S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Sticky Buttons on Heating/Cooling?- Can anybody tell me how I can clean the buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Buttons on Heating/Cooling?- Can anybody tell me how I can clean the buttons?

Rubbing Acholol, Windex, anything? Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2003, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They make special cleaning products for electrical switches....

...I'd try to locate some at Radio Shack. Quick Google search shows that CRC makes a "SWITCH CLEANER LUBRICANT" product:

<i>Specially formulated to provide the single operation of both cleaning and lubricating sensitive switches and contacts. The special solvents in CRC Switch Cleaner Lubricant can chemically dissolve and quickly clean away oil, grease, dust and atmospheric contaminants, then evaporate to leave a thin film that will protect and lubricate.</i>
Old 01-31-2003, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Endust for Electronics. Get it at an office supply store.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Will that really help a sticky switch?

From a quick Google search, it looks like that product is designed to clean the exterior of electronic products. I'm sure it's safe to use on the radio, but it really only sounds like it's designed to clean the exterior, not switches:

<i>ENDUST FOR ELECTRONICS 12/8 OZ--
An antistatic cleaning and dusting spray. Safely cleans external housing on all types of electronic equipment.
Cleaning &amp; Dusting Aerosol Spray for Electronics
Prolong the life of your PCs, VCRs, televisions, stereos and all other valuable electronic equipment. Oil- and wax-free, antistatic spray removes dust and lint.</i>

Whereas a product like Misty Contact &amp; Circuit Board Cleaner II is described as:

<i>Cleans oil, grease, dirt, condensation and moisture from circuit boards, precision instruments, oxygen equipment, controls, switches, motors and film. Fast-drying, nonflammable, residue-free reformulation. Safe for most plastics. USDA Classification K2</i>
Old 01-31-2003, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good point on internal/external use, but another important question is why sticky? M

as this will also come into play as to whether the product selected will work.

I have the same problem (sticky heating/cooling buttons) because my son spilled some orange drink from a cup in the cupholder. The cleaning products Andy lists may not work on sugar based problems (although trying them should not hurt the electronics).

I'll post my results after cleaning, but don't hold your breath. Still cold in SE PA, and doing this outside (pulling radio and then the climate unit) is not appealing. :-(
Old 01-31-2003, 11:01 AM
zon

Default sticky because of soda, i had same problem.. i did this..

wait till it gets really really really cold and you know for sure that even molass&lt;sp?&gt; would freeze (last week was a good time) and leave your car out side let it freeze.

then go press the button it should click and crack, cuz you are actually breaking the "ice" that all the sugar or what have you formed on the inside, and just keep on doing it until it clears up... took me quite a few presses, but now it is 99% perfect.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:41 AM

CRC Electronics cleaner... works very well.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sticky Buttons on Heating and Cooling

Originally Posted by Andy Hedin
...I'd try to locate some at Radio Shack. Quick Google search shows that CRC makes a "SWITCH CLEANER LUBRICANT" product:

<i>Specially formulated to provide the single operation of both cleaning and lubricating sensitive switches and contacts. The special solvents in CRC Switch Cleaner Lubricant can chemically dissolve and quickly clean away oil, grease, dust and atmospheric contaminants, then evaporate to leave a thin film that will protect and lubricate.</i>
Just purchased some CRC Switch Cleaner Lubricant and it worked almost immediately to free up the stuck defroster button I've been living with for almost a month. Good stuff!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Take the assembly out of the car

Take the torx screws off the back and get the face plate off. Let the faceplate sit in warm water for like 10 minutes and let it dry out over night. There is a diy somewhere.