time.

The 340xi i felt handled great and i felt the interior, while not as fancy as i would like (compared to infiniti) it was still fine.

Interested if anyone else who needs a car before the B9 S4 comes out, considered the 340?

im excited about it, but I would definitely have jumped on the S4 if the timing was right...
I agree. My lease on my 2013 S4 is up in September and it looks like the BMW 340i XDrive is the only real option.

I would like to stay with Audi but my only option is to drop down to a 2017 S3 (if those are out) or an A6 3.0T.

I like the new A4 but after 2 S4s....I just cant do the 2.0T. I know its up on power...but after an S4....it just feels very weak.

The problem for me is the S3 is a little too small and the A6 a little too big.

Its like Goldie Locks....the S4 and its direct competitor the 340i are the perfect sports sedans.

If the 440i Gran Coupe is out before mid September...I will look at that as well.

I was a BMW guy (e46 330i zsp/ e90 335i) before jumping over to Audi.

I switched over quality issues.

My 2007 335i was a quality nightmare.

Since switching to the S4...no issues at all.

My 2013 has run like a top.

Hopefully I will not regret going back to BMW with the 340i/440i.

Audi is going to lose a lot of S4 drivers whose leases came up in 2016/ early 2017.

I am hoping in the Fall of 2019 I can get the latest S4...maybe the 2020 "refresh" will be hitting the streets.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The suspension on xDrive is no good. BMW either can not or will not develop a proper sports suspension with AWD.

The AWD/suspension/steering setup on the Mercedes C43 is better than BMW with xDrive. Neither of them as good as Audi's MLB crown gear self-locking centre differential with torque vectoring Sports (rear) diff. Neither BMW nor Mercedes have anything like that in AWD. I believe the AMG arm of Mercedes is working on a new AWD system which may approach what Audi have, and could be on the W213 E63 out next year. Then again, MB are even more disorganised than Audi
Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I think I know what's going on with the B9 S4 delay -- pure speculation on my part. I have no sources, but I think it makes sense.

I believe there is a trickle down effect going on. The SQ7 is introducing a 48V electrical system to support an eTurbo. That is trickling down to the redesigned SQ5 as well which will be officially announced in the Paris Auto Show this October. Historically the S4 and SQ5 have effectively been the same engine. So far, everything above are the facts with sources.

Now onto speculation. It makes sense they are backporting the eTurbo to the new S4. Doing this to the S4 (and likely all future S and RS models) would be a unification move. That would explain everything.

I do not believe Audi initially expected to equip the eTurbo on the SQ5 -- because they had the segment to themselves and over the past few months, the GLC43 and FPace have been announced/launched. So to properly compete with new competition, they need something a little more special.

It may even be simpler than that. The eTurbo may have just come to fruition and now they just want it on everything.

Initially I wanted an S4, but then I changed my mind and got in line for a new SQ5 -- because, family.

Last edited by marnes; 07-19-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Perhaps they are wrong, but I thought most recent articles on the B9 S4 have stated that S4 is under production as of early July.

Isn't the S5 using the same engine as the S4 as well? The S5 just recently went for configuration on Audi.de.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by localh85
Perhaps they are wrong, but I thought most recent articles on the B9 S4 have stated that S4 is under production as of early July.

Isn't the S5 using the same engine as the S4 as well? The S5 just recently went for configuration on Audi.de.
Yeah, that's a very excellent point. Seems the only difference between the S4 and S5 is the number of doors.

How is it possible for the S5 to be announced so recently but configurable already, compared to the S4 which announced September 2015?

Anyways, what you say pretty much blows my theory out of the water, although perhaps future revisions will add the eTurbo. Guess it remains to be seen how well it does, and how expensive it is.

Quick Reply: Order Date For 2017 S4?