Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 118884

Default do front wheel bearings squeak when they are going bad?

My front drivers side sometimes squeaks pretty loud when i'm driving below 40 mph. You cant hear it with the windows up, and it will go away and then come back when you turn. It's really odd. It also goes away when I hit the brakes. Could this be the brake pads lightly rubbing the rotor? I searched and it seemed like wheel bearings and cv joints click when they go bad. Any ideas?

•cc mod•Vogtland Club Spec springs•some red zipties holding things together•a sticker or two•cracked rim•
silvermiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Account #: 51237

Default usually it's a loud humming noise and will get louder when you put load

on whichever side is going bad.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 85994

Default I am guessing the lower control arm or like you said the pad rubbing on the rotor. I had both

happen to me.

The lower control arm was more of a constant squeek. To fix this quick to save myself time before I changed them I bought a grease gun and injected grease into the lower control arm boot. Was good for 3 months.

The brake squeek was more metal on metal hight pitched noise. You can visually inspect the front rotor and you will see fresh metal rubbed off on the rotor if the brake is rubbing. When that was the case for me I used a long screwdriver and a hammer and slightly tapped on the screwdriver that I put against the pad and it moved it just enough to clear the lip it was hitting.

Good luck.

Stasis 6-speed trans
GIAC Chip
KO4's
RS6 Intercoolers w/ RS4 encaps
5 bar FPR
Hitachi MAF
JHM shift linkage upgrade <-- Great upgrade!!
034 track density motor/trans mounts
LWFW CM stage 4 clutch <--- crap crap crap!!!!! I switched to resurfaced FW and VAST clutch. So far so good!
Piggies
APR Snub mount
B&M Short shifter
H&R sport springs/sway bars
Bilstein shocks
Magnaflow Mufflers

stage 3 fueling/software by ?????

Things I need :
rear view mirrow (auto dim)

myspace.com/ninjaed
KillA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks!

•cc mod•Vogtland Club Spec springs•some red zipties holding things together•a sticker or two•cracked rim•
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 130804

Default might also be that a pebble or something has gotten stuck in the brake dust shield...

I had a what sounds like a similar issue a little while ago that has come and gone...haven't had an opportunity to fully inspect it though.

Now with crappy iPhone sig pic action.

Vogtland GTs
034 TBB
710N's
804S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member

Default thats happened before, it made a really awful grinding noise. I'll recheck that too. Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, audi, bad, bearing, bearings, front, s4, squeak, squeaking, squeal, squeek, squeel, wheel, wheelbearing, wheels