S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

JHM Shifter...not as good as I hoped...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JHM Shifter...not as good as I hoped...

I installed the shifter 2 days ago and so far I actually liked my Adjustable ToyGuy SS better. Maybe I'm the only one

Pros:
- Solid Shifter
- Much Reduced slop (About as much as the zip-tie mod, however the zip tie mod wore out after a few months on my car or it would move upwards)
- Quality Piece

Cons:
- Notchy even when compared to my lowered ToyGuy
- Noisy...This is one of my biggest complaints it really seems a lot louder when shifter. Not that big of a deal but it bothered me a bit
- Trouble Aligning it...I couldn't set the alignment back far enough...it looks as though the shape of the lower shift linkage is keeping it from sliding further in to the linkage sleeve. I could barely get it to 7deg rear tilt.
- Reverse Lockout spring isn't heavy enough. I occasionally keep my hand on the shifter and I find that it drops slightly. Oh and the reverse lockout is quite loud and makes a noise...maybe some grease will help with this.

---
* If I do decide to keep the shifter I will definitely be lowering it...coming from the Adjustable ToyGuy its night and day

The only issue right now is that I dropped one of the shifter cradle screws (10mm that hold the tray) and couldn't find it so its being held with 3 screws. I am going to replace the screw tomorrow however I doubt it will make a significant difference.

Another point that could have affected my results is my inability to properly align the shifter to the rear...has anyone else experience this? I can move the ToyGuy back quite a bit but the JHM stops at ~6deg due to the lower shift link.

Anyways before I revert to my ToyGuy SS I plan on giving it some more time but right now I'm not impressed (From a functionality standpoint) especially given the extra cost. It most certainly is a improvement but I feel as though the ToyGuy is the same if not more of an improvement especially for someone who doesn't track their car and isn't concerned to terribly about breaking it. The JHM is most definitely a quality piece with increase durability but I'm not sure its is for me yet.

Thoughts opinions?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hah, I dropped that screw too and that's why it's a little loud. I can hear

the metal clunking because of this. Need to button down that last screw...believe me it makes a difference. One other thing, I had no problem getting it to tilt 7degrees.

Only thing is I've been having a bitch of a time finding a replacement screw...anyone know where to find one?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I still like my old UUC 40%.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've installed the shifter probably 4-5 times and this is the first time...

I managed to drop one...I was hoping the local dealer would have one. It looked like a specialty screw. I will report back after I fix it...hopefully that will help.

Still kinda odd about the alignment. Would your shifter get past 7deg? Or would it stop shortly after...maybe the linkage on mine is off?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had no problem getting enough play in neutral to tilt it to 7 deg. I was using a magnetic

protractor and remember the only thing that prevented more tilting was because the protractor would hit the shifter console. But yes, it did tilt to 7deg. for me, however that was about the very maximum it would tilt before pressure would have to be applied to go farther.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice review...

Sad to say, it confirms my suspicions.

I went from an uber-solid Tanoga to a custom Toyguy (Al shaft, 1/2" reduction) for many of your reasons.

Anyhow, the TG is solid, short and feels OE. That's what I, personally, prefer. Some people like the more visceral shift experience. I may be hardcore, but not that hardcore Plus, well... I think a more "solid" shifter may be harder on the sliders.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Hmm I didnt have a problem with the alighnment either....

but have had problems in the past with my other car and another shifter.
With the pish down spring, it also said in the install video that you can switch it up with the stock one if you want it stronger..
Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love my UUC!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 PM

UUC at 40% all the way, perfect in every way
Old 03-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Quattro...

Quick Reply: JHM Shifter...not as good as I hoped...