S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

C63 S Coupe or Audi S6? Need help deciding!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C63 S Coupe or Audi S6? Need help deciding!

Debating between the C63 S Coupe and the Audi S6. Which would you choose and why? I have no preference over coupe vs sedan. The car will be used as a daily driver and I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years.

Test drove the S6 and loved it... unfortunately no C63 coupes in the area for me to test drive but the reviews are making it difficult for me to choose!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Honestly, these are very different cars. The S6 is a sedated, quiet, insulated, drama free fast executive sedan and the C63 S is a GT coupe with an attitude and the exhaust note to prove it. I would pick the C63. I currently have an RS5 and the S6 bored me. It's fast and all, but it's a living room on wheels. The S6 has noise cancellation to keep the interior serene and the C63 doubles up on the exhaust noise, so you know that you are driving something with power and it smokes up the rear tires if you give it the beans. I'm frankly not sure how somebody would even cross shop these two. You either want an understated, quiet, fast AWD saloon or you want a loud, smoking tire super GT coupe.

The C63 S is actually on my short list as a replacement for my RS5. I would only consider an S6 if I needed four doors all of a sudden and I couldn't swing an RS7 with the DRC suspension, otherwise I would smack myself for driving around such a boat. My fun driving is mostly done in the California canyons and the S6 isn't exactly at home on those kinds of roads. It's much more at home going straight on the German Autobahn at high speeds and in comfort.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-29-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

superswiss is dead on....it makes no sense to cross-shop these two cars, yet that is exactly what happened to me. I am stationed in Thailand and travel a lot, but was dead set on the C63s coupe without the opportunity to see it in person much less test drive it. Everything I read, everything I researched from the motor to the interior led me to think this was indeed the car I wanted. I hadn't even considered the S6. I didn't care for the M3/4 much and wanted a V-8. I placed an order and paid a deposit with my diplomatic sales person for the C63s Coupe and was happy and confident in my decision for delivery upon my return to the States after my current assignment.

I was fortunate enough to travel back to the States last week for meetings and was able to test drive the C63s coupe. Walking up to it, I got chills as this car looked fantastic on the exterior. I opened the door and to my great surprise, was underwhelmed completely with the interior. Its seemingly well-built, but I couldn't stand the ipad-look afterthought screen and as modern as the interior looks -- it just didn't seem that nice to me. I didn't care for the column shifter and as good as the interior looked via pictures online, in person it just didn't grab me.

Devastated, I called my dip salesperson immediately and put a hold on the order while I decided what to do. Reluctantly, I decided to research cars in that price range, with a decent motor. I happened upon the S6, and the next day went and test drove a 2016 model. I was floored and shocked that I would like this car. For me, the interior was handsome and well thought out; I loved the screen in between the driver's gauges, and the exterior, while understated, was very good looking in person. The fact that you can hide the pop-up screen is just one example of the subtle touches Audi does that puts it over the top of two equally nice cars. I called back my salesperson and switched my order to the S6.

In real-world daily driving I think I will find the S6 just as fun, just as engaging. I never planned on tracking the C63s. Plus, having to move back to D.C. next summer the AWD is a practical choice. Sure, the C63s Coupe is a beautiful beast of a car, but it was far more capable than I would ever use it. To my surprise, practicality won the day and will now have usable rear seats, a fast engine, and (again, to me) a better interior -- contrary to everything I had researched online. I hope I don't get flamed for this seeing how this is my first post but I likened the C63s as a smoking hot woman with a subpar personality and the S6 to a very attractive woman with poise, grace and sinister behind closed doors.

I hope you will have the opportunity to test the C63s for yourself because only you will know if a beast of a coupe or a practical, handsome and very fast sedan is right for you.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
Honestly, these are very different cars. The S6 is a sedated, quiet, insulated, drama free fast executive sedan and the C63 S is a GT coupe with an attitude and the exhaust note to prove it. I would pick the C63. I currently have an RS5 and the S6 bored me. It's fast and all, but it's a living room on wheels. The S6 has noise cancellation to keep the interior serene and the C63 doubles up on the exhaust noise, so you know that you are driving something with power and it smokes up the rear tires if you give it the beans. I'm frankly not sure how somebody would even cross shop these two. You either want an understated, quiet, fast AWD saloon or you want a loud, smoking tire super GT coupe.

The C63 S is actually on my short list as a replacement for my RS5. I would only consider an S6 if I needed four doors all of a sudden and I couldn't swing an RS7 with the DRC suspension, otherwise I would smack myself for driving around such a boat. My fun driving is mostly done in the California canyons and the S6 isn't exactly at home on those kinds of roads. It's much more at home going straight on the German Autobahn at high speeds and in comfort.
Yes you are correct. I want the loud, smoking tire super GT coupe while the wife wants the understates, quiet, fast AWD saloon. This is whats making my decision so hard! I love the coupe exhaust note while my wife prefers the quieter sedan for long distance purposes.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Interesting. I love the interior of the coupe as opposed to you. I have seen a C43 coupe in person and they're fairly similar interior wise so I do not think that would bother me. The screen does seem a bit out of place but does not bother me that much.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dp61627
Yes you are correct. I want the loud, smoking tire super GT coupe while the wife wants the understates, quiet, fast AWD saloon. This is whats making my decision so hard! I love the coupe exhaust note while my wife prefers the quieter sedan for long distance purposes.
I solved that problem by giving the wife her own car :-). Having said that, though, cars like the C63 and in my case the RS5 have a Jekyll & Hyde personality. They can be driven in a sedate and quiet manner around town and on long distances. I love doing road trips in my RS5. In comfort mode, it's quiet and comfortable and I have the creature comforts such as adaptive cruise control. The C63 just like the RS5 has a valved exhaust, to keep them quiet for touring purposes. Such is the character of a good GT. It's supposed to be quiet and comfortable when driven normally, but turn into a beast when you open it up. They do bark angrily on cold starts, but quickly settle down to more of a purring until you wake up the beast. At US highway speeds these cars are sedate and don't wear you out. That was definitely not the case during my European Delivery trip, though. Going 155mph+ on the German Autobahn was accompanied by a constant scream from the engine and exhaust. Lots of fun during the honeymoon period, but probably would be tiring after a while, but once slowed down to more sedate travel speeds, the cat calms down :-).

The Jekyll & Hyde personality is why I went with the RS5. I can drive it normally around town, on road trips and with the wife in the car and I don't get complaints from anyone, and then when I'm out on my own in the canyons, I have a beast of a car.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
I solved that problem by giving the wife her own car :-). Having said that, though, cars like the C63 and in my case the RS5 have a Jekyll & Hyde personality. They can be driven in a sedate and quiet manner around town and on long distances. I love doing road trips in my RS5. In comfort mode, it's quiet and comfortable and I have the creature comforts such as adaptive cruise control. The C63 just like the RS5 has a valved exhaust, to keep them quiet for touring purposes. Such is the character of a good GT. It's supposed to be quiet and comfortable when driven normally, but turn into a beast when you open it up. They do bark angrily on cold starts, but quickly settle down to more of a purring until you wake up the beast. At US highway speeds these cars are sedate and don't wear you out. That was definitely not the case during my European Delivery trip, though. Going 155mph+ on the German Autobahn was accompanied by a constant scream from the engine and exhaust. Lots of fun during the honeymoon period, but probably would be tiring after a while, but once slowed down to more sedate travel speeds, the cat calms down :-).

The Jekyll & Hyde personality is why I went with the RS5. I can drive it normally around town, on road trips and with the wife in the car and I don't get complaints from anyone, and then when I'm out on my own in the canyons, I have a beast of a car.
Have you driven the C63s coupe? If its just like the RS5 and how you described it, then I definitely think I can persuade the wife to enjoy it just as much as I will lol. Her biggest fear is that the car will be too loud to the point where it's annoying but I have no experience with the exhaust valves that open and close so I'm not too sure how much of a difference it'd make in interior cabin noise.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dp61627
Have you driven the C63s coupe? If its just like the RS5 and how you described it, then I definitely think I can persuade the wife to enjoy it just as much as I will lol. Her biggest fear is that the car will be too loud to the point where it's annoying but I have no experience with the exhaust valves that open and close so I'm not too sure how much of a difference it'd make in interior cabin noise.
No I haven't driven the C63S yet, but based on reviews I'm not expecting it to be much different in this regard. At the end of the day, it's still a Mercedes. I bought my RS5 without ever driving one and I wasn't disappointed.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the 2016 C63 Sedan, and just bought a S6.
The Benz is a fun car, but I feel like a rich teenager driving it.
It's totally geared toward a younger crowd.
It gets a million looks, the S6... more looks from the older crowd.

Last edited by Agelai; 01-31-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Wrong year entered
Old 01-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And I'm not even old. I don't think anyway. Crap, how old am I?
Oh right, 37. Damn, that is old.