S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help! Diesel in Stg 3- tuned S4!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Diesel in Stg 3- tuned S4!!

I let my sister borrow my car one day and she F*ed it up right away by putting Diesel in it..........................

I need help... I know in normal car diesel isn't that big of a problem because you can just clean out the tank. But my question here is, will it make any trouble with tuned engine???

I have ECU VAST tuned for Stg3- set up for 93 octane. I dont have any fuel upgrades yet.

Im keep searching but I dont see anything that would answer my question.

im so sad right now...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is ...

Originally Posted by jjm82
I let my sister borrow my car one day and she F*ed it up right away by putting Diesel in it..........................

I need help... I know in normal car diesel isn't that big of a problem because you can just clean out the tank. But my question here is, will it make any trouble with tuned engine???

I have ECU VAST tuned for Stg3- set up for 93 octane. I dont have any fuel upgrades yet.

Im keep searching but I dont see anything that would answer my question.

im so sad right now...
physically broken? If not, don't sweat it yet.. if so.. cry... cry alot. Sorry had too.... Anyways.. not a big deal if it wasn't driven for to long. hopefully... drain the fuel, pull the plugs, remove the supply line to the fuel rail and and blow it out with compressed air also down at the bottom of the car where the fuel filter is remove it from there that way the diesel can escape. after all that... run the ignition and let the fuel pump push fresh fuel through the lines. Then reconnect the fuel lines and run it again, your running the starter for about 15 seconds at a time... not to burn it out but to get the fuel pump to refill the lines. After all that... after some fuel has been pushed out of the open supply line at the engine.. then reconnect that one too.

Then run the test once more to push any diesel through the injectors and out.. and have fresh fuel inside the injectors.

Put the plugs back in along with coils and restart the car.

If there's hasn't been any damage it'll run fine... theoretically .... if there has been.. well sorry but I tried.

I only know of the procedure to help ya out, Im in no way guaranteeing that it'll perfect after that considering I don't know the extent of damage.

Good luck, let me know how it goes...
Chris

P.s. don't be surprised if it's running alil rough for the first couple minutes being diesel is oily.. may take a minute to run the residual out.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks chris
so i guess my first step is to just drain out all the diesel and see if I have any extent damage on my engine... I dont think she even drove a mile with that condition. I really hope its just nothin.. and yes I will follow up with the result in few days to let you all know what could really happen if Diesel gets in to the tuned car.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So..

Originally Posted by jjm82
thanks chris
so i guess my first step is to just drain out all the diesel and see if I have any extent damage on my engine... I dont think she even drove a mile with that condition. I really hope its just nothin.. and yes I will follow up with the result in few days to let you all know what could really happen if Diesel gets in to the tuned car.
What happened? I'm curious how this went

Chris
Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
What happened? I'm curious how this went

Chris
okay i was so busy couldnt get my car back last week so I picked it up yesterday.

The car was fine... gladly... omg gladly.... omg... omg................

They clean out the tank and they drew all the diesel outta the rails by blowing air in it.

They told me I must change the fuel filter and so I let them change it with a new one.

They checked the fuel injectors and told me they look fine.

First time I started the car from the shop, it smelled very bad. I guess that was the burning Diesel.... I heard it will smell bad for couple of days but after that I will be fine.

Im glad my car is back on the road but my another worry is the O2 sensors. Im gonna have to see if they are okay later
Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did she put diesel in it in the first place?
Diesel fuel nozzles at the stations wont even fit in a gasoline fueled car. For just that reason.

Have you somehow created an angry passive aggressive woman in your life!? One that will stand there spraying diesel into your tank while holding the anti splash back flap open with a chopstick?

Ok, never mind. But it was a hilarious visual for me.

Sorry about the problems. I have never heard of someone getting diesel in their gas.
Gas in their diesel, yeah. And that is MUCH worse.

Diesel won't react to a spark so to speak. So it will run like doggy doodoo. Flushing the entire fuel system is your best bet.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dude...

Originally Posted by twinblus4
How did she put diesel in it in the first place?
Diesel fuel nozzles at the stations wont even fit in a gasoline fueled car. For just that reason.

Have you somehow created an angry passive aggressive woman in your life!? One that will stand there spraying diesel into your tank while holding the anti splash back flap open with a chopstick?

Ok, never mind. But it was a hilarious visual for me.

Sorry about the problems. I have never heard of someone getting diesel in their gas.
Gas in their diesel, yeah. And that is MUCH worse.

Diesel won't react to a spark so to speak. So it will run like doggy doodoo. Flushing the entire fuel system is your best bet.
We're talking about a woman here... you yourself should know better than to question the capabilities of a woman. They manage to have the ability to do things that simply do not work, yet they do it. Don't ask. Leave it at that, nod, smile, and say that's right honey. Done your job stops there. ... lol maybe you don't know better..? lol just messin with ya

To Jim,

The O2's are probably ok, give them some time to work the fuel through. Hopefully the diesel didn't ruin them. Doesn't take much to ruin an O2 sensor... I'd be more concerned with the cats... But again, once they heat up good and hot, that fuel should flow right on out. Again, hopefully not contaminating the cats.

Anyways, glad to hear it's back on the road.
Chris
Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

LOL..... (<--- laughing with you guys but kinda sad at the sametime)

Chris are you married?? seems to me you know woman very well! lol

I guess the gas station didn't change the diesel nozzle to the right size.

My sis told me she just put the nozzle in and pumped the fuel in.

The machine was all digital and you have to press a button to select which type of fuel you have to put in. I still don't know what exactly happened but it might be the gas station's fault or may be not... If it was a man, I would probably think that he had major stress at work and his eyes were going blind, his nose getting numb and half of his brain just fried and thats probably why he would put diesel in the gasoline car.... But this case is different! it was 'she' a woman... a different spieces... damn.....

I remember when I was 16 tryin to drive my mom's car and she told me "SON! YOU MUST WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!!" and she got into an accident while she was not wearing a seat belt. Gladly she was okay but this is what she said!

"SON!!! YOU SEE I have 25yrs of driving experience, I DONT NEED NO SEATBELT!!!" "SON PUT ON A DAMN SEATBELT OR ILL SMACK U!!!"

yeah... poor me...

anyway I will post later about the O2 sensor if it ever goes bad. I won't worry so much about the cats cuz I believe they already dead. Im about to eliminate Cat code by VAST (btw have you heard about the VAST Drama? :P )
Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know what to say but.

Diesel nozzles have larger diameter and won't fit into gas car, period.
Diesel pumps don't have fuel selector since there is only one diesel fuel at a given station albeit it might vary between stations what they exactly sell.

The only thing that might have happened is that they somehow dumper diesel fuel into gas storage tank but if that happened, there would be numerous cars in the neighborhood having issues and you should basically see what needs to be done to get reimbursement for repairs since this is gas station's fault.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
I don't know what to say but.

Diesel nozzles have larger diameter and won't fit into gas car, period.
Diesel pumps don't have fuel selector since there is only one diesel fuel at a given station albeit it might vary between stations what they exactly sell.

The only thing that might have happened is that they somehow dumper diesel fuel into gas storage tank but if that happened, there would be numerous cars in the neighborhood having issues and you should basically see what needs to be done to get reimbursement for repairs since this is gas station's fault.
Selectors between diesel and gasoline would be a very bad idea, as there would be residual gasoline in the hose/nozzle when fueling a diesel vehicle and then likely a bit of diesel left in the hose when next fueling up a gasoline engine.

Quick Reply: Help! Diesel in Stg 3- tuned S4!!