S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

drove a you know what last night....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-1999, 10:02 AM
robfox

Default drove a you know what last night....

Oh, my.

I think the best thing I can say about it is that it is just like my A4 only better (brakes, pickup, tranny). I really spent a lot of time on the details, so any specific questions I might be able to answer. It was light silver w/ onyx and silver alcantara, bose, sunroof, cd changer, htd seats.

A few things that jumped out at me...SMOOTH but fast acceleration, nice exhaust tips, nice noise but maybe not enough for some (I'm just coming out of a VR6), transmission is like butter. No joke, it is effortless into every gear. The throws are short to 1,3,5 but too long to 2,4,6. Stereo is very nice sounding. I personally liked the aluminum trim, and am glad that is what I am getting. Stops FAST.

Wheels are better looking in person, nice center caps. Tires have little rimguards, and they ARE the potenza 040's. Very little clearance for those like me who were hoping to fit 245's. Spare is a matching wheel without a center cap. Fender gap is too much in front.

I love the sleeper effect, and anybody who wanted recognition in this car (a la M3) might be disappointed. No one picks up (yet) that this is not an A4.

Any other questions, ask away, I hope I took notice last night.

-rob

98 Jetta GLX (trade bait)
98 A4 2.8QTS (wife's)
00 S4 (being built this week)
Old 09-05-1999, 03:52 PM
mpm

Default Questions? I got a couple...

How does the shifter compair to the TT? The TT having a very mechanical notchy feel, with short throws...

Is the steering too light? Is there more road feedback then the A4?

Exhaust note sounds muffeled, is that true at speed as well?

How is the ride over harsh pavement?

How is the lumbar support in the seats, is it like the A4 or TT sport seat?
Old 09-05-1999, 07:53 PM
robfox

Default some answers...

Never drove the TT, don't know the gearbox. This has longer throws than the A4, IMO, but is smoother. If TT is anything like Jetta/Golf, this is definitely less notchy.

Steering too light? I always liked the steering in the A4, so I would say no. I would compare it to the A4 w/ sport package.

Exhaust is louder than A42.8, and is nice at speed. If you like loud, it won't be loud enough.

Harsh pavement--the kind that jars my bones in my lowered A3 Jetta--doesn't even get noticed.

As for the seats, they are the A4 sport seats. VERY nice. I like good lumbar support as well, and these seats had it.

Hope this helped,
-rob
Old 09-06-1999, 06:35 AM
mpm

Default Thanks Rob for the report, and do yourself a big favor...

drive the TT. It has the beefiest shifter I've ever driven - thick, short, mechanical throws. Makes my old 911 feel like I'm shifting a '60's bug, and that has the G50 gear box.

Sounds like they opted for smoothness in the S4, over the TT's heft. I'm under the impression that the box is the same ZF unit(or very similar) to the 993/996 box.

Regarding steering, I prefer feedback. I don't have much seat time in A4's, but a friend had an early 1.8 w/o the sport package, and that was really light. So, I guess the sport package is a little tighter - and hopefully the S4 a step further.

The exhaust note (and overall powerband) sounds like it's only there when you want it...perfect. This is my daily driver, so I love the fact that the S4 is comfortable being both civialized, as well as radical.

Same goes for the suspension. I love all those boy racers who lower their suspension, then over size the wheels and tires - to get that "look", and then blast by them over rough roads, as they look for the fillings that fell out of their head.

Audi has always made a great sport seat, this one has power lumbar (I believe)so, I can't wait to get really aquainted...

Thanks again, Rob...go drive a TT. Man is Audi on a roll!