S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 invoice pricing... Sorry it's late (last day of month - very busy day in car biz)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-1999, 05:53 PM
mpm

Not to sound greedy, but do we have any room to neogtiate?
Old 08-31-1999, 06:29 PM
bjh

Default Comparison to A4 margin and price negotiation (more)

According to carpoint, the margin for the '99 A4 line runs from 12.33% for the 1.8T to 12.96% for the 2.8Q. What have been peoples experince in negotiating within this range?
Old 08-31-1999, 06:38 PM
Steve S.

Default On A4s...or S4s?

On A4s....people have, in the past two years, been able to get anywhere from MSRP (Boulder CO) to 3.5% over invoice (various places). I still think that for an A4...that 5% over invoice is a win-win solution for all concerned.

For an S4, I think there is not much information available....I believe some people have been able to get $500...possibly $1,000 off MSRP (Bellvia Audi in NYC)...but most (90-%) are being sold at MSRP now. When you take into consideration the lower than expected base price...I think the demand will increase and thus keep the price up. There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule so just use these as guidelines. It is all supply and demand.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
00 S4 (dec/jan?)
Old 08-31-1999, 06:52 PM
mpm

Default Jon another question, my dealer experience has been good (including an early TT test drive) but...

today I got the 'ole good news/bad news. "Your car was built, but they included the NAV and CD changer, sorry...would you like to pass on this car and wait another month or so, for the next one the way you wanted?"

He was appropriately apologetic, but it sounds like a lot of cars are coming in with the NAV. Can I insist on them taking out the CD changer?
Old 08-31-1999, 08:07 PM
Mo' Money

Default 12% margin is not excessive, but it's not cheap either

Well, seeing as how most of the pre sold cars didn't take much work to sell and won't sit on the lot at all I'd say a $4000+ profit isn't exactly paltry.

The S4 isn't the TT, there's no "art" involved here, it's essentially a conservative looking 4 door sedan with a lot of horsepower. Sorry, it 's an attractive car, but it's not a head turner.

Right now dealers are getting MSRP because the people who want them, really want them. I have several friends who paid MSRP for the VW Beetle when it first came out too.

Until this car has been out for awhile no one knows how sucessful it'll be (although I bet Audi can make some predictions based on pre-orders and European markets). Dealers insisting on MSRP are either betting the car is going to be very popular and/or betting that "early adopters" are willing to pay a premium to get one sooner rather than later.

Myself, I'd probably buy one in a heartbeat at $1000 under MSRP, but my local dealer doesn't currently think $3000 profit is enough. For his sake, I hope they sell out, because if the price drops I know who I'm not buying it from. Not that he's going to miss a meal regardless.
Old 09-01-1999, 02:56 AM
Jim De Arras

Default If you can't afford the car, don't whine over the price!

Why focus on the dealer margin? What about the AOA margin? The base profit VAG makes?

Supply and demand will always decide the price, if no one buys it at the current price, it will come down. If they sell all they can make at MSRP (or +), don't expect to pay less!
Old 09-01-1999, 04:35 AM
GuyT

You don't know when you have it good. MY UK S4 with leather Bose etc was $65000. Your prices are low
Old 09-01-1999, 05:05 AM
bjh

Default Re: On A4s...or S4s?

I wonder if the relative production volume of the A4 vs. the S4 would be a basis for targeting a negotiating range? I vaguely remember reading somewhere (on this board?) a figure of 1900-2000 S4s slated for export to the US for MY '00. Do you know the comparable figure for the A4s? Maybe Jon Schafer could you fill us in?

Bill

00' S4
Nogaro blue/silver leather
due end Sept?
Old 09-01-1999, 05:25 AM
Steve S.

Default If I could only remember the AoA press release...it said how many A4 were sold in 1998

We could extrapolate to 1999 numbers...and then 2000 numbers...I am going to venture a quess and say about 25,000 - 30,000 A4s will be sold. How I got that number was:

Est A4 cars sold per month per dealer: 12
Months in a year: 12
Est Number of Audi Dealers: 2000

Estimate of total A4 sold per year in the US: 28,800

I could be way off on this...but this might be a place to start.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-01-1999, 06:40 AM
Scott W

More importantly, how much is your RS4 & when will you send me your brochure? ;-)

Quick Reply: S4 invoice pricing... Sorry it's late (last day of month - very busy day in car biz)