S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Futher information about the RS4

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-1999, 01:14 PM
Matt Daniels

Default Futher information about the RS4

Here is some further information from Audi about the RS4.

Enjoy. I'll be adding this to the RS4 section tonight.

Matt

<b>September 1999</b>

<b>The high-performance Avant
The RS4 by quattro GmbH</b>

The RS4, a high-performance vehicle with uncompromising sports character in terms of both technology and visual appearance, is being launched onto the market by quattro GmbH, a wholly owned subsidiary of Audi AG. quattro GmbH has designed the RS4 on the basis of the Audi S4 as the supreme model in the A4 series and developed it in conjunction with AUDI AG.

The RS4, which, like its predecessor the RS2, is to be produced exclusively as an Avant model, will impress discerning customers who favour sports-style driving, thanks to its superlative performance. Such qualities are assured by a 280 kW (380 bhp) V6 biturbo engine, permanent four-wheel drive, overtly sporty suspension tuning and a high-tech brake system of a rating that reflects the engine's high performance.

The RS4 has cast off the visual understatement which typifies the S4: the strikingly flared wheel arches, the 18-inch light alloy wheels, the front apron extending well down, with its large air inlets, the aerodynamically styled tail and the side sills harmoniously integrated into the body line unmistakably emphasise the character and performance of the RS4. The RS4 is entirely geared up for sheer sports performance, without losing sight of the need for everyday suitability.

<b>Engine and transmission</b>

As on the S4, a 2.7-litre biturbo V6 engine with five valves per cylinder gets to work under the hood of the Audi RS4. Audi's engineering experts have taken what was already a very high-performance engine and given even more power and torque to the evolutionary version used on the RS4.

Instead of 195 kW (265 bhp) in the S4, the RS4 engine develops 280 kW (380 bhp) at 6,500 rpm. The V6 biturbo reaches its peak torque of 440 Newton-metres as low down the engine speed scale as 2,500 rpm.

The 2.7 litre six-cylinder engine has all the trappings of an out-and-out powerhouse: the separate turbochargers on each bank of cylinders, the hydraulically adjustable intake camshafts, the single-spark ignition coils, and the modern engine management system - the Bosch Motronic ME 7, with boost pressure, knock and exhaust-gas temperature control.

In conjunction with Cosworth Technology, the cylinder head has been redesigned and produced using a casting technique specially developed by Cosworth Technology. The admission and exhaust ports have been modified in line with the engine's higher performance, and the cross-section of the air ducts at both the intake and thrust side enlarged. The turbochargers have moreover been enlarged. The boost pressure has been increased compared with the S4. Thanks to the use of larger charge-air coolers with less pressure loss, efficiency has been further enhanced.

The engine's efficiency is also boosted by the new dual-branch exhaust system developed by quattro GmbH, with backpressure-optimized middle and rear silencers, larger-section pipes, and primary and main catalytic converters with a metal base.

<b>Road behaviour</b>

The six-speed manual gearbox with ratios chosen to suit the car's sports character, together with permanent four-wheel drive, converts the high torque of the biturbo V6 into propulsion and traction effectively and with excellent directional stability. In the discipline of the 0 - 100 km/h sprint, the RS4 achieves a time of 4.9 seconds; it takes 17.7 seconds to reach a speed of 200 km/h from a standstill. Its electronically governed top speed is 250 km/h.

In keeping with these superior performance data, the RS4's brake system has been completely redeveloped. Much larger composite-type brake discs have been fitted on both the front and rear wheels.

This technology, adopted from the world of motor sport, involves fixing the cast friction ring together with an aluminium brake-disc chamber by means of 14 pins.

This "floating" arrangement significantly improves the stability and shielding of the brake discs, particularly when exposed to extreme loads and at high disc temperatures. The weight reduction is a further advantage.

The diameter of the ventilated brake discs is 360 mm on the front axle and 312 millimetres at the rear. There is a dual-piston floating caliper on the front axle, and a single-piston floating caliper on the rear axle. The parameters of the ABS system and the electronic brake-force distribution system have been specifically modified to reflect the increased dimensions of the brake components.

The 18-inch wheels provide space for the RS4's more voluminous brake system. The 8.5 J x 18 cast aluminium wheels with a new spoke design have 255/35 ZR 18 tyres at front and rear.

The vehicle body has been lowered by around 20 millimetres compared with the A4. The control arms of the four-link front suspension and the swivel bearings are of aluminium. The spring/shock absorber units and elastokinematics have been retuned to suit the modified axle weights and axle geometry. Rack-and-pinion steering with a direct ratio also contributes towards the vehicle's distinctly sporty handling.

<b>Appearance</b>

The Audi RS4 is outwardly very different from the A4 on which it is based. The suspension tuning and the wide 18-inch tyres are not the only evidence of this Avant model's sporting constitution. The RS4's body has undergone a whole range of specific modifications, resulting in shapes where the principle of "form follows function" invariably applies and giving this high-performance estate car the dynamic charisma of a top athlete.

On the RS4, the 18-inch wheels are housed inside redesigned wheel arches, flared at both their front and rear edge by 35 millimetres. The broadening of the rear side section continues in the contours of the rear doors. The decision to omit side rubbing strips has also resulted in clearly distinct driver and front-passenger doors. Side sills accentuate the sporty side-on appearance.

The front end of the RS4 is dominated by three large air intake ducts: the central aperture is for the radiator, and those on the left and right are for the charge-air cooling. The exhaust air from the intercooler escapes through two vents in the sides of the front apron. The trim grilles on the air intake apertures and radiator are aerodynamically optimised, of a honeycomb pattern. The fog lights are integrated into the two outer air intake shafts.

The rear apron echoes the design principle of the front end with its three small, visually identical grille inserts. The exhaust gas emerges through two oval tailpipes beneath the left-hand "aperture". There is a spoiler on the roof edge of the tailgate, for additional downforce. All add-on components are of plastic.

Six exclusive paint colours underline the RS4's sporting flair: customers can choose from Avus Silver, Misano Red, Imola Yellow, Nogaro Blue, Goodwood Green and Brilliant Black. The roof rails, roof trim strips, window capping strips, door mirrors and radiator grille frame have a matt aluminium finish, and as such are among the more restrained external features of this, the most powerful A4; the RS4 logo on the radiator grille, tailgate and sill strips also have this finish.

<b>Interior</b>

The interior of the Audi RS4 is characterised by sports appeal combined with individuality and exclusivity. The individual interior equipment features, made from choice materials, are visually coordinated to produce a harmonised overall appearance in which the colour Onyx predominates.

The Recaro seats for driver and front passenger are a standard feature, providing stability, optimum lateral support and ample comfort, however long the journey may be. Three different types of seat upholstery are available, again as standard: black natural leather, silver satin-effect napa leather and a leather/fabric combination. With this latter option, the side sections and the head restraints are in black pearl napa, whereas the centre panel of the seat is in textile with a woven-in aluminium thread.

The range of door panel inserts reflects the options for the seat upholstery. The trim strips in the doors, centre console and instrument panel are available in a choice of black varnish or carbon. The steering wheel rim and gear lever **** are trimmed with perforated leather. As an option, the rim of the sports steering wheel and the gear lever **** can also be supplied in black or silver Alcantara, to match the leather seats. An eye-catching aluminium ring adorns both the airbag unit in the steering wheel and the **** of the redesigned gear lever. Instead of chrome, the inside door handles, the release button on the handbrake, the gearbox gate ring and the glove box lock are made from matt black anodised material.

The standard equipment specification of the RS4 includes significantly more features than that of the S4: in addition to the Recaro seats and the leather seat upholstery, heated seats and the "concert" radio with a 170 Watt Bose sound system are available at no extra charge. The safety equipment of the RS4 includes driver and passenger airbags, side airbags at the front, and Audi's SIDEGUARD head airbag system.

<b>Product line</b>

The Audi RS4 is the first model to have been created by quattro GmbH and developed in conjunction with Audi AG. Together with its special model series, the customisation range, exclusive accessories and lifestyle articles, the RS model series is a further significant product range of this Audi subsidiary.

The RS4 is to be built jointly by the Ingolstadt plant and quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm. It will be assembled and finished at quattro GmbH, at the rate of no more than a handful of cars each day, in the best handicraft tradition.

The Audi RS4 is scheduled for market launch in early 2000.

<b>Equipment and data refer to the model programme offered for sale in Germany. Subject to amendment; errors and omissions excepted.</b>
Old 09-09-1999, 01:41 PM
Todd W

Default Aluminum thread in the fabric? I want a pic of that!

And what is Goodswood Green?
Old 09-09-1999, 01:41 PM
DwayneC

Default Engine specs aren't as impressive as I first thought...

Although the HP looks good at 380hp (up from 265 for the stock Eurospec), torque is "only" 440Nm (up only 40Nm ~ about 30ft-lbs over stock).

To put this in perspective, Wett's Eurospec S4 chip (http://212.227.54.20/fzg/ukaudis4.html) gives 310hp and 480Nm. Here in North America I would rather more bottom end torque than top end HP.

Any idea what's up?

That said, I'd love to have those massive brakes on my car. 14.2" rotors are downright scary (the old 911 turbo only used 13").

Dwayne
94 S4
Old 09-09-1999, 02:00 PM
Randy

Default Re: Engine specs aren't as impressive as I first thought...

380 HP from 2.7L is still impressive. I've developed for GM, a 314 HP 2.3L Olds Quad 4 engine running 14 psi boost, fully street legal thru a production CAT on premium pump gasoline. It' wasted a lot of trannies...

You won't see the A4 RS Avant in America. It's quite posible to bump the torque a some more in the bottom end and mid-range but there's a limit with the variations in fuel quality. You're knock limited to a certain degree.

Torque is primarily based on engine displacement and cylinder pressure. The RS is intended for the Autobahn where HP does make a difference. It took the German engineers years to understand the U.S. market and the need for torque.
Old 09-09-1999, 02:02 PM
Randy

Default Re: Engine specs aren't as impressive as I first thought...

380 HP from 2.7L is still impressive. I've developed for GM, a 314 HP 2.3L Olds Quad 4 engine running 14 psi boost, fully street legal thru a production CAT on premium pump gasoline. It wasted a lot of trannies...

You won't see the A4 RS Avant in America. It's quite posible to bump the torque a some more in the bottom end and mid-range but there's a limit with the variations in fuel quality. You're knock limited to a certain degree.

Torque is primarily based on engine displacement and cylinder pressure. The RS is intended for the Autobahn where HP does make a difference. It took the German engineers years to understand the U.S. market and the need for torque.
Old 09-09-1999, 02:04 PM
Randy

Re: Sorry for the double post -
Old 09-09-1999, 02:15 PM
Greg W

Default Am I the only one who wishes the S4 got such aggressive styling?

nt
Old 09-09-1999, 02:40 PM
AvramD

Default I'm the opposite - I was upset that it looks *any* different from an A4 2.8!

I want my car to be "attractive," but *only* if it is stealth - that is my highest priority. If a cop sees me when I'm driving hard - a hard corner, or a quick speed-up, I want him to 1) not notice since it's just a common family sedan, and failing that, 2) quickly forget me since I look just like everyone else.

I plan on removing my rear S4 badge, and putting on A4 & 1.8t badges. I'm even considering replacing the cross-hatch grill w/ a standard A4 grill (although if I do that, I'll probably try to keep the front S4 badge - I can't let go of that).

I would prefer if the air dam & side skirts matched the A4 to further make this sleeper indistinguishable from a housewife's car.

As much as I want an RS4, I probably wouldn't use one as my daily driver just because it looks so aggressive. And since I'm not in a position to pay $65k (my guess for the RS4's price if it gets to US) for a *toy* then my only chance to have one will be to marry a woman who brings a little income to the table, and convince her to make it *her* car.

Oh, I also really like the chrome window trim on the 2.8!
Old 09-09-1999, 03:22 PM
RSS

Why the Avant body style? More rigid?
Old 09-09-1999, 04:20 PM
Rich R.

Default Not at all. I love it!...

I wish the S4 had the cleaner front air dam and aggressively flared fender wells of the RS4. Since it has neither, part of me wishes I hadn't even seen the RS4.

I rather despise the big rectangle on the front bumper of the S4, outlining where the Euro front license plate would be. I can't believe they made it that way, much less left it that way in the NA version.

I hope the RS4 body parts will fit and are available for the S4!

Quick Reply: Futher information about the RS4