Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
New Member
Account #: 163101
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default Heater core - Ok to drive if broken?

I think my heater core is out. Is there any problem with driving the car with a bad heater core? I live in Las Vegas and its summer, so I don't need heat right now.

I tried flushing and bleeding it, but no luck.
Vegas-S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 160955
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-S4 View Post
I think my heater core is out. Is there any problem with driving the car with a bad heater core? I live in Las Vegas and its summer, so I don't need heat right now.

I tried flushing and bleeding it, but no luck.
broken how? Is it leaking or just fried? Either way I think you're fine to drive it as long as you don't run the heater.
donromani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
New Member
Account #: 163101
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donromani View Post
broken how? Is it leaking or just fried? Either way I think you're fine to drive it as long as you don't run the heater.

It is fried.
Vegas-S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 162613
 
r1de23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 188
Default

are you not getting any heat inside the car? i wouldnt think it would matter, unless coolant is leaking..
r1de23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 163383
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Default

I've had cars where the heater cores started leaking.If thats the case you can bypass it by taking the hoses off and connecting them together.not sure if will work on the s4,but it has worked for me in the past.at least untill you can fix it correctly
dr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 25188
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 53
Default

Is it leaking? If so I am not sure how you can run AC w/o picking up some of the mist. I could taste it when I licked my lips while driving my car w/ a leaking heater core. I wonder if it effects the ability of the cooling system to be ender full pressure as well - I always thought that was part of the reason for bypassing - per the previous response. It is such a pain they should make them out of something indestructible imo. When the AC evaporator went on the S4 I had them replace the heater core while in there just to never have to go through it again.
jumpnofear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 163383
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnofear View Post
Is it leaking? If so I am not sure how you can run AC w/o picking up some of the mist. I could taste it when I licked my lips while driving my car w/ a leaking heater core. I wonder if it effects the ability of the cooling system to be ender full pressure as well - I always thought that was part of the reason for bypassing - per the previous response. It is such a pain they should make them out of something indestructible imo. When the AC evaporator went on the S4 I had them replace the heater core while in there just to never have to go through it again.
Thats a good question,I never had any problems with the pressure increase affecting the cooling system.I guess it could be problem if any of the hoses or seals were already weak.But I have only done this as temp fix to a daily driver and on a weekender that was setup more towards light to light racing.
dr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
27, a6, ac, audi, bad, bleed, borken, broken, cooling, core, drive, driving, effect, heater, leaking, system


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community