S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2016 Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Sport Package

Just came back from the dealership and am planning on ordering an S6. The Sport Package is $3500. My assumption is that since this wasn't offered last year is that this was simply something that was included in the base cost. If I wanted to get a 2016 S6 built like a 2015 S6, I would have to include the Sports Package, much like you would have to include the Prestige Package (which I'll definitely go for). When I talked to the guy at the dealership, he said that this was something new to the S6s and that it was previously only an option on the RS7. They actually didn't think it made a huge difference unless you were using this car on the track. In short, he thought Quattro was already excellent and that the Sports Package only represented a small improvement.

The exhaust doesn't change the performance of the car (like other aftermarket exhaust systems), it just makes it sound a little more fierce.

I appreciated his candor and not trying to upsell, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion about this package. With most of the builds I've seen people list, it sounds like they're going for the Sports Package.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd like to know this too. I know the sport diff was standard on the 2015 and I know what it does (I have a 2012 s4 that has it). I also understand the sport exhaust but it's not something I personally desire. It's the suspension I'd like to understand better. Is the standard suspension on the 2016 the same as the 2015 standard suspension or was the 2015 suspension basically the sport suspension now included in the sport package? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

The sports differential was standard before; With 2016, the only way to get it is the sports package. That's why the base price is slightly reduced (even when adding the now optional prestige package). I would highly recommend it, despite the steep cost.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amelen
The sports differential was standard before; With 2016, the only way to get it is the sports package. That's why the base price is slightly reduced (even when adding the now optional prestige package). I would highly recommend it, despite the steep cost.
What does the sports differential offer? Based on what I was told today, it sounds like this isn't something that was on the previous S6. This is the main feature I have a question on.

I would honestly love to drive one with the option and one without the option, but I'm guessing that won't be a possibility for 3-4 months at the earliest.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Parkles
What does the sports differential offer? Based on what I was told today, it sounds like this isn't something that was on the previous S6. This is the main feature I have a question on.

I would honestly love to drive one with the option and one without the option, but I'm guessing that won't be a possibility for 3-4 months at the earliest.
It was a standard feature on previous models.

2015 Audi S6 Sport Sedan: quattro® - Price - Specs | Audi USA
And, with its available torque-vectoring sport differential, the S6 sticks to what it does best – delivering unsurpassed cornering performance.
2013 Audi S6 4.0T Prestige (S tronic) Sedan Ratings, Prices, Trims, Summary | J.D. Power
Standard sport suspension, sport brakes, rear sport differential
Additional hardware improvements include a standard sport-tuned adaptive air suspension, sport braking system, and a rear sport differential.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Sports package on the 2016 S6 includes three items:
  1. Sports Exhaust
  2. The Sport Differential (as noted above this was previously standard equipment)
  3. And it also includes Audi Dynamic Steering (or whatever their exact term is, I am going from memory).
I have read every report I can get my hands on from those who have driven the 2016 S6 at it's introduction in Europe. Almost every reviewer has commented on and enjoyed the Sports Exhaust.

The Sport Differential was standard on the previous S6 (and is also a key item most people order on the S4). This is a critical option in my opinion and I wouldn't buy an Audi without it, this feature makes the handling much more responsive and fun.

However I have concerns about the Audi Dynamic Steering and have had trouble finding much information on this. It seems to work similar to BMW's "active steering" which varies the number of turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock based upon vehicle speed.

I don't like the idea of my steering response changing between a slow speed turn and a high speed turn but there is no way to get the Sport Differential on the 2016 without also adding this.

I test drove an Audi A8 with this option before finalzing my order just to make sure I didn't hate the dynamic steering. It was OK in ordinary driving but I hope I don't end up disliking this when driving on my favorite windy roads.

Last edited by NVJeff; 01-17-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am actually hoping the OEM sport exhaust can be retrofitted easily onto my 2014, along with the new rear valance.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My issue is that I don't care about the sport exhaust or dynamic steering at all. Can anyone confirm whether both of these can be turned off through the drive select system? As I mentioned earlier, I have the sport diff in my S4 and I like it and feel it working when cornering hard but in my S4 it was an $1,100 option at the time. Now, since I don't care about the exhaust or steering, it's basically a $3,500 option. To me that's expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it since I don't think the sport diff adds much to the experience for the 99.9% of the time I'm not pushing it that hard in a corner.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GDub11
My issue is that I don't care about the sport exhaust or dynamic steering at all. Can anyone confirm whether both of these can be turned off through the drive select system? As I mentioned earlier, I have the sport diff in my S4 and I like it and feel it working when cornering hard but in my S4 it was an $1,100 option at the time. Now, since I don't care about the exhaust or steering, it's basically a $3,500 option. To me that's expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it since I don't think the sport diff adds much to the experience for the 99.9% of the time I'm not pushing it that hard in a corner.
Isn't that a no brainer for you? Why pay for a package of three options, when you are only interested in two and would disable the other two if possible.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by NVJeff
The Sports package on the 2016 S6 includes three items:
  1. Sports Exhaust
  2. The Sport Differential (as noted above this was previously standard equipment)
  3. And it also includes Audi Dynamic Steering (or whatever their exact term is, I am going from memory).
I have read every report I can get my hands on from those who have driven the 2016 S6 at it's introduction in Europe. Almost every reviewer has commented on and enjoyed the Sports Exhaust.

The Sport Differential was standard on the previous S6 (and is also a key item most people order on the S4). This is a critical option in my opinion and I wouldn't buy an Audi without it, this feature makes the handling much more responsive and fun.

However I have concerns about the Audi Dynamic Steering and have had trouble finding much information on this. It seems to work similar to BMW's "active steering" which varies the number of turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock based upon vehicle speed.

I don't like the idea of my steering response changing between a slow speed turn and a high speed turn but there is no way to get the Sport Differential on the 2016 without also adding this.

I test drove an Audi A8 with this option before finalzing my order just to make sure I didn't hate the dynamic steering. It was OK in ordinary driving but I hope I don't end up disliking this when driving on my favorite windy roads.
The dynamic steering is actually super fun in conjunction with the sport diff. It makes for a livelier, more direct and responsive steering. At the handling limit it works together with the sport diff to further reduce understeer by slightly changing the ratio until the front tires get grip again. I love it in my RS5. Auto mode is great for daily driving. It goes from easy to maneuver at parking lot speeds to tight and stable at highway speeds. Comfort is great for long distance driving. It requires little effort, but it still maintains straight line stability at high speeds thanks to the ratio increase. Dynamic mode is especially for sporty driving. It locks the ratio to a fixed ratio. 14.3:1 in the RS5, not sure what the ratio is in the S6, but dynamic mode is meant to address exactly your concern when you are driving on roads where the speed varies greatly, so you get a consistent steering response.

Quick Reply: 2016 Sport Package