S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

weights, revisited...(long)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-1999, 01:51 PM
robfox

Default weights, revisited...(long)...

From the archives here, it looks as though AoA put out some specs which listed stats on weights and 0-60, 1/4 mile times, etc. They have the exact same numbers in these categories for both the A6 2.7T and the S4.

On the www.audi.de site, the weight of the S4 is listed at 1510 kg = 3322 lbs. People say that is the "Euro Spec" S4, but what other equipment does ours have?

The weight of the A4 2.8QMS is about 3250 lbs. Everybody says that the S4 has "turbos and pipes" but they cannot account for 300 lbs, in fact 70 lbs sounds about right.

Car and Driver does not weigh the cars it gets, it uses numbers given from the manufacturer/importer. My guess is they used the A6 2.7T numbers because of AoA's mistake.

Someone on this board disagreed with me, stating, again, that the Euro spec S4 was 3322 lbs, and that if the N. American S4 weighed only this much, with its broad torque band, it would have been in the 5.3's for 0-60 times. THIS MAKES NO SENSE! If the Euro spec weighs less AND has more power, then why is it only at 5.4 secs!!!!

If anyone at Monterey has the time, look at the darn door sill sticker!!!

Sorry for the rant. I could be wrong, but my S4 will be quite a pig if it weighed 3618 lbs!

-rob

Follow the link here to Corey S.'s post, where AoA published a mistake:<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/bbs/a4/9934/messages/1336.shtml">S4 weight = A6 2.7T weight?</a></li></ul>
Old 08-28-1999, 02:04 PM
Another Drew

How about the additional weight if any of the 6-speed tranny?
Old 08-28-1999, 04:21 PM
Scott D.

Default If the salesman training guide is to be believed, there are 8 airbags...

that would add some more weight too (especially all the air needed to inflate the bags ;-)
Old 08-28-1999, 04:26 PM
gbw

Default Re: weights, revisited...(long)...

I have the European brochures right her ein my lap. (Looking like I will be purchasing a S4 here in France in the coming weeks. Don't bitch too much about pricing over there, you should deal with the prices over there...I might even give up any horsepower advantages for your pricing.)

Here is the skinny-

Weight: 1510 kg (As you have)
Power: 365Hp
Acceleration(0-100Km/h(62mph)): 5.6sec
Top Speed: 250Km/h

Might not be what you wanted, but thought I would provide any help I could.

Reagrds,
Old 08-28-1999, 04:34 PM
gbw

The 6 speed is in Europe also.
Old 08-28-1999, 06:51 PM
Peter K

Default Re: If the salesman training guide is to be believed, there are 8 airbags...

The EU Version also has 8 airbags (although 2 of the are optional (audi.de)
Old 08-28-1999, 10:39 PM
robfox

Thanks, and I assume that was *2*65 hp, not 365! :-)
Old 08-29-1999, 02:19 AM
gbw

Correct....man was it late!
Old 08-29-1999, 05:13 AM
KLHI

Default not really, but other things add weight (more).

Aitbags are not inflated with, as you seem to think, compressed air. In fact, a small explosive is detonated behind the airbag which inflates it. In any event, gas doesn't weight much at all. Consider this, all the air above sea level in a 1 inch square weights just 14.7 pounds.

Abbout the number of airbags, I count just six (front passenger - 1, front driver - 2, side driver - 3, side passenger - 4, starboard SIDEGUARD - 5, port SIDEGUARD - 6), but there are a couple explanations:

1) Audi could offer rear side airbags on the S4, as in the A8 and (I think) the A6. The two extra airbags thereof would account for the 8.
2) SIDEGUARD, for all we know, could actually be four independent airbags (two on each side - as opposed to one).

KLHI
klhi@ibm.net
99.0 2.8QM Melange/Onyx Cloth
Old 08-29-1999, 05:17 AM
KLHI

Default not really, but other things add weight (more). BTW, disregard last post by me

Aitbags are not inflated with, as you seem to think, compressed air. In fact, a small explosive is detonated behind the airbag which inflates it. In any event, gas doesn't weight much at all. Consider this, all the air above sea level in a 1 inch square weights just 14.7 pounds.

Abbout the number of airbags, I count just six (front passenger - 1, front driver - 2, side driver - 3, side passenger - 4, starboard SIDEGUARD - 5, port SIDEGUARD - 6), but there are a couple explanations:

1) Audi could offer rear side airbags on the S4, as in the A8 and (I think) the A6. The two extra airbags thereof would account for the 8.
2) SIDEGUARD, for all we know, could actually be four independent airbags (two on each side - as opposed to one).

Someone did a calucation which confirmed the AoA weight figure. By taking the weight for 2.8MQ and adding plausible values for aFull size spare (17" wheel - might I add), turbos, etc. . .

KLHI
klhi@ibm.net
99.0 2.8QM Melange/Onyx Cloth

Quick Reply: weights, revisited...(long)...