S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

CX Racing Intercooler Review?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX Racing Intercooler Review?

Has anyone installed cx racing intercoolers(FMIC or side mounted)? Are they any good, the price seems too low to be at the quality level of someone like AWE? Also, how is the install, performance gains, and any thing else you wish to add?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it. (with JHM piping) I read a while back (week or so) that CX now copied the JHM piping too.

Anyway, I like it enough. Better than stock anyway. The modifications required to make it fit however are pretty drastic. Maybe Roman will chime in with his pictures.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did someone call me? Sorry if I'm late, I'm still working on getting into my AUDIMAN costume. Friggin phone booths are so tiny...

I've had both the cx racing sidemounts and the FMIC with JHM hardware like Comp. If I were you I would go with the sidemounts until you go stage 3 - the cxracing ones are cheap, reliable and easy to install. The only modification I made to them was to drill holes through the mounting brackets but even this was not really necessary, just optional.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks to both of you guys, thats exactly what I wanted to know.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

CX Racing SMICs are utter crap:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=220421&page=2
Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, I read through that and there is one guy there who is adamant that the cores are crap but the vast majority of the posts say something like:

Good deal for the money, not as good as ER, etc.

As usual for AZ there's a bunch of **** talking and very little data to back up the claims either way. Here's what I know: I ran cxracing SMIC for a year on a stage 2 car with no problems.

If you know you're going stage3 and you just need an intermediate solution that is better than stock then cxracing is perfect. If you know you want to have ER at some point you might as well go with ER right off the bat. It depends on what your ultimate goal is. Intercoolers are not rocket science.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They are like stock+ ICs. They remove the chances of the plastic end tanks from separating in the stock design. They might be a bit better than stock, but for the price they are really just an improved OE style.

They arn't being sold to compete with ERs so don't compare them with them. At best they are probably similar to OEM RS4. AZ is ****ing retarded, as usual.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They're good

That's with Meth and rs6's. But it was also a 3.1 fats time on a conservative tune. In my opinion, the only downside to the cxracing FMIC is the trimming you'll need to do to your bumper. But for the money and the performance, I love it!

With a little work you can tuck in the pipes if this isn't your style.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's another at an ambient temp of 95 degrees with no meth.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just want to make sure OP understands that the graphs above are for the FMIC

Quick Reply: CX Racing Intercooler Review?