S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New S4 Owner Introduction from South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S4 Owner Introduction from South Florida

Not sure if this is in the wrong place or not..."Member Introductions" area was set to Private and there were no posts??

Hey guys, my name is Kevin and I am from South Florida. I have always loved the B5 Audi and finally came across an S4 that I could afford. It is a 2001 Nogaro blue with Alcantara interior. It's an automatic with 52k miles. It's super clean inside and out.

The original turbos blew and were recently replaced by a shop less than 1k miles ago (came off another 10k-11k mile Audi), along with a "full service" that was done to the car. The mechanic said that the car has a GIAC chip and that it "overworked" the small K03s which is why they blew. He said that unless I upgrade the turbos I should switch back to a factory ECU.

The only other mods on the car are an intake, and the mechanic said he *thinks* it may have aftermarket downpipes but he could not remember to confirm that for sure. I think I got a good deal on the car, and am excited to pick it up!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like you got a great buy! Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about the chip hurting the "New" turbos. Just know that you have a high performance vehicle that will require greater attention to its health and maintenance. If your chip has the delimiter option, you can go well past the factory rev cut-off. If so, you should still keep your revs below 6500 for many reasons - KO3 turbos only being one reason.

I'd check into getting better diverter valves, if they aren't already installed by the previous owner - most owners do that mod first. It should be pretty obvious if you have an aftemarket exhaust. There are many great tips for keeping your car in top shape. Just search the forum.

Here's my first tip: Always let your turbos cool down after a hard run before turning off the ignition - especially in the summer. My rule of thumb would be to park the car with the engine running and then open the driver's door. The door ajar "ding" will sound off for a minute or so and then stop. That was an easy guideline to use before I turned off the engine. And keep up with your synthetic oil changes!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2000ImolaS4
Here's my first tip: Always let your turbos cool down after a hard run before turning off the ignition - especially in the summer. My rule of thumb would be to park the car with the engine running and then open the driver's door. The door ajar "ding" will sound off for a minute or so and then stop. That was an easy guideline to use before I turned off the engine. And keep up with your synthetic oil changes!
Wow, thanks a lot for that tip...seems like an easy way of remembering!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

K03 turbos are notorious for failing. I would keep money in the bank for a future turbo replacement, at least. The GIAC chip does work the turbos harder than they were designed to and you will find many people that argue any chip will contribute to the turbos failing sooner than later.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

K03's are notorious for failing when they're abused.

Another rule of thumb is to make sure your oil temp needle "moves" (meaning the oil is circulating fairly well in the engine) before going out and driving like an 18 year old.

Welcome!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hodan
K03's are notorious for failing when they're abused.

Another rule of thumb is to make sure your oil temp needle "moves" (meaning the oil is circulating fairly well in the engine) before going out and driving like an 18 year old.

Welcome!
Lol will do! I think I am supposed to pick the car up tomorrow so I am excited!