S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Climate Control Console Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Console Problems

My S4 has a number of problems. When I bought it a year ago the AC worked wonderfully, but now that it is summer again the AC doesn't get cold. I want to get it fixed but I am troubled my the actual console being messed up.

The buttons dont really work. They are all hard to press in, and when you press them nothing happens. I have to repeatedly press them to get it to turn on, and when it is on there is no guarantee I will be able to get the fan to turn off! I have pressed the off button for probably 2-3 minutes straight before it actually turned off one time. I was never a fan of the climate control console when it worked in the first place. What are my options? Is there any after market options or am I just going to have to find a used one that hopefully has some life in it still. I know I cant be the only person who has had this problem before.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default well...

Originally Posted by Golden3ye
My S4 has a number of problems. When I bought it a year ago the AC worked wonderfully, but now that it is summer again the AC doesn't get cold. I want to get it fixed but I am troubled my the actual console being messed up.

The buttons dont really work. They are all hard to press in, and when you press them nothing happens. I have to repeatedly press them to get it to turn on, and when it is on there is no guarantee I will be able to get the fan to turn off! I have pressed the off button for probably 2-3 minutes straight before it actually turned off one time. I was never a fan of the climate control console when it worked in the first place. What are my options? Is there any after market options or am I just going to have to find a used one that hopefully has some life in it still. I know I cant be the only person who has had this problem before.
I was having similar issues.. my buttons would stick too. Finally I decided to disassemble the entire unit and clean it button for button. After that I've never had an issue. My only issue now is a clogged heater core. oh well.. I'll fix it this summer I suppose.

Back to your issue. Have you got the tools to remove the radio? also do you know how to disassemble the a/c console? I've seen a ton of S4's and A4's being the cup holder sits right above it and allows any drippage to collect on the radio and a/c buttons. You could go for a new used one, or just clean it.

Now as for your a/c.. if you do get the unit turned on, can you get it down low enough to get cold air? or is it the buttons getting stuck that won't allow that? I'm curious because I could take it apart for ya and all you'd have to do is reinstall it. But if there's other issues within the a/c system that's not actually cooling the air down.. then cleaning the buttons alone won't completely fix the problem. But again if ya need help, send me a PM.

I've done it on my buddies S4 and mine... next I'll be doing my bro's A4 along with his tb and wp such and such...

Hope this helps, good luck. Lmk what's actual symptons that way I can better help ya.

Chris
Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
I was having similar issues.. my buttons would stick too. Finally I decided to disassemble the entire unit and clean it button for button. After that I've never had an issue. My only issue now is a clogged heater core. oh well.. I'll fix it this summer I suppose.

Back to your issue. Have you got the tools to remove the radio? also do you know how to disassemble the a/c console? I've seen a ton of S4's and A4's being the cup holder sits right above it and allows any drippage to collect on the radio and a/c buttons. You could go for a new used one, or just clean it.

Now as for your a/c.. if you do get the unit turned on, can you get it down low enough to get cold air? or is it the buttons getting stuck that won't allow that? I'm curious because I could take it apart for ya and all you'd have to do is reinstall it. But if there's other issues within the a/c system that's not actually cooling the air down.. then cleaning the buttons alone won't completely fix the problem. But again if ya need help, send me a PM.

I've done it on my buddies S4 and mine... next I'll be doing my bro's A4 along with his tb and wp such and such...

Hope this helps, good luck. Lmk what's actual symptons that way I can better help ya.

Chris
I dont know how to take the radio out and then take apart the AC console, but if I can find a guide online I am willing to give it a go.

As far as teh AC goes, I can turn it on it just doesn't get cold at all. I have been contemplating taking it to get fixed but I was just hesitant since my controls seem to be malfunctioning as well. But I will try out cleaning the buttons and see if they become more responsive.

Because they were definitely sticky but I could press them and they dont always turn on or off the corresponding function on button press.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default theres a reason

I dont know how to take the radio out and then take apart the AC console, but if I can find a guide online I am willing to give it a go.

As far as teh AC goes, I can turn it on it just doesn't get cold at all. I have been contemplating taking it to get fixed but I was just hesitant since my controls seem to be malfunctioning as well. But I will try out cleaning the buttons and see if they become more responsive.

Because they were definitely sticky but I could press them and they dont always turn on or off the corresponding function on button press.
and that is, when you push one button on your remote control for your tv, then try to press another button... nothing happens. Well same concept here. one of those buttons is stuck on... thus not allowing you to switch to any other mode or temp or fan speed.. and so on... hence why it takes you so long to finaly get it to shut off.

Look on ebay for the radio removal keys... cheapest is like 5 bucks.. if not, i've done it before, roll up to a stereo shop and ask them politely if they wouldnt mind pullin ur radio so you could get to a wire... some bs with that sandwich works welll. I got my tools after that tho. anyways, once the radio is pulled unplug it all and set it aside, then pull..yes pull the a/c unit straight out. disconnect and if your brave enough, go to town and disassemble it and clean each button and crevas.

a little side note.. you may have to unscrew the ashtray before pulling the a/c unit out.. you can check that when the time comes. I can't remember EVERY little detail people! what do you expect of me! lol... I read too much.

If not send it to me... lol been there.. done that. Actually now that I remember, it was one of the first things I did with my S4 once I got it. Did the radio also.. now that was a task..

Chris
Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks chris you are quite helpful.

Side note, i wish it wasn't such a pain to get rid of this bose sytem, I hate it, all my speakers have diteriated and it sounds like crap. But from what I hear since they are bose components you cant swap in anything else but bose, confirm deny?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default UH...

thanks chris you are quite helpful.

Side note, i wish it wasn't such a pain to get rid of this bose sytem, I hate it, all my speakers have diteriated and it sounds like crap. But from what I hear since they are bose components you cant swap in anything else but bose, confirm deny?
well.. you can get a new head unit, buy new speakers and go from there... As for doing it the other way around... new speakers and keeping the bose head unit... I don't really know.

Anyone else here know about that? Personally I love my bose system... it sounds real nice (when properly tuned). Only have one slight issue with my right front speaker.. little crackle.. but goes away after the moisture is out. Honestly though, it hits/bumps very well for a stock system.. I'm a helicopter pilot so banging my music so that my windows literally pop out from to much pressure really isn't my thing. Never has been. I do like loud music but there's no need for 22' sub in my trunk that are larger than my bloody wheels.... plus the whole power usage and capacitors and rapage of alternators. lol Nah... I'm happy with my stock setup.

Works well and I got my ipod hooked up as well.. so it keeps me sane. Well... most of the time. Sometimes the other drivers bring out the HULK in me. lmao