S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Broken RH door mirror...sigh.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken RH door mirror...sigh.

My lack of patience caught up to me earlier this week. I was on my way home from work, humming along on the back road I travel for about 15 miles of my 36 mile commute, and I found myself behind a line of cars following a combine harvester going 10-15 mph. Most of the cars got around him, but oncoming traffic, hills, and curves prevented the F-150 in front of me and me from executing a pass on double yellows. I was behind the guy for almost five minutes and it was killing me (45 speed limit, I usually go about 53).

Finally I see the road open up. I have a clear view of the road ahead and there are no oncoming cars and no curves. I mash the gas and, too late to realize, there's a small bridge crossing a creek where the road narrows. He can't ride the shoulder there because there is no shoulder, so he's into my side. I slam on the brakes but hear a smack as he hits my mirror.

Neither of us stopped - I am sure I didn't damage his vehicle, and figured I was probably in the wrong, so I just said quiet prayers the rest of the way home that it was only a mirror and no body damage.

My prayers were answered, but when I started removing broken parts (figuring I'd at least buy the major parts myself and have someone competent install them for me, and not pay list price through the dealer) I realized it was going to be an expensive mistake.

The aluminum mirror cap is really plastic. Mine showed zero external damage but the clips inside were all broken. $299 plus shipping on eBay for a pair (that was cheaper than buying one from AudiUSAParts). Mirror glass $398.04 (heated/dimming). Mirror mechanism $546.84. All told I have $1,276.43 in parts.

While I wait for my parts to arrive, I stuck my GoPro inside the car, facing out slightly to aim roughly where the mirror would go, then use the wifi GoPro app on an older iPhone to show what's lurking on the right side of the car. Kind of a fun hack, but I do miss my mirror.

Drive safely out there!

Last edited by 69Firebird400; 10-29-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch... you seem to be having a bad rash of luck this year! Just moved into Conshy and still getting used to all the tiny, hilly PA roads haha

If you ever see a random Estoril S6 w/ Jersey plates driving well below the speed limits, take pity and assume that I am lost
Old 10-30-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gee2dasahn
Ouch... you seem to be having a bad rash of luck this year! Just moved into Conshy and still getting used to all the tiny, hilly PA roads haha

If you ever see a random Estoril S6 w/ Jersey plates driving well below the speed limits, take pity and assume that I am lost
LOL - yes, I'm beginning to think this car is bad luck. I still love it, though!

If I saw another S6 in Estoril Blue my head might explode. They're so uncommon to see, and I don't think I've ever seen my color in the wild. Today I went to Philly for a meeting and saw a black on in the parking garage beneath 3 Logan Square, which made me smile (and jealous for his mirror).
Old 11-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know there is a white one cruising around Old City (I got spanked in my TSX). Last week was some kind of anomaly; on my way to work I happened to see 1S8, 4 C6 V10's, 2 B8.5 V6Ts, and 1 C7 V8T (other than mine). Needless to say that I was blubbering about it like an idiot all day.

FYI, nice taste! I think we both have the Estoril with the Lunar Silver interior. Mine is a fright/embarrassment and in serious need of detailing. I blame it on non-existent kids lol.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gee2dasahn
I know there is a white one cruising around Old City (I got spanked in my TSX). Last week was some kind of anomaly; on my way to work I happened to see 1S8, 4 C6 V10's, 2 B8.5 V6Ts, and 1 C7 V8T (other than mine). Needless to say that I was blubbering about it like an idiot all day.

FYI, nice taste! I think we both have the Estoril with the Lunar Silver interior. Mine is a fright/embarrassment and in serious need of detailing. I blame it on non-existent kids lol.
I have kids, so I guess I can blame them and their soccer careers for a lack of car-detailing time. I have new stuff I want to try on the car but haven't taken the time to do it. I haven't even washed it in about three weeks, which is pretty sad. Now, I kind of want to wait until I have my mirror back.

You're right - lunar silver interior. It's one of my favorite features of the car, and one that people really tend to notice the first time they get into the car. Not sure how great the seats will look at 100,000 miles, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Hoping to get through November on my summer tires, then I'll switch to my winter wheel/tire set (with Blizzaks that cost more than 2x as much as the BF Goodrich I have on the car during warmer months).
Old 11-10-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

My mirror is repaired! I really missed being able to see what's on my right side. Looks great, too. I was afraid to pull off the door panel, so I punted to a friend of the family who's a mechanic. He did the job in 30 minutes - the dealer said it would cost $385.20 to remove the door panel and screw on a fully-assembled mirror!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looking good.