S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

US S4 Audi Order Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbude
Glisse,

I am considering both the S4 and S5 Sportback. Can you share any other differences between the 2 cars while we wait to test drive them?
Thanks,

Dan
Dan, the S5 Sportback has different suspension to the S4. It is slightly lower and stiffer, and it is noticeable. This applies to both the standard fixed suspension and the S adaptive suspension. The wider track (referred to as wheelbase in the earlier posts) of the S5 is due entirely to the lower positive offset of the wheels used. But of course Audi adjust the suspension geometry when changing offsets to deliver the same scrub radius, so simply putting lower ET wheels on an S4 will not deliver the same feel: this is not legal in much of Europe, but seems permissible in NA.

I drove an S4 Avant and an S5 Coupé. An S4 sedan and S5 Sportback are going to feel slightly different again due to weight/weight balance variations etc. But the weight differences between the various versions is less than what it was with the B8. A B8 S5 Sportback was a heavy car. An S4 sedan with a sunroof will weigh as much as an S5 Sportback without, and the Sportback will have better weight distribution.

But as others have said, design and loading flexibility are the main reasons to decide between an S4 sedan and an S5 SB. With the rear seats in place, there is no advantage to the Sportback other than the ease of a lift back rather than a trunk lid. But with the rear seats folded, there is a large advantage to the Sportback as there is no parcel shelf in the way.

The S5 Sportback should be around the same price as the S5 Coupé.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S4 order went in 15-Dec. Was considering S5 sportback but it looks too long and not 100% sure about the front styling. S4 saloon or S5 SB = you win.

I am wondering what Audi's bass (woofer) solution is with the S5. The S4 uses the parcel shelf for the Bang Olufsen woofer. The B&O system sounds amazing in my '17 A4.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmp151
Not sure what Audi's waiting for to release pricing in the United States. The wait has me stir crazy, now granted I already ordered my S4 for a few weeks ago but I'm curious to know how much I'm paying for it .
Sorry, brand new here so forgive me is this is a stupid question, but how can you order it if pricing isn't released? I'm in Ohio and have inquired about the S4, A5/S5 Sportback and the Q5 and they told me they are waiting to hear when they can order them. Are they available now? My BMW lease ends March 7th so time is important. If there is a better place in the forums to see when new models are being made available please let me know Thanks!
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like no ventilated seats? I become appreciated it on my A4...
Old 01-28-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawgone
Sorry, brand new here so forgive me is this is a stupid question, but how can you order it if pricing isn't released? I'm in Ohio and have inquired about the S4, A5/S5 Sportback and the Q5 and they told me they are waiting to hear when they can order them. Are they available now? My BMW lease ends March 7th so time is important. If there is a better place in the forums to see when new models are being made available please let me know Thanks!
You just negotiate a %off of MSRP. You are just taking a risk on what the MSRP will be.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Dan, the S5 Sportback has different suspension to the S4. It is slightly lower and stiffer, and it is noticeable. This applies to both the standard fixed suspension and the S adaptive suspension.
Just wanted to clarify this statement in this thread, as I did in a different one.

The S5 and S4 sit at exactly the same height. There is no ride height difference between the two cars, and you'll find the suspension firmness virtually identical.

A4 to A5 standard suspension is a different story. The A5 sits as the S4/S5 height, and compared to the A4 it is firmer and sportier (and -23mm).
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by adg44
Just wanted to clarify this statement in this thread, as I did in a different one.

The S5 and S4 sit at exactly the same height. There is no ride height difference between the two cars, and you'll find the suspension firmness virtually identical.

A4 to A5 standard suspension is a different story. The A5 sits as the S4/S5 height, and compared to the A4 it is firmer and sportier (and -23mm).
No, I did not find the suspension firmness virtually identical between the S4 and S5. The difference is not huge, but it is noticeable.

Audi have been open that they have tuned the ride/handling characteristics of the B9 A5/S5 versions to be a little more aggressive than the A4/S4 versions. Seems sensible enough to me.

Not sure why you can't feel the difference.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Glisse
No, I did not find the suspension firmness virtually identical between the S4 and S5. The difference is not huge, but it is noticeable.

Audi have been open that they have tuned the ride/handling characteristics of the B9 A5/S5 versions to be a little more aggressive than the A4/S4 versions. Seems sensible enough to me.

Not sure why you can't feel the difference.
I can't feel the difference because there is no difference. You are having a placebo effect, or it was different tires/air pressures.

You'll just have to trust me...
Old 01-30-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by adg44
I can't feel the difference because there is no difference. You are having a placebo effect, or it was different tires/air pressures.

You'll just have to trust me...
If you have been driving the various suspension iterations of the B9 S4 and S5 in the US, then you must be an Audi employee, either directly or third party perhaps.

Unfortunately, the VAG Group have proven themselves universally arrogant, selectively dishonest, and frequently opaque as events from the last 2 years play out. And, almost unbelievably, this continues.

Just as well I quite like some of their cars

So no, I don't "have" to trust you at all. Whilst many of your contributions have been valuable to me, others such as your comments on the torque limit rationale behind the choice of Tiptronic on KoVoMo engines seem typical Audi misinformation.

I have no issue with you expressing a different point of view to my own. I value it. But to attempt to promote your point of view by denigrating that of others comes across as immature. You merely needed to say that in driving both versions, you found suspension firmness virtually identical.

If you are an Audi employee, take a tip from a customer and lose the arrogance.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You are free to your opinion, but dont state it as fact when it is incorrect. The S4 and S5 have the same suspension setup and firmness. I understand that it can feel different, but as I stated above, that is likely due to air pressures and/or different tires.

Anyway, no need to derail this thread, and I apologize if you interpreted my post or it came off in a negative manner. Not my intention, just don't want to spread misinformation.

Last edited by adg44; 01-30-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: US S4 Audi Order Guide