S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Shifter S4 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-1999, 09:15 PM
Scot Kight

Default Shifter S4 vs A4

Has anyone here actually been in the S4? I am just looking for some "feel" type information. The shifters in the A4's are extremely vague and long throw, to me at least. The clutch is also definitely not what I would call sport.

I am guessing that the s4 is much more raw and visceral, but thats just a guess. Part of the reason I like driving at all is the feel and the character of the car. The s4 looks like it has a ton of character, but I am trying to make sure it has the RIGHT character.

Suspension and other feelings anyone wants to share would also be welcome.
Old 09-14-1999, 01:34 AM
Warren Wang

Default Don't count on "raw and visercal"

I haven't been in one yet (mine arrives near Thanksgiving), but I would hazard a guess that it's very similar to a 2.8Q in handling and general feel. Audi doesn't really do the raw and visceral thing, with maybe the exception of the Ur-Quattros. If you're looking for something like that, you'd best go look at an M Coupe or Z3 Coupe. Both of those are very fine machines.

Warren
2.8QMS
S4 on order
Old 09-14-1999, 04:52 AM
Scot Kight

Default Re: Don't count on "raw and visercal"

From what the dealer said, the car is very smooth, and not terribly visceral, but the power is. Also the ride and suspension is much more stiff and usable then the 2.8.

The only thing I am worried about at this point is the shifter. While it seems like a small problem, its part of the connection to the road and a very important feel part to me. The shifter in the 2.8 is very vague and very long throw. On a track I would find the shifter very difficult to use optimally. Since the s4 is more geared towards track driving, I would figure its a tighter setup.

If not, I will definitely need to find a short shifter kit.
Old 09-14-1999, 05:22 AM
Steve S.

Default I drove a new S4 for a short distance

From what I felt...it seemed to be very similar in the clutch area to my existing A4. I must add that I didn't get to drive it much. I rode in it right after driving it...and my chauffeur (sp?) didn't mention anything about the clutch being different. I have driven a new M3 before, the S4 clutch is NOTHING like it. That being said, I see no difficulties shifting while on track. I take my A4 on track frequently, and I am fine with it as is. I don't think the A4 or S4 needs a short shift kit...but then, what the hell do I know. :-)

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
00 S4 (dec/jan?)
Old 09-14-1999, 05:41 AM
AvramD

Default There are lots of tests in the form over the last week. Here are some recaps...

more precise. One guy said that throws were nice and short "up" but longer than he wanted "down."

In general, many have compared the 6-speed trans to Audi's 5-speeds, and said "finally, a nice shifter from Audi."

As for the rest of the car, the message everyone is sending out is "refined performance." A couple people's response to the flat torque curve is that you only *feel* it right at the beginning, and then it doesn't seem exciting b/c it's not building anymore, even you you're on your way to a sub 6-second 0-60 time.

Ironically, I consider this *right* in character with quattro - it takes a certain level of maturity (IMHO) to appreciate quattro when you're *not* stuck. Audi's aren't about "swinging the tail out". As a kid, I loved RWD cars b/c I liked stearing w/ the rear wheels - a nice big controlled fishtail.

W/ quattro, what you get when you stomp on the gas during a slippery corner is *nothing* - i.e. the car just tracks through the corner faster. The kid in me frowns at the lack of blatant excitement. But the adult in me gets a big grin and says "Wow - almost no other car on the road could have pulled that off!"

Then we find parking lots, lock our differentials, and act like kids 8-)
Old 09-14-1999, 05:49 AM
mpm

Totally agree, after 20 miles in a TT, I'm jones'en for that notchy hefty, but prepare for "silky"
Old 09-14-1999, 08:59 AM
Todd W

Default No shifter mods specific to last S4, that I know of.

Get a TT quattro if you want a shifter. From historical precedent and what I have heard about the new S4 so far, I would expect it to pull in any gear but not be focused on shifting. You can't heel&toe very well with the pedals, so why would they have tweaked the shifter? I would fix the pedals first.

Todd W
Old 09-14-1999, 12:30 PM
First Time TAG

Default Re: No shifter mods specific to last S4, that I know of.

The C&D artical states that the pedals are set up for heal&toe. Were they mistake or did I read it wrong?
Old 09-14-1999, 12:54 PM
Todd W

Hmmm, hadn't heard that. Wait and see I guess. A4 sure isn't very good for that
Old 09-14-1999, 01:26 PM
Scott W

You know you need an S4! What else matters?!?! :-)