S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Bending S6 wheels...... (seems this isn't the first thread about it)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first winter with my S6 in Virginia = bent rims on 2 occasions. Thankful go insurance but at my current rate I will hit the max payout next year.

The20" do seem to easily bend that is for sure.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 wheels thus far for me... I would've said get forged wheels... but if you're blowing tires out then even forged wheels may not hold up...

In case you're looking for stock 19s I just commented on a post in the classified section. The guy is selling some 19s with blizzacks. He's in Rome, NY (not too far from NYC). Good guy and the wheels looked mint (tires are like new). I happened to buy the intake and exhaust in the post (hence I got a chance to peek at the wheels).

Good Luck and hope you figure out a solution.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I got my S6 CPO, I was going to swap the P Zeros for DWS06's and was told by my tire guy that two of the rims were bent, so back to the dealer, who gave me a loaner, fixed the wheels and put the new Contis on for me. I have 19" Hartmann wheels from my A8 going on for the winter.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

3 bent wheels, one required cosmetic work, and 2 tires replaced, one a non-repairable flat. 19" wheels bent whether I had P zeros on or Michelin Arctic Alpins mounted (2 sets of Audi 19" rims). While all-season tires work, all data I see is that P Zeros stop from 70 mph at least 5 feet shorter. In snow or ice the difference can be 30 ft (see Tire Rack). There is a reason the S6 comes with high performance summer tires and the expectation in cold climates should be the purchase of winter tires.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I've had five 19" wheels straightened in four years on my A6. Unfortunately, in areas where there are winter potholes, it's unavoidable with low profile tires. Here in New England, if you own a car with low profile tires and a sport suspension, the only way to avoid wheel damage is either don't drive it or own an M1A2 Abrams tank.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

How much did you all pay for your wheel and tire insurance? I was told $2000 when I bought my car and I couldn't justify that price. It most likely won't pay back until I damage 4+ wheels.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by vigilan388
How much did you all pay for your wheel and tire insurance? I was told $2000 when I bought my car and I couldn't justify that price. It most likely won't pay back until I damage 4+ wheels.
Follow up to that...How did you get them to cover bent wheels? Most wheel tire only covers if the wheel is bent so bad that the tire does not hold air....which is a little more uncommon.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vigilan388
I negotiated down from $2000 to around $1600. With the price of OEM tires and wheels I think its a smart move. In my case I think it has paid for itself already.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Besides obvious visual damage, how can you tell if the 20's are bent? I've hit some big potholes in ATL, no obvious issues, except disappointing mileage around town. I have 20 inch black optic wheel on 2015 S6. Had one P Zero replaced due to impact flat. Dealer also told me there was an incident limit on Allstate wheel and tire package, I think they said six? can't find it in fine print in Allstate paperwork, anyone else know?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gtsl55
Besides obvious visual damage, how can you tell if the 20's are bent? I've hit some big potholes in ATL, no obvious issues, except disappointing mileage around town. I have 20 inch black optic wheel on 2015 S6. Had one P Zero replaced due to impact flat. Dealer also told me there was an incident limit on Allstate wheel and tire package, I think they said six? can't find it in fine print in Allstate paperwork, anyone else know?
It is visually evident when they put it up on the lift and run the motor at idle. I also noticed certain vibrations when cruising on the highway at specific speeds (that would vary over time)

As for policy specifics, I think the various programs are different so you need to refer to the fine print.

Quick Reply: Bending S6 wheels...... (seems this isn't the first thread about it)