S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Looking to upgrade the drive line

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade the drive line

I just bought a s4 avant with higher mileage (around 125k) and the drivetrain feels a bit sloppy. What should I look into for replacement/upgrade parts? I figured, tranny mounts + brace, Engine mounts, diff mounts, and a short shift kit. What are some proven products/company that you guys recommend that wont annihilate my wallet? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's the list as best I know...

engine mounts
transmission mounts
dts
rear diff mount
rear diff bushings

Some names:

034 Motorsports, ASP for engine and tranny mounts
Apikol and Stern for diff mounts and bushings
many have versions of a DTS - AWE, ASP, etc... plus there are versions out there with firmer mounts on the DTS.

JHM solid short shifter is really the only choice, I think, if you want to do that as well

good luck
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bingS4
here's the list as best I know...

engine mounts
transmission mounts
dts
rear diff mount
rear diff bushings

Some names:

many have versions of a DTS - AWE, ASP, etc... plus there are versions out there with firmer mounts on the DTS.

JHM solid short shifter is really the only choice, I think, if you want to do that as well

good luck
Thanks a lot!! is the DTS the tranny brace?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, [D]rive[T]rain [S]tabilizer", I think. And by the way, all of the items I listed are quite easy DIY items on jack stands except for the engine mounts which are a harder DIY since they require some removal of bigger items to gain access.

You're probably looking at about $1200 for everything. It'll make a huge difference.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bingS4
Yes, [D]rive[T]rain [S]tabilizer", I think. And by the way, all of the items I listed are quite easy DIY items on jack stands except for the engine mounts which are a harder DIY since they require some removal of bigger items to gain access.

You're probably looking at about $1200 for everything. It'll make a huge difference.
thanks a ton for the info!! can you compare the AWE part vs the JH motorsport DTSs? I see that the AWE is a bit cheaper. Are there any other ones i should consider if on a budget? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As you've probably seen, both are on sale now: AWE at 239 and JHM at 275 for a sale on a new production run. The JHM model comes with an "upgraded" poly mount that's supposed to be stiffer, I think. You could get the AWE one for $239 and later on if you want to buy the poly mount upgrade from JHM, you can get it separately for $40.

One note - the big subframe bolts that you remove to put the mount on are one-use-only bolts so you'll need to replace them with new ones. I don't think the AWE instructions included that note if I remember correctly.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

bing's got you covered. While you're installing all this I would also recommend you flush and refill the gear oil. Mobil 1 75w-90 is recommended or you can go with something even better, like Redline.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you own the wrong car if your looking to not "annihilate" your wallet...but as bing S4 put it
"Some names:

JHM solid short shifter is really the only choice, I think, if you want to do that as well"

Good luck
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto on everything they said starting with the DTS (best bang for the buck IMO).

've got most all of this and am heading toward the rear end to stiffen things up a bit more (Apilko rear diff mount, new driveshaft, subframe mounts...etc)
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank you guys so much for the info!!! Going to buy the JHM solid shifter. Do you guys think I should go with the "full package" with the delrin bushings and the solid linkage upgrade? or is that unnecessary for the extra $200?

I'm still deciding between the AWE and the JHM DTS. Looking at the price, the AWE was an easy choice, but now that I see the AWE does not include the poly mount its another hard decision.

bing - thanks for the heads up on the bolts! got a part number for those bolts by chance?

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade the drive line