S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Looking to upgrade the drive line

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine at Lowe's. A little blue loctite and your good to go.

By the way, I also picked up some spacers from Lowe's since the poly mounts looked a little short when I installed it.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bingS4
One note - the big subframe bolts that you remove to put the mount on are one-use-only bolts so you'll need to replace them with new ones. I don't think the AWE instructions included that note if I remember correctly.
Ahh you're kidding! I didn't know that.. bummer. Anyone know if they're the same for a b5 Passat? The nearest Audi dealer is an hour away.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry - no part numbers. You might be able to find them at vagcat.com though. It's basically an online free version of ETKA.

The bolts are stretch bolts - that's why they're one-use-only. I'm not sure I'd trust bolts from Lowes unless they're specifically labeled as such for the necessary torque - which I doubt any of them are there. Sorry I don't have the torque specs handy.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and about the solid linkage - replacing that is more work up near the top of the transmission so I'm personally putting off the decision to replace those bits until I have the engine and tranny out of the car for other work. And even then I might not replace with anything other than stock. With just the shifter it feels good to me, and I'm nervous about really locking down the mechanism with all the solid parts and not getting the adjustment perfect and hurting my transmission - but maybe that's not a problem. I don't know enough about how that all works yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've removed and reinstalled the stock bolts about 20 times now. I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but it's not like the subframe is going to drop out while driving if you don't replace them.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bingS4
Oh, and about the solid linkage - replacing that is more work up near the top of the transmission so I'm personally putting off the decision to replace those bits until I have the engine and tranny out of the car for other work. And even then I might not replace with anything other than stock. With just the shifter it feels good to me, and I'm nervous about really locking down the mechanism with all the solid parts and not getting the adjustment perfect and hurting my transmission - but maybe that's not a problem. I don't know enough about how that all works yet.
thank you! ill just go with the shifter then. I picked up a 00 sedan just before I picked up this avant (once i got the sedan, I realized I need the extra trunk space of the avant), and noticed it has a brace under the tranny. It almost looks like it is just a standard black piece of barstock (possibly OEM-looking), but it definitely isnt there on the avant. I can tell you that even with that little bar, the shifting feels MUCH better than in the avant. Hopefully, the DTS will help out on my avant.

Last edited by M3 J0N; 12-17-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donromani
I've removed and reinstalled the stock bolts about 20 times now. I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but it's not like the subframe is going to drop out while driving if you don't replace them.
Were they abnormally loose when you backed them out, ever? Someone mentioned blue Loctite, I think that might work if I can't get a hold of the bolts.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nope, never had any issues with them being loose. Blue locite is a good idea though, I think I will put a drop on them the next time I have to drop the sub.

Last edited by donromani; 12-17-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

My loctite comment was for the bolts that hold the polymount to the tranmission - no the subframe bolts. Maybe I miss-understood which bolts he was looking for.

I've also reused the subframe bolts as well - not technically correct if they're torque to yield; however, torque to yield bolts will continue to work - your just a little higher on the stress strain curve.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can someone tell me if the posts are supposed to be backwards here? I don't know if it has something to do with the settings or what, I don't think I changed them. I searched everywhere and didn't find anything. Didn't want to make a thrad about something this small.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade the drive line