S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Boost gauge available on S6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost gauge available on S6?

Hi - I would like to be able to monitor S6 boost performance and was wondering if anyone knows if this feature is built in. I've done a search and see a few folks adding their own after market boost gauges, but I've also seen a few posts (but quite dated) on a boost gauge being available in the S6 DIS. However, I believe it required a Vag-Com tweak to make the boost meter appear. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Vag-Com set-up needed for this.

Has anyone added a boost meter to the DIS via Vag-com?

My my16 S6 has an ETA of Aug.4 - so just prepping a bit for it's arrival.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Hi - I would like to be able to monitor S6 boost performance and was wondering if anyone knows if this feature is built in. I've done a search and see a few folks adding their own after market boost gauges, but I've also seen a few posts (but quite dated) on a boost gauge being available in the S6 DIS. However, I believe it required a Vag-Com tweak to make the boost meter appear. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Vag-Com set-up needed for this.

Has anyone added a boost meter to the DIS via Vag-com?

My my16 S6 has an ETA of Aug.4 - so just prepping a bit for it's arrival.

Thanks.
I added the boost meter just a few days ago to my 2016. It's very easy via VCDS.

Do the enable lap timer mod and you are good to go.

Here is the list of collected VCDS mods you can do.

C7 A6/A7 & S6/S& VAG COM list and help - Page 11
Old 06-14-2015, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
I added the boost meter just a few days ago to my 2016. It's very easy via VCDS.

Do the enable lap timer mod and you are good to go.

Here is the list of collected VCDS mods you can do.

C7 A6/A7 & S6/S& VAG COM list and help - Page 11
Excellent! Thanks for the info - I didn't know the boost meter was part of the lap timer mod.

When you enabled your boost meter did the display show on the HUD or the DIS?
Old 06-14-2015, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Excellent! Thanks for the info - I didn't know the boost meter was part of the lap timer mod.

When you enabled your boost meter did the display show on the HUD or the DIS?
The boost only shows up on the DIS when in 'lap timer' mode. It becomes one of the modes along with 'efficiency mode' etc.

The best add to the HUD is the oil temp when in lap timer mode.

This is a great mod. I love knowing what the turbos are doing. I can see a little bit of boost when in 4 cylinder mode when going up a slight hill on the highway. Pretty cool.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Calling it a boost meter is stretching things a bit. It's a vertical bar and there's no scale. The top could be 8PSI or it could be 20PSI, who knows.

If you want to know more about what's going on with your car I'd suggest a OBD-II adapter (WiFi for iPhone, BT for Android) and an app on your phone, or if you've got it, VCDS and a laptop.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Calling it a boost meter is stretching things a bit. It's a vertical bar and there's no scale. The top could be 8PSI or it could be 20PSI, who knows.

If you want to know more about what's going on with your car I'd suggest a OBD-II adapter (WiFi for iPhone, BT for Android) and an app on your phone, or if you've got it, VCDS and a laptop.
At this point, I'm more interested in the relative change in boost pressure only, just to get a better feel for when the turbo kicks in, so the basic metering should be fine.

I wasn't aware there was an Android VCDS app, I can see where that would be useful as it's more mobile than a laptop when trying to diagnose a problem. I bought my Vag-com cable from Ross-Tech, so thought they'd have the BT interface as well - but couldn't find it on their site. I've e-mailed them for the info.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At this point, I'm more interested in the relative change in boost pressure only, just to get a better feel for when the turbo kicks in, so the basic metering should be fine.

I wasn't aware there was an Android VCDS app, I can see where that would be useful as it's more mobile than a laptop when trying to diagnose a problem. I bought my Vag-com cable from Ross-Tech, so thought they'd have the BT interface as well - but couldn't find it on their site. I've e-mailed them for the info.

Thanks!
Ross-Tech has a really expensive version of their adapter where everything is done through a web interface on your laptop, tablet, or phone, but that wasn't what I was talking about.

If you're just data logging then a $20 adapter & Torque Pro for $5 will do just fine. Springing for a better adapter, like an ODBLink product, will get you better software with a faster data refresh rate.

App - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque
Cheap Adapter -
Amazon.com : iKKEGOL Vgate iCar 2 Mini OBD2 II Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner Torque Android(White+Blue) : Car Electronics Amazon.com : iKKEGOL Vgate iCar 2 Mini OBD2 II Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner Torque Android(White+Blue) : Car Electronics

OR

Good Adapter w/ Software -
Amazon.com: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows: Automotive Amazon.com: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows: Automotive