S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need some advice on my clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on my clutch.

Hi everyone! My clutch is failing on my 2001 audi s4. I need to replace it and the shop said 2580$

It seems like that should be way to much? is there a way i can buy my own parts or cross check the parts they are telling me i need? Also since the car is completly stock are there any cool upgrades i can get while they are taking this thing apart lol! I heard on another thread that they were thinking about replacing with an RS4 clutch. What does that do? im a total mechanical noob but i love my audi thanks for any help or any links to help. also I live in olympia Wa if anyone is familiar with the area! thanks a MILLION!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TjEisenman
Hi everyone! My clutch is failing on my 2001 audi s4. I need to replace it and the shop said 2580$

It seems like that should be way to much? is there a way i can buy my own parts or cross check the parts they are telling me i need? Also since the car is completly stock are there any cool upgrades i can get while they are taking this thing apart lol! I heard on another thread that they were thinking about replacing with an RS4 clutch. What does that do? im a total mechanical noob but i love my audi thanks for any help or any links to help. also I live in olympia Wa if anyone is familiar with the area! thanks a MILLION!
My guess is that most of that will be labor costs. Clutch swaps are almost always a bummer, regardless of the car. You could get upgrade the clutch material and pressure plate and also swap the stock flywheel for a lightweight one. If you want to check parts prices just look through the online stores like ecs-tuning.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! I was looking at the different clutch kits, I have no idea If i should go OEM or one of the stages... How much of a difference will it make besides the price? Is it worth it? and which "stage" is the best? Ohhh and damnnnnn These are expensive!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor

If your car is mostly stock, a stock replacement clutch would be the way to go. It'll feel great, grab well, and last a long time.

If your car is modified, or you plan to modify it, then look to upgrade the clutch to something that will hold the power.

We've got a lot of options available, feel free to give us a call or email, and we'd be happy to lend a hand.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So looking up the options on ecs tuning It seems i can get

1)Stage 1 kit with flywheel for 949$

2)Stage 3 kit with flywheel for 1310$

3)OEM kit and fly wheel separately for a little over 1K

4)Another option would be going with brand VAST performance for their clutches. I havnt heard anything about these guys so any imput would be great!

So it looks to be about the same price for OEM vs stage 1. If i want to upgrade some power into my S4 later when my pocket book can afford it is it better to get stage 1-3 now? also will stage one be enought for what im wanting to accoplish? If there is a link to what the different stages are I would love to look at it.

Anyway feedback VERY welcome. You guys think its worth the money?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can get away with using a OEM clutch on a chip tuned car but you can also get the stage 1 upgrade, it's really up to you. If you ever upgrade the turbos you'll want to upgrade the clutch at that time. Since you'll need to pull the motor to install the turbos there's no reason to install a stage 2-3 clutch now.

I can vouch for VAST. I have their RS6 kit, stage 3 clutch, forged rods and on and on. They've always been very helpful and have never given me crappy advice.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, ive decided on the stage 1 clutch kit with fly wheel from ECS tuning I hope it will suffice? has anyone here ever gotten it?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

That should be fine, unless you race.

I have the Stage 3, but I put in some occasional track time.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm running a vast stg IV, I'd say if you upgrade, mightaswell give your self a little buffer room for engine growth, if your stock and plan to stay stock maybe chip ect, like stg 2 tops, I'd go rs4 pressure plate and clutch with a flywheel, lightweight flywheels tend to chatter so I avoid them, the refinished dual mass stiock ones seem fine, and damn on that labor glad I did mine, but as you said you have no idea where to start it's nuts and bolts work and can be done in driveway, you can always shop backyard mechanics at car meets
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by twv5004
lightweight flywheels tend to chatter, so I avoid them
Right.
I don't use them either.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on my clutch.