S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Spirited snow driving = new noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spirited snow driving = new noise

Like the title states, I was driving a little too fast in the snow last night, and slid into a curb at around 10-15 mph. I made contact with the curb at the front left tire, but luckily, no curb rash.

However, after the hit, my fan blower motor is now making a high pitched noise that doesn't stop. I've heard of the fan making this noise while making left turns, but mine is now making it all the time. I haven't taken it out of the car yet to inspect and oil the bearings, but I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else? If so, did you have to replace the motor?

I learned my lesson for the most part... I need to get A/S or winter tires before I try that turn again.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm having trouble figuring out how the two are related. Did the impact jar the car pretty hard?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donromani
Did the impact jar the car pretty hard?
I didn't think so, but the sound was not there before the hit, so it must have. The snow softened the blow a little, but the tire made direct contact with the curb.

I'm going to inspect the axle as soon as I can get it into a garage and out of the snow so I can make sure I didn't damage anything there. The car needs an alignment anyway, so that will be next on the list as soon as I get some new tires. Is there anything else I should inspect?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BRSFour
I didn't think so, but the sound was not there before the hit, so it must have. The snow softened the blow a little, but the tire made direct contact with the curb.

I'm going to inspect the axle as soon as I can get it into a garage and out of the snow so I can make sure I didn't damage anything there. The car needs an alignment anyway, so that will be next on the list as soon as I get some new tires. Is there anything else I should inspect?
I would be most concerned with the control arms being bent - also check your tie rods.

Does the sound occur at idle as well? If it only happens while driving then my bet is something wheel/suspension related. If it happens while idling at full-stop then maybe you did knock a bearing loose on the fan or something like that. Check the whole serp belt and all the pulleys and accessories to make sure it is all aligned.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drop the glove box and take the fan out. See if the noise goes away and if everything is alright. Should take about 10 minutes. It's possible it was just loose and got knocked off center.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will be sure to check all of the steering and suspension components, as well as the left axle.

However, I'm positive the sound is coming from the fan blower motor. The sound stops when I turn the heating off, and gets progressively louder when I turn the fan up.

Thanks for all of the quick replies.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

that'll be it then. That thing is a bit of a bugger.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Went by the shop later today. Found that the lower rear control arm on the driver side is bent. So now I get to do a laundry list of things to that front corner: new tie rod end, CV boot, and now the control arm. It's going to be an exciting winter break.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know the mileage, but might as well change all the control arms if the mileage is high.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been reading a bit on control arm upgrades anyhow. Does anyone have any experience with the 034 control arm set? Or the Avalon upgrade?

Quick Reply: Spirited snow driving = new noise