S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Thinking about losing the M3 for and S4, any educated opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-1999, 02:09 PM
Richard Fogg

Default Re: Thinking about losing the M3 for and S4, any educated opinions

I too have an S4 sitting in Houston (aargh!) and I am in the process of selling my 1997 M3 Coupe. Living near Denver really made the decision easy for me, but at sea level in a warmer climate I might have to flip a coin. While I found the M3 acceptable in the snow with Pirelli 210s we have had a couple of mild winters. Having owned five previous Quattros I know what they are capable of in really nasty stuff. Up here a well designed turbo motor doesn't lose quite as much power as a normally aspirated engine will, which is another plus for the Audi over the BMW. I'm also looking forward to a deeper top gear, something the BMW could certainly use.
These two cars clearly represent the best of the best in a small sport sedan and I don't see how a person could go wrong with either one. Sure do like that Quattro though.......
Old 08-27-1999, 04:00 PM
KJK

Default Re: Thinking about losing the M3 for and S4, any educated opinions

Mike, first of all, what are you into the M3 for? Would you have to eat tons of $$$ to trade it in or buy out a lease? All the guys below should have asked that question first.

I would wait a while and see if you can get a test drive. The strengths and weaknesses of both cars really make the right decision dependent on the type of driver you are, where you live, etc. The M3 won hands down in dry handling, fun to drive type of category. The S4 only beat the 7 year old M3 platform because of amenities and everyday driving considerations. Again, it is just a matter of your priorities, not everybody elses.

Plus, most of the guys here are going to lower, stiffen and modify anything they buy anyway--you all know you will. So both cars will fly and the driver will determine the winner.

KJK 91 M5-stiff, loud and fun as hell.
Old 08-27-1999, 04:24 PM
mpm

Default where did Mike say he had to get out of a lease? I was assuming he owns the car, and...

would agree on the location thing. Florida, SoCal, oArizona, other dry places have fun with the M3. But, here in the east fagetaboutit.

Oh,by the by KJK, I'm planning on driving mine the way the guys in Inglostadt built it - no mods for me (well at least during warentee).
Old 08-27-1999, 11:50 PM
gary charlton

Default Had M3 , just sold a '98 S4 - the choice? (long)

Richard,

These are both great cars with great chassis and towering engines.

Personally I preferred the S4 for the following reasons:
PRACTICALITY
S4 is cheaper; Build quality much better than BMW; servicing cheaper; low key image gives great element of surprise; less attention from the law and vandals; the ride is softer than M3 (but still sporty)so your friends don't lose their teeth

PERFORMANCE
S4 is as quick if not quicker than M3 in everyday motoring; superior torque and traction of biturbo/quattro combo always give you those important first few yards for passing - M3 always trails here unless you drive with at least 4000rpm dialled in; brake performance and stability is strong and consistent under all conditions.

Where does the M3 excel?
PRACTICALITY
M3 is more common so parts should be more available (I had to wait for 8 weeks for a new front air dam in uk for S4).

PERFORMANCE
the 3.2 engine is a masterpiece for throttle response and ultimate top end power; the gearchange is more precise; the steering is more sensitive.

Overall, in my view as an 'OK' but not 'A1' driver, the M3 is best for 10/10ths driving on the edge where it is ulimately faster. In the majority of driving situations where you want to make quick progress without a nervous breakdown, S$ is supreme. My cross country journey times in rural UK were quicker and less stressful in S4 than in M3. For shorter sprints with 100% concentration, on a well-known route, with no rain, the M3 will be your choice.

In real situations on real roads, these cars are unseparable unless that is you drive like a maniac. Get it wrong in either car and you are going to be going fast and have a 'big one'. S4 definately has the advantage for margin of safety for the average driver.

What did I sell S4 for? Just done first 1200 miles in TT225Q (not fast enough, but fun anyway)
My name is down for the first RHD RS4. NOW THAT WILL BE GOOD.
Old 08-28-1999, 01:55 AM
Mike Zamarocy

Default YOU SOD!!!!! Re: Lotus Elise Sport 190

The ONLY way we can get an Elise here in the States is if we pay $50K for a RACE TRACK ONLY version! They had one at the Los Angeles Auto Show - AWESOME car!

And they shown one racing at the Nurburgring 24HR race on Speedvision a few weeks ago. But sadly, the shot they had of the car was when it caught on fire
Old 08-29-1999, 12:54 AM
Warren Wang

Default I saw one at Summit Point (more)

This is one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever laid eyes upon. It was indeed the 190 race spec Elise. Unfortunately he was having problems with the tires rubbing, so he didn't get too many laps in.

Pictures don't do this car justice.

Warren
Old 08-29-1999, 01:47 PM
Bill Driegert

Default An aside on 4-doors....why they are actually BETTER for performance

Most people don't realise this...but 4-doors are generally more rigid than 2-doors built on the same platform...

The reason...shorter unspanned spaces....one more interesting truth that works against intuition...