S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Death to Cylinder Deactivation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadAboutCars
Thanks, saw that thread out there as well, I'm schrajw on Audizine. Just need module 01 security access key for a MY17 S6 and we might be in business.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so have some results to report back with. Did the mentioned adaptation using security code 20103 (not sure why that key didn't work prior, maybe the engine ECM was in temporary protection mode or something). Selected to run the engine in all cylinder operation full time from the drop down menu. The controller accepted the new value, but I immediately got an engine MIL with a DTC stating cyl deactivation was inactive (intermittent). The engine and EPC lights stayed on the dash the entire time driving but... no more cylinder deactivation! Drove in every mode and combination of settings possible, and it never dropped out of 8 cyl mode.

However... I then cycled the ignition off and restarted the car... the engine controller apparently resets the adaptation value each time you stop/start the vehicle. So, we're on the right track, just need to figure out how to make it stick through power cycling the ignition. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone have any further info to offer on this? Last discussed here and on Audizine, a few folks were going to speak to various ECM tuners to see if they'd be willing to offer a reprogram feature. Just curious if anyone has had permanent success with the deactivation?
Old 04-01-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I have been following this topic with real interest, and I'm happy to see at least a partial work around via transmission and traction control in sport mode.

I'm looking into both S6 and S8, and everything I've seen is based upon S6 experience, and I'm curious if the same work around applies with the S8, since there are different transmissions for each car.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just because this topic is still rather active, I was curious to ask:
Why does the CDA bug you so?
I have to admit I don't feel it or hear switch over, ever. It's kind of a nice side benefit that you are conserving some fuel, and CO2 emissions, and I say that as a non-environmentalist, after all I didn't buy the S6 because of it's great fuel mileage. And I am typing this on the fly, but I think someone pointed out earlier in the thread that if you put the vehicle into full Dynamic mode, and shut traction control off, it never activates.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Mike, it doesn't bug me too much, and even less so now that you tell me that you don't hear or feel the switchover.

And I did realize from the thread that it could be deactivated on the S6, but I was also curious whether it could be deactivated in a similar fashion on an S8, if anyone knew. I assume it could, but I don't like to rely on assumptions. Mike
Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dose not bother me at all and I would never switch to a tune that cancel this either! Audi put so much work into this why in the wold would you want it off??
Old 04-10-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Mike, it doesn't bug me too much, and even less so now that you tell me that you don't hear or feel the switchover.

And I did realize from the thread that it could be deactivated on the S6, but I was also curious whether it could be deactivated in a similar fashion on an S8, if anyone knew. I assume it could, but I don't like to rely on assumptions. Mike
There was another thread where i tested this out...I have a 16 s8 plus and only way to completely doable cylinder deactivation is to be in dynamic mode and have traction control off
Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since cylinder deactivation is tied with EPA numbers/emissions this is going to be a tough one to find a solution to.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I just don't see the issue with this feature. I can never tell when it has turned on or off, the car just pulls strong every time I ask it to. I see no practical reason to disable it.

Quick Reply: Death to Cylinder Deactivation